Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Peep’s
I have a 2008 Autotrail with a stick on the window tom tom 6000, what I would like to do is get a factory fitted one the same as some of the newer Fiats have, I was wondering if these sat navs are anygood and any feedback on them would be more than welcomed.
Many Thanks Tony

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just a personal opinion, but I would never get a factory fitted satnav in preference to a stand alone unit.

Much prefer the versatility of them.... and the updating of maps.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Just a personal opinion, but I would never get a factory fitted satnav in preference to a stand alone unit.

Much prefer the versatility of if them.... and the updating of maps.
Can't you update the fitted ones then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
My Fiat has been updated via stick and shows the new A556 on it but my new Merc, September ‘17 shows me driving through fields.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not all factory fitted satnavs are accurate - sometimes when we use the new A556 we see this bloke in a '17 reg Merc driving through the fields. :)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Hi Peep’s
I have a 2008 Autotrail with a stick on the window tom tom 6000, what I would like to do is get a factory fitted one the same as some of the newer Fiats have, I was wondering if these sat navs are anygood and any feedback on them would be more than welcomed.
Many Thanks Tony
Do you mean that you would like to fit a double din unit?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We bought a fitted unit new off ebay uk, all singing and dancing model put your own choice of sat nav on it ,we use copilot camper and it updates itself when near wifi point,

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Personal experience...

Had a Swift Escape with TomTom as you say, part of the radio head unit. Tom Tom allows for a map update within 3 months of registration of vehicle, then you have to pay. The version of the TomTom software is NOT the Camper version, which they no longer support. The version fitted in Fiats cannot have things like camping site POIs added. I gave up on it and bought a Garmin Camper and had it on the dash with the Garmin "Bean bag" mount.

My Garmin is the 7" version and when I changed to the Mercedes based Autolseeper I have now, it swapped out for the 5" version that is supplied as part of the spec that includes a reversing camera. My 7" version just plugged into the 5" charger/supply cable and the camera just worked! Use it in the car as well. Bigger display than the head unit display in the Fiat.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We specifically chose a unit without an inbuilt satnav function because I had read so many issues pertaining to bad design and poor update capabilities.

Also, if you have an inbuilt satnav fitted then after a few years they can look quite dated compared to modern gear.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had the Factory fitted unit in our previous motorhome, even after updating it which I had to pay for after the first free update, it was as much use as a chocolate fireguard, it used to take you off a roundabout change its mind after about 3 miles and ask you to u-turn take you back to the roundabout and then try to direct you down the same road, and you can only enter POI's manually one at a time.
We now use a standalone Garmin 760 much better.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Wouldn't a stand-alone sat nav be better as you could have it in another vehicle!?!?:)
Up to a point your right, as my original txt, I have a Tom Tom 6000 with full maps updates free and traffic as well, this is mainly a want thing as I would rather have the windscreen clear and not have to set the thing up with wires etc every time. Most people would say that’s no problem, and they are right but it a, what I would like anyway. Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We bought a fitted unit new off ebay uk, all singing and dancing model
Wow @Lofty1 I like the look of that, not sure if I would have the experience or confidence to fit it tho. Can’t see how you would fit your own sat nav to that tho? Did it take a long time to fit? Best Wishes Tony

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Wow @Lofty1 I like the look of that, not sure if I would have the experience or confidence to fit it tho. Can’t see how you would fit your own sat nav to that tho? Did it take a long time to fit? Best Wishes Tony
Came with the adaptors to fit all that I had to use was the two pin extractors to remove the old one and the rest just plugged straight in, you need to quote the year when buying as mine was for a 2014 model, and you can purchase which sat system to run off google play I think copilot is on offer for about £30.fitted in 30 min as I like to take my time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted a Clarion double DIN unit with satnav to my last van, when I changed vans I put a cheap unit in the last van and the Clarion is now in my current van. Uses the IGO Prima satnav software which I like and not too expensive to up date as they have 20% discount offers at least once a year, just updated it for the first time cost £60 & unit is nearly 4 years old now.

A word of warning with double DIN units avoid the Pioneer current drain is horrendous.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I fitted a Clarion double DIN unit with satnav to my last van, when I changed vans I put a cheap unit in the last van and the Clarion is now in my current van. Uses the IGO Prima satnav software which I like and not too expensive to up date as they have 20% discount offers at least once a year, just updated it for the first time cost £60 & unit is nearly 4 years old now.

A word of warning with double DIN units avoid the Pioneer current drain is horrendous.
We've got a pioneer camper version and have not noted the problems you mention.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We've got a pioneer camper version and have not noted the problems you mention.
The latest Pioneer unit are quoted a max current of 10 amps in normal use they use around 6 amps, I know a couple of people with them that have ended up with flat batteries. By comparison my Clarion is speced at max 4 amps averages about 2 amps, I've wired mine to the leisure battery.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting. I installed a double-din Pioneer unit a year ago, and just recently ended up with an unexpected flat battery!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry had to give that a funny, started chuckling when read it.

Carthago by any chance?
The way they are wired through their media system causes problems, radio doesn't always turn off.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
.... s’not funny :-(

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our Motorhome came with a dealer fitted Kenwood double DIN unit in the Fiat cab which included FM/DAB radio, CD/DVD, twin reversing camera, bluetooth and Garmin truck sat nav where you can put the size and weight of your moho in. It has a touchscreen and works well for us. You can have split screen, so sat nav one side and rear camera view on the other side say. The problem is that, unlike phone sat navs, you have to pay for map updates. Did it last year and it cost £50. I think I will do it every 3 years or so rather than annually.

Last edited:

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Personlly , I would go for the standalone units as more versatile & multi use if ya have another vehicle ... Use mine when on lekky bike so ideal ... bur personal choice of course of have two ...

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Our motorhome came with a dealer-fitted Kenwood too. It was very slow and the satnav always disagreed with Copilot on my iPad. I had to use the navigatrice in the passenger seat as referee. I wasn’t sure which to chuck out, but the Kenwood drew the short straw. And so I got the Pioneer unit. Frying pan into the fire, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Carthago by any chance?
The way they are wired through their media system causes problems, radio doesn't always turn off.

Hymer. Fitted by an independent electrical engineer who almost had a fit when he pulled out the Kenwood. A complete rats nest of wiring behind the panel with no labelling...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hymer. Fitted by an independent electrical engineer who almost had a fit when he pulled out the Kenwood. A complete rats nest of wiring behind the panel with no labelling...
I recomend you wire it to the hab battery there is at least one spare continously live output on the Elektroblock.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, I was considering having a switch installed so that we can play music powered from the hab batteries.

Cheers...Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back