Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the advice Ian. I guessed the cover strip might be glued in. I'm just wondering whether I can get at the LED strip through the downlighters. I don't want to damage the cover strip. You'd think Dethleffs would have made this more accessible...

Apr 22, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 275
Exp
Since 2002
You won't be able to get to light strip because its plastic tied at various locations around the U shape of the back end.... Sorry to say you have to take the plastic cover of ...... it is easy to re-apply if you want to keep it though..... I renewed mine because it was warped from the excessive heat that the strip light produced...

Nov 8, 2018
Peak District, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Newbie, stayed on a few
20190818_182355.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
#IanLouise. Thanks for that. Thought that might be the case :(

I'm just going to have to have a go at this. I'll let you know how I get on... Cheers again. Really appreciate your help.

Nov 8, 2018
Peak District, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Newbie, stayed on a few
Your biased ! But seriously, they just seem to look the part wherever you go. We've had 'Delores' for a few months now and loving every minute we've been away. Everything seems well made and solid. I'm definitely a convert.

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Our very first outing at a brand new campsite in west Wales called Penrhyn Farm (www.penrhynfarmcamping.co.uk). Spectacular views, incredible coastline, great facilities, hardstandings, water, ehu - and lovely owners. We parked up here before we moved on to a level hardstanding.
IMG_5558.jpeg

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I use My Dethleffs Globebus for work, rest and play as a self-employed Motorhome and Caravan Habitation Technician Engineer.

Dethleffs- Good quality well designed Motorhomes.

I tow a small Tysse 6110 HC hydraulic box trailer.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0441 (1).JPG

Apr 22, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 275
Exp
Since 2002
Dethleffs seem to have got it right for at least the last 15yrs if not more, their build quality is very good, I'm going on the bases of the various vans i've owned or worked on over the years, definitely wouldn't buy British again (sad to say that though) I do favour German vans (not the Hobby though) as build/insulation/fixings are far better than the rivals at the same market price...

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Your biased ! But seriously, they just seem to look the part wherever you go. We've had 'Delores' for a few months now and loving every minute we've been away. Everything seems well made and solid. I'm definitely a convert.
Does everyone give their van a name? First thing a couple of our friends said when they saw ours for the first time was 'what are have you given it?'

Since we are in Wales perhaps we should call our's 'Myfanwy'. Translates to 'beloved'...

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
my van is old and battered do you rely want to see it :notworthy2:
Yes please Bill. Let’s just say it has character rather than old and battered even though after all of these years, it may have more character (y)

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Here you go!
View attachment 60943
This is "as bought" in 2011 and the picture is often referred to as the one where my lovely wife Andrea is counting the cost!
We spent years researching before we bought our first motorhome and it remains the perfect (for us) layout. I'm a bit of a tinkerer (not the Techno100 standard, mind) and have carried out many modifications, improvements and repairs. We have travelled to France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and are still to complete our circumnavigation of the UK.
Is now reregistered JJY 567 and has Smiley stickers, if anyone sees us stop or a chat. Quite often spotted in the paddock (or as near as we can get) as we support a classic Super Tourer, it's a red Nissan Primera if anyone remembers the late 90s BTCC racing.
Hope we meet up sometime
Steve
Hi Steve, out of interest, which model Advantage have you got and have you had a problem with the coolant light coming on (but coolant level okay), not starting (ignition problem) or mood lighting not working in bedroom area?

Thanks!

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Hi Steve, out of interest, which model Advantage have you got and have you had a problem with the coolant light coming on (but coolant level okay), not starting (ignition problem) or mood lighting not working in bedroom area?
Hi there, we have a 2008 T6951 with a 3 litre engine. We have had various issues with the coolant which was eventually resolved by replacing a chafed hose at the back of the engine. Its replacement came with "armour" fitted so Fiat obviously know about this problem. We've also had issues with water in the diesel filter which became impossible to resolve until our fuel filter succumbed to the famous leakage after a service. Needless to say, a replacement fuel filter assembly resolved both matters. The only reason I mention these as both faults threw up warning lights which seemed unfathomable whilst driving. Our internal lights have been fine!
I found a similar warning light symbol to yours in a x244 handbook - as you suspected "low water level". I expect this system operates by the water creating a circuit between two probes in which case any break in the circuit would bring the light on. Anyone know if I'm 20 years out of date?
By the way our van is called Morris and we have had more than our share of problems with the Schaudt electrical system and most recently with the Truma Combi heating.
Good luck sorting yours,
Steve

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Sorry, forgot to mention, ours is hard to start when the cab battery is a little low, such as after the van has been laid up for a few weeks. The engine turns over normally but the immobiliser kicks in preventing the engine from starting. I spot the key symbol coming up on the dash. To fix this I just lock the van and unlock quickly using the remote and she fires up. If the van has been on a hook up it starts straight away.
Steve

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Hi there, we have a 2008 T6951 with a 3 litre engine. We have had various issues with the coolant which was eventually resolved by replacing a chafed hose at the back of the engine. Its replacement came with "armour" fitted so Fiat obviously know about this problem. We've also had issues with water in the diesel filter which became impossible to resolve until our fuel filter succumbed to the famous leakage after a service. Needless to say, a replacement fuel filter assembly resolved both matters. The only reason I mention these as both faults threw up warning lights which seemed unfathomable whilst driving. Our internal lights have been fine!
I found a similar warning light symbol to yours in a x244 handbook - as you suspected "low water level". I expect this system operates by the water creating a circuit between two probes in which case any break in the circuit would bring the light on. Anyone know if I'm 20 years out of date?
By the way our van is called Morris and we have had more than our share of problems with the Schaudt electrical system and most recently with the Truma Combi heating.
Good luck sorting yours,
Steve
Hi Steve, Thanks for the info. Always useful to share the highs and the lows. We are so new to all this and are still very precious about everything to do with the MH. Seems like you've had your fair share of issues but I'm willing to guess you've also had some terrific trips away in Morris. So we took ours back to our local garage where we recently had the cam belt changed. They immediately said 'sticky starter motor' as the cause of the intermittent starting problem (you turn the key and nothing happened except a 'click'). And they are going to have a look for the mysterious 'buzz' from the centre of the dashboard. Only buzzes when the engine is running - but not when ignition is on. And the phantom dull red coolant light has gone for now - or at least it did on the short run up to the garage in St Davids. So hopefully, the MH will be fine for our trip to Leamington Spa next week! Does yours have the mood lighting strip above the cupboards? Ours works in the kitchen/dining area but not in the bedroom area :(
IMG_5454.jpg
IMG_5456.jpg

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Hi Oldgustaf, if I had "that" sort of starting problem I think my first port of call would be the infamous earthing strap. Was thinking of changing mine as a precaution before problems strike. I thinks its gearbox to chassis under the air filter box. There are loads of references to this strap on this forum and the symptoms arising are nearly as varied as there are Fiats, including dash issues.
I had felt our van to be relatively trouble free compared to some. We have clocked up over 500 nights in Britain, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy.
By the way our bedroom mood lighting uses separate switch to the front. Maybe you have another switch to find. Ours is well hidden adjacent to a spot lamp.
Cheers
Steve

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Oldgustav, this is not our van but very similar. The switch is adjacent to the base of the left hand spotlight. As you can see its hidden unless you are looking for it.
Cheers
Steve
LOW BED.jpg

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Steve. Yes, the bedroom light switch is in a slightly strange, slightly awkward place - as is the dining area light switch. In the bedroom the down lighters come on but not the mood lighting strip. The strip is a bugger to remove, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Like your island bed layout. As this is our first MH and we started by looking at 6m vehicles, 7.4m seemed too long for us, so we ended up at 6.95m (and a French bed).

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Ah, I'm thinking I may be the one who is confused! When you mentioned downlighters it dawned on me that the switch to which I was referring may be for them. I'll pop out later and check it all out!
Steve

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
When I can get up the courage I'm going to remove the plastic strip above the bedroom cupboards and replace the lighting 'rope'. MH is back with our local garage having new starter motor and new egr solenoid - it s this that is buzzing. The coolant warning light goes out when the MH is driven. If it persists we may end up sending the unit to Cartronix.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back