Should we go to Ireland next year? (1 Viewer)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We could say we have done most of Europe, even been the other side of the world on a number of occasions, but we have never been to Ireland......I am looking for 10 sensible reasons to visit next summer....I suppose the first reason will begin with "G".......perhaps all will begin with "G".....but would like to hear of any first hand experiences...pros and cons.....Language problems, motorhome friendly.....anything you like to post....Cheers..

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hmm. We’ve thought about it often but never done it. Although we’re only an hour or so from the Belfast crossing the costs are quite high and weather as bad/worse than here so we either head to Europe or up north.

Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
I have been lucky enough to stay in some remote parts of Donegal, visited Dublin and several other cities North and South. The history, rich culture, staggeringly beautiful architecture and landscapes and general friendliness of the people are good reasons to visit any part of Ireland.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have been to Ireland dozens of times. Not in a MoHo though.

Brilliant country. Friendly people. Stunning scenery. Great food and beer.

The language problem goes away after a few Guinnesses.! Broad Irish can be a bit difficult to translate depending on nthe area you are in.

If you do go you'll love it, especially if the weather is good. Enjoy.

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
If you decide to go, you'll find a warm welcome almost everywhere, great scenery, some of the best pubs in the world. It really is worth a visit.

Or maybe we should all go in convoy, take our stuff in shopping trolleys shit in their carparks, take anything we like, refuse to pay for anything, call anyone who challenges our behaviour racist bastards...

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I know we were very lucky with the weather, ? but we went in June 2015 for the month and could have stayed longer, we free camped every night, apart from one night on an aire, and if your inland you can stop at the marinas on the waterways, free to park but if you buy the card and you can use facilities/ showers / washing machines and so on. ?
Some places do have barriers and no camping signs, but the local motorhome community will put you right, check out https://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/
We did the whole of the Wild Atlantic Way, and the biggest problem in Ireland is disposing of your rubbish, the only thing you will see is litter bins, but even then it will have restricted access, so don't pass a bin without putting something in it. ?
The Irish are very friendly and when we have been looking for somewhere to park, took us into a field and pointed out the tap and told us where the toilets are to empty, ? and everytime we said its probably not his field. ?
The wild atlantic way has loads of toilets and taps, and the other nice thing was.......... ? once you pick up the signs there are no arguments on what way we are going. ?
We went Fishguard/ Rosslare and came back Dublin / Holyhead with Irish ferries because they had a deal on. ?
Enjoy we loved it. ? Bob.

Ps We buy bottle water for drinking, the water there can be brown or green I would think it's something to do with the peat. ?

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Beautiful and scenic.
Lots of wild camping available.
Publicans will always let you park up.
Campsites and food very expensive in southern Ireland, even lidls! I was quite shocked at their prices.
Campsites expensive as well. Probably looking at over €30 a night!.
But so pretty. And they talk to anyone, no urgency about anything.
There are some fb irish motorhome sites probably worth joining for info.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been loads of times working and taken the van once. Brillant country lovely friendly people, takes ages to get anywhere every time you drive or walk into a village everyone has to stop you and talk to you.
Artiral roads are fine others can be a bone shaker.
As Bob said getting rid of rubbish is quite a problem, Lidl normally have a big bin around the back, community tips charge to enter but you can walk in for free. Easy to get water at harbours, aways have a tap at the end of the pier fishermen gone in the evening so fill up then.
If you get good weather fabulous place but be prepared for a lot of rain, we managed a couple of weeks without rain.

A few pics from our trip.

P1030539.JPG

P1030588.JPG

P1030593.JPG

P1030623.JPG

P1030677.JPG

P1030702.JPG

P1030693.JPG

P1030730.JPG

P1030743.JPG

P1030820.JPG

P1030942.JPG

P1030956.JPG

P1040003.JPG

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
When is the best time of year to visit and are there likely to be any deals on ferry crossings from any of the companies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
We could say we have done most of Europe, even been the other side of the world on a number of occasions, but we have never been to Ireland......I am looking for 10 sensible reasons to visit next summer....I suppose the first reason will begin with "G".......perhaps all will begin with "G".....but would like to hear of any first hand experiences...pros and cons.....Language problems, motorhome friendly.....anything you like to post....Cheers..
Galway
Guinness
Great
Genuine
Gentle
Getaway
Gaelic hurling/football/coffee
Gealtach
Good
Gastro-pubs
Did I mention Galway

Phil( honoury Galway man)

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I'm there now, very quite, but still stunning scenery. and the food and Guinness is cracking. Currently in Donegal heading south towards Galway.
Then Dublin for xmas and out the bottom in february.
There is never bad weather, just bad preparation.
Diesel is cheaper than unleaded & cheaper than UK.
Pay a visit to Fat Freddy's, Shop St. Galway
Phil

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Recently returned from almost three weeks - the plan was to "do" the Wild Atlantic Way but there was more than enough to waylay use and we only got halfway. Sailed to Belfast then turned right and followed the coast. Planning to go back and finish next year, same time of year.

Would repeat all of the above - but we only paid for overnighting once, on a private aire 'cos it was close to Donegal which we wanted to see. Campercontact was excellent.

We got a very good deal through the CMC - saved our membership for 5 years in one go!

Have a look at our blog (in signature below).

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
just go its great north and south. went last year will go again when we get another van.
take waterproof gear and be prepared for the additional cost of everything.
derry was the only place that seemed a bit edgy but good to have a look around just the same.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
especially if the weather is good. Enjoy.
When I worked there in the 70's the only day it never appeared to rain was Sundays. We said it was so they could go to church in the dry.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Been over to the Connemara area a few times now, but tenting rather than Motorhome. Next year I'll be there in my PVC. But probably Spring rather than Autumn. Out on the West the weather can become stormy quite early in September (even a bumpy ride on the ferry from Wales), so whilst Ireland is supposed to be wet and rainy (it's green for a reason), May / June could be a nicer time.

Ferry costs are expensive, so find a discount if possible (but you will pay through the nose if you need to change plans later). Tesco Clubcard can be good, but the camping clubs also have some deals. Midweek travel usually cheaper than weekend.

Inevitably fuel costs is cheaper nearer to main inland towns. Get out to the west coast and you'll pay for the remote locality, but then you are putting something into the local economy.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Galway
Guinness
Great
Genuine
Gentle
Getaway
Gaelic hurling/football/coffee
Gealtach
Good
Gastro-pubs
Did I mention Galway

Phil( honoury Galway man)
Nearly hit the report button....I did say other than "G"...great reply...love it...

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Worked there a lot some time ago, Belfast,Dublin, Cork, Tuam and many others. Can't think of one good reason to go back. Very expensive ferry crossing and all that talk about about Guiness even the Irish brewers thought the best was brewed in England and it was.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some places can be very busy. I did the Ring of Kerry with my parents fifty years ago and it was very touristy then and the crowds haven't thinned much since I believe.

Areas which would interest me if we went would be the remote spots you can find on the west coast, the Burren for plants at the right time of the year and Cork for whale watching. :)

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yes, if only for the Guiness, mmmmm.

However, watch the toll roads, just when you think you have paid for them all you get a demand on your return for the one you didnt' see, didn't know about and wasn't told about from the same company that does all the dodgy car parks here in places like Laldi, Halfords etc FEC*KERS! To employ the vernacular.

As usual, I am getting increasingly threatening letter from them, and I am given to understand that its now in the hands of their vicious legal team who will demand a pint of my first borns blood.

Stop - your scaring me here.

But yes, GO, its a great place, if expensive!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Fabulous place, we’ll definitely go back one day. We only saw the top half, but that was amazing. Donegal is so beautiful, and NI is fantastic too. They have european-style aires in the north, and you can stay overnight at marinas both in the north and south. The people are very friendly and helpful.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Interesting postings.....we think further planning is called for, to get this trip going...found the points regarding Ireland being expensive of interest...but just how costly is it?...we have spent the past 3 summers in Norway, Sweden and Denmark...we found these trips to be expensive but we expected this before arriving and .intend returning someday

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm there now, very quite, but still stunning scenery. and the food and Guinness is cracking. Currently in Donegal heading south towards Galway.
Then Dublin for xmas and out the bottom in february.
There is never bad weather, just bad preparation.
Diesel is cheaper than unleaded & cheaper than UK.
As your there now, how many €’s is a pint of Guinness now..?

Interesting postings.....we think further planning is called for, to get this trip going...found the points regarding Ireland being expensive of interest...but just how costly is it?...we have spent the past 3 summers in Norway, Sweden and Denmark...we found these trips to be expensive but we expected this before arriving and .intend returning someday

The course fishing is really good...??

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bit puzzled about "expensive". We didn't really find it any more expensive than UK except for camp sites - which we didn't actually use anyway. Fuel was cheaper and there were plenty of places to park up for nothing. The Republic doesn't seem to go for the large supermarkets we're used to, so you're limited to the smaller independents who usually are a little dearer even over here.

Initially we though the ferry costs were very expensive but, as I've already posted, deals are available with the main clubs. Tesco vouchers can only be used for the full-price fares.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back