Show us your best homemade levellers. (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
After the 3rd set of Millenco levellers gave up the ghost and noticing that a lot of Jonny Foreigners make their own, we have decided to go down this route.

Please share your designs, good or bad?:D

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
luister.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Mine are buried in the locker somewhere. I made them out of 2 pieces of timber about 8x2 one longer than the other, so it bumps up twice and I can feel which level I'm on.

I screwed them together then drilled loads of 20mm holes through them to reduce weight. They look a right abortion but work very well... And they float as we found out in Benidorm one day (La Torreta floods)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I prefer the stepped ones so you don't have to pull the handbrake up to the ceiling :D2

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you’re staying put, why not use a couple of axle stands ?

( apologies for offering a sensible solution...........!!!)
I am in shock Dave!

Seriously though will axle stands take the weight of 5 tonnes. Also they may be a bit heavy to travel with.

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Went to Putsborough Sands site, you know the one, where you go down a very windy track from 'hell'. Got to the barrier at the end and paid through the nose for a tiny strip of tarmac. The view was so
IMG_5808.JPG
stunning, we stayed a second night.

However to level up, I had to let out the air from my OSR airbag and climb up onto a rock with the NSF wheel. Despite the photo angle, we were parked absolutely level thanks to our improvised 'rock ramp'.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had a quick look, most are 3 tonnes, but saw these on amazon.

That said, if it’s for levelling, you’re only going to raise the front end, so half the weight of the van.
Amazon product ASIN B00GM32PG6
But how are you getting the axle stands under the van and at the right height? you need some hydraulic legs fitting to help get the stands under;)

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
But how are you getting the axle stands under the van and at the right height? you need some hydraulic legs fitting to help get the stands under;)

Martin
Didn’t know that, thought they’d fit under when wound down, allowing you to wind them up to the desired height? Seen lots of vans on them, and they were little old ones too which would not have had hydraulic jacks ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Martin
5 tonne trolley jack of course :ROFLMAO:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Didn’t know that, thought they’d fit under when wound down, allowing you to wind them up to the desired height? Seen lots of vans on them, and they were little old ones too which would not have had hydraulic jacks ?
Most axle stands I have seen have a pin through, I bought some to go under our van when the wheels are off I think they are 3t SWL and are so tall I needed block under the jacks just to get the stands under the axle.

Martin

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Arguably, use the wheel jack to raise each side at a time and slip the stand under?
Obviously not the best solution for travelling, but if parked up for a while maybe a cost effective and simple solution. Just my musings!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Martin
I knew someone would bring up the hydraulic legs sooner or later :confused:- the next van for sure but don't want to spend that much on this van.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The axle stands also could be a problem on sloping ground as the base of the jack would not be level, or so Colin has just told me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
in two words>. Milenco Quatro..

you won't break them.. Fiamma are for caravans or small camper vans

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Love the ones made up by Enword. But it seems manufacturers are missing a trick.
I’ve lost count of how many different chocks, blocks and ramps I have bought over the years, none of which ever did the job quite right or just plain broke. Obviously the larger the Motorhome and wheel diameter the harder it becomes to find the right kit to get level and without taking up all your available locker space with a giant leveller.

Whilst looking online to see what else was available I stumbled across an Australian website. They offered large levellers that slid together in different sections allowing you to add steps until you reached the correct level. A genius idea that came apart for easy storage and gave you a flat surface for the tyre without the need to yank the handbrake to its absolute maximum. Unfortunately they did not ship to the U.K. and Australia is a bit of a schlepp in the MH.

Both our Hymer A Classes have been nose low and because of the habitation door being on the off side we always have to park nose first. Invariably pitches seem to slope down making levelling even more challenging.

After my last giant set of Millenco levellers broke on the first outing I decided to tackle the problem a different way. Not willing to splash out huge sums cash on a self levelling system I opted for some new Goldschmitt springs which have not only transformed the ride quality but have also raised the front height by about 5cms. With careful pitch selection I now hardly ever have to use any extra levelling which now means SWMBO and I can have one less heated debate on “how far to the edge”.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
in two words>. Milenco Quatro..

you won't break them.. Fiamma are for caravans or small camper vans

Broken several big lumps out of mine. Think it's a case of too much torque & too much grip but lumps keep break In g off the tops.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used scaffolding board and decking linked together with webbing straps, you could stack then to make them higher or lower also useful when stuck in soft ground. Now we have got the jacks we use them to give us a bit extra height if needed. Each piece used to be 1 bits of decking and 2 bits of scaffold board.

IMG_20180723_160218.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back