Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
I returned to my parked VW T5 campervan to find a passing vehicle had hit the driver's side mirror and broken it right off. The driver had stopped to leave the mirror on my windscreen, but then driven off.

I rang my breakdown insurance, and an AA man arrived within 10 minutes. It looked as if there was no way to reattach the mirror. But he set to work with masses of sticky tape and little wooden splints he made, and reattached the body of it. The glass was gone, so he got a sheet of plastic out of his van, trimmed it to shape, and stuck it on to serve as mirror glass, so the vehicle was legally driveable. The whole job took him about 1/2 hour.

I was tremendously impressed and grateful, and wanted to show it. But is an AA man some-one you can tip? I didn't know, so in the end I just shook his hand and said I appreciated it, but it seemed inadequate. OK, I know he gets paid, and I pay a lot in annual subscription, but what he did was really above and beyond what I had thought possible.

So, is an AA man some-one you can/should tip?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I returned to my parked VW T5 campervan to find a passing vehicle had hit the driver's side mirror and broken it right off. The driver had stopped to leave the mirror on my windscreen, but then driven off.

I rang my breakdown insurance, and an AA man arrived within 10 minutes. It looked as if there was no way to reattach the mirror. But he set to work with masses of sticky tape and little wooden splints he made, and reattached the body of it. The glass was gone, so he got a sheet of plastic out of his van, trimmed it to shape, and stuck it on to serve as mirror glass, so the vehicle was legally driveable. The whole job took him about 1/2 hour.

I was tremendously impressed and grateful, and wanted to show it. But is an AA man some-one you can tip? I didn't know, so in the end I just shook his hand and said I appreciated it, but it seemed inadequate. OK, I know he gets paid, and I pay a lot in annual subscription, but what he did was really above and beyond what I had thought possible.

So, is an AA man some-one you can/should tip?
Personally I do because although they're there in times of trouble, it's the relief and thanks to the individual rather than the company. Many will no doubt disagree

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I had my American pick up recovered at about 10 in the evening when a fuel injection issue cut out the engine, the chap only took me home about 7 miles and I gave him a tenner and said to get himself a breakfast..
I only tip people that don't moan and have a chat with me just makes things go better if they are sociable...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Being a Yorkshire lass, I tend not to tip, even for a job well done.
BUT
if someone's gone BEYOND their job and put themselves out to help me, then I'll tip (in the same spirit as if a neighbour had helped me I might get them a bottle of something)
So in your case @goodmorrow I think I would have done - not for the speedy 10 minute response but for the effort and ingenuity.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
What I have done in the passed is tipped the breakdown chappie - RAC, then e-mailed a thanks to that man to their head office. Hopefully they pass it to his management.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I tip anyone who I think has gone beyond what is expected of them. I remember starting at the bottom and like to think if I went the extra mile that it was appreciated. I know some Breakdown service people are on a decent wage but a bit of beer money will cheer anyone up.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
For the service you had.......... Yes,at the time. If there is a contact number or the chaps name on the invoice,i am with @Zigisla,this will give him some Brownie points in the future .
Tea Bag

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Always. My van stopped the other week, didnt have my tools with me and had to call them, guy landed , pissing with rain, cracked on and sorted the broken wire , 10 mins done, didnt impact my day, so was well happy. I was away on a race trip that night , so would have been a pain, he said he was done after me and was off to spain, for a week, so i tipped him 10 Euro as i had no english cash..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had all kinds of tips...a potted plant, a couple of goose eggs, a bar of chocolate.....but the cash tips were always appreciated most.
You could always tell the non drinkers though....."here you are lad, get yourself a pint", a quid !!!! :LOL:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Being a Yorkshire lass, I tend not to tip, even for a job well done.
BUT
if someone's gone BEYOND their job and put themselves out to help me, then I'll tip (in the same spirit as if a neighbour had helped me I might get them a bottle of something)
So in your case @goodmorrow I think I would have done - not for the speedy 10 minute response but for the effort and ingenuity.
You hit the nail on the head Yorkshire !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The AA always gets a tip from me, usually £3 . Him and the hairdressser are the only two likely to get more than a £1,

It's the sheer relief of not been stranded somewhere and in the cases where they fix it they have saved me a garage bill (y)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
The AA always gets a tip from me, usually £3 . Him and the hairdressser are the only two likely to get more than a £1,

It's the sheer relief of not been stranded somewhere and in the cases where they fix it they have saved me a garage bill (y)

Have you ever been stranded with your heated rollers in? :whistle:;)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've only ever needed breakdown services once and that was many years before I started caravanning and motorhoming. I was driving an old T reg Citroen Saxo back from the Lake District, when it failed.

Man arrived, he did his job which only took him a few minutes and he left.

I always say thank you and often email company bosses to pass on my appreciation of their staff, but until this thread, I never once considered that this is a trade where I should have tipped. I always tip the girl that cuts my hair and as long as the service is satisfactory, I always tip in restaurants, but that's it.

I can appreciate someone wanting to reward a person that goes out of their way, or above and beyond what is expected, but not just for someone doing their job. Also, with something as unexpected as a breakdown, it would be very unlikely that I would have cash on me anyway.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes I would always tip an AA man but a Black Cab driver never ever...(y)

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes I would always tip an AA man but a Black driver never ever...(y)

I think you might want to edit that post:D2

Deleted User
Would not have crossed m mind either to call the AA out for a broken mirror, I would have just assumed it was my responsibility to knock something up and get it repaired. Given he was happy to do it you have got me thinking why not and what else have I taken on that perhaps I should have called someone out for

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like about 10:1 in favour of tipping.

So I'll know next time, but it's too late for me to do anything for this time. So I've just now filled in an online feedback form, and rung the AA's comments line (found they actually have a menu option for leaving commendations), and said how pleased and grateful I was. I hope that will be passed on to him. I guess that's all I can do.

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Just noticed the replies saying they wouldn't have called the AA for a broken mirror. The entire assembly had been smashed off, and if I understand correctly it's illegal to drive without a driver's side mirror. There is virtually no view through my internal mirror because of the campervan's internal fittings, so I had no rear view (except to my left through the passenger door mirror). And there was no way of reattaching the mirror asembly until the AA man came up with his ingenious idea and the bits and pieces from his van.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I once for a job with them in the 80's and went through all the selection etc to their satisfaction but didn't get the job as I kept asking what the salary was. The man squirmed and twisted not giving an answer, but I found out it was very low, as the company (AA) expected you to get tips, and that was the way to make the money up. It would be below the minimum wage nowadays, I declined it as I needed to have a bit of security, also the holidays were short and paid only at that level. It is probably a bit more now but as it is now owned by Centrica, that well known benefit society, with the Fat Cat Bosses, it may not be any better.
The van I got to drive in the tests, was so noisy it made my old Chausson sound like a Rolls Royce. Crash Wallop Bang Bang Crash. Terrible noise with all the bits and tools jumping around, It didn't brake well either, probably 50%overloaded with bits.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fixed my own. I've be been in the AA since 1991 and I don't tip but I do endeavour to only call as a last resort. They make a sustainable profit from our joint membership and earned my loyalty
IMG_1991.JPG
4509BEEF-0B4C-4F34-9860-0F74E4083BCE.jpg

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
If they are pleasant, go the extra mile, and don't try to sell me anything then I would happily give them a tip.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I once for a job with them in the 80's and went through all the selection etc to their satisfaction but didn't get the job as I kept asking what the salary was. The man squirmed and twisted not giving an answer, but I found out it was very low, as the company (AA) expected you to get tips, and that was the way to make the money up. It would be below the minimum wage nowadays, I declined it as I needed to have a bit of security, also the holidays were short and paid only at that level. It is probably a bit more now but as it is now owned by Centrica, that well known benefit society, with the Fat Cat Bosses, it may not be any better.
The van I got to drive in the tests, was so noisy it made my old Chausson sound like a Rolls Royce. Crash Wallop Bang Bang Crash. Terrible noise with all the bits and tools jumping around, It didn't brake well either, probably 50%overloaded with bits.
Today's RAC 'technicians' are on £37000pa.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back