Shower leak! (2 Viewers)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed.

Just got back from only our second trip out in our Ixeo Time 745.

I had noticed a couple of times on this trip and the first trip, water outside the shower but assumed it was the way the door opened outwards was dripping onto the floor and just put a towel down to catch the drips.

However, gave the shower a good clean when we got back and washed down the walls with the shower and I was shocked to see water pooling out from under the wood trim at the bottom of the shower, all over the floor.

I cleared this up as best as I could, from what came out but no idea how much went to other places under the shower!

It is clear the shower is actually far from being watertight, anyone else have shower problems or is it just my bad luck?

Robin

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Nearly always due to the sealing or cracked shower tray. I’ve said a thousand times on this forum you shouldn’t use chemicals to clean plastic ABS showers, not saying you do but warm soapy water is de rigeur.
Phil

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Is it the shower or the drain pipework? We had a leak in the washroom on our Burstner 680, turned out to be one of the push fit connections hadn't been fully pushed into place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
As above try checking the poor work first it might of just popped off.
You say second trip? Is this new to you? Take it back to dealer hopefully under some kind of warranty

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
First thing is to look at all the sealant around the shower tray/walls

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Yes new to me but as I purchased and took delivery 1 week before lockdown, I have had it quite a while, don't think dealer will be interested! :-(

I use Thetford Bathroom cleaner, nothing else, so should be fine for this purpose?

I don't think it is a pipe as there would have bee more water when showering, but having cleaned the walls with the Thetford spray, I washed them down, I think it is the wall at the side, which 'normally' does not get too wet is where the problem is!

I am thinking of applying some kind of silicone sealant, is this advisable and if s, is there a specific one for motorhome/caravan type showers?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes new to me but as I purchased and took delivery 1 week before lockdown, I have had it quite a while, don't think dealer will be interested! :-(

I use Thetford Bathroom cleaner, nothing else, so should be fine for this purpose?

I don't think it is a pipe as there would have bee more water when showering, but having cleaned the walls with the Thetford spray, I washed them down, I think it is the wall at the side, which 'normally' does not get too wet is where the problem is!

I am thinking of applying some kind of silicone sealant, is this advisable and if s, is there a specific one for motorhome/caravan type showers?
Don't get what you mean do you think the wall is permeable it sounds pretty unlikely. I got really worried about water leaking from the shower in our first motorhome until I realised that it was when we were on a slight slope and the water then went on the side wall and when it ran down followed the shower tray/wall junction and onto the floor. I think you need to get someone using the shower then look where the water comes from.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I have just run the shower again, certainly does not appear to be leaking from shower tray or pipework, almost certainly I think from one of the areas in the photo's!

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hard to see the layout from those photos. I wonder if anyone on here has the same shower.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Did you have the van during winter? A hard frost can crack pipes and joinings underneath the shower base.
Not sure of your van layout but on mine I found a push fit joint had cracked underneath and it was the drain from the sink in my shower room. This water was then running back in to the main floor of the van. I had (tight) access from my cassette locker and only just managed to replace the piece.

Can you access under your shower from any outside locker to see if anything is going on?

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
ked upi the van in March this year!, bloody good thing that was!

pictures attached showing shower, the shower tray is rock solid, the pipework is fine as I ran a load of water straight into shower tray and not a drop came out, and I don't recall seeing much when we were away.

When I washed the walls down with the spray, THAT was when loads of water came out, it appeared from under the wood on the bottom left hand side.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Any thoughts of best sealant to use?

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Those walls come out pretty easily when you take the screws out. I had to fit a new mixer tap to my shower last year. I’d be trying to find out what’s gone wrong before chucking a load of sealant everywhere. If you aren’t too keen then get a caravan repair / service chap to have a look. It’ll save you a lot of money in the end.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
IF you do seal it, don't use silicone, use sikaflex or another urethane based sealant like puraflex 40

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
Just a (possibly daft) thought. Did you have the shower door open when you were washing the walls down with the shower cleaner? Is it possible that the shower door seals the door jamb when it's closed, but not when it's open?

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi Beryl

Nice idea AND where I thought water might have been coming from.

Unfortunately it is coming out from under the wood trim around the shower tray, so that is not where the issue is! :-(

Robin

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Those walls come out pretty easily when you take the screws out. I had to fit a new mixer tap to my shower last year. I’d be trying to find out what’s gone wrong before chucking a load of sealant everywhere. If you aren’t too keen then get a caravan repair / service chap to have a look. It’ll save you a lot of money in the end.

I am not a gret DIYer I have to say, give me a computer and I am fine, muck around with water or decoration and I am bloody useless!

However, I was looking at the shower walls, the panels behind the shower head area, all seem to have screws but the ones by the door hinge, which is where I think the leak is, do not!

Robin

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
IF you do seal it, don't use silicone, use sikaflex or another urethane based sealant like puraflex 40

Thanks for the recommendation, will give it another look before getting sealant!

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Is it the shower or the drain pipework? We had a leak in the washroom on our Burstner 680, turned out to be one of the push fit connections hadn't been fully pushed into place
We had a similar situation with our Adria Coral 670. Investigated under warranty and it turned out to be the push-fit (hot water) feed into the mixer tap had not been correctly pushed. It took them ages to find it and they only did when they turned the water heater on and ran the shower hot and cold.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Only happens when I spray the back/side of shower.

if I spray the front of shower (behind shower head) all is fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back