Should we consider a lunar with delamination rot to the floor ? (1 Viewer)

Boarder

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all we are looking at an 03 lunar with floor problems . We have viewed a van and the edges to the floor has rot / delamination of the floor . Looking underneath the edges and rear have some problems at the edges is it fixable or should we walk away ? The rest of the van is mint but am concerned wether the floor is fixable or is structural advise is appreciated .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion..... Walk away.
Repairing the floor beneath furniture, and it's all fixed around the outside edge, is going to be a total nightmare meaning removal of said furniture.
Leave it and it will only get worse.

If its confirmed it's ONLY delamination that can be repaired from below.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
For me I would walk away as that is what you can see, what about something that you can not see.
But at the same time googling to see if this is a common problem, which MIGHT just be related to the area you are aware of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Walk away - If the floor has rot from damp I suspect others areas do as well.

Replacing a floor could be a nightmare.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately only someone who is an expert in MH repair should ever, ever consider taking on something like this and then only if they've lost the plot! Seriously, don't even think about it ... even if it isn't too extensive (which it sounds like it is!) it wouldn't be a cheap or easy fix ... I hate to say it but it may well be that the MH is only useful for scrap/being a donor for someone doing their own PVC conversion.

OP
OP
Boarder

Boarder

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for you fast replies , my instinct told me it was best to walk away . I'm a joiner but the practicality of fixing a cracked egg worried me , it's a lovely van be we need to look at the resale ultimately, it is literally the 2 -3" edges but I figure the body is built off it ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm a joiner , it's a lovely van ?

Then you can fix it. Just make sure you buy it for peanuts.

There is a glorious mega thread on here where a member rescued his rotten MH, it's not rocket science just very laborious.

Of course at 03 age you want to be sure the rest is sound.

OP
OP
Boarder

Boarder

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sad because well fell in love with the van but our old dethletts van (93) is in better nick underneath .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Is it fixable? Yes but at high cost. Lots of labour
Is it structural? Yes
Dont walk away, run

As coachbuilt bodies are built, they start with the floor. The walls sit on the floor and skirts are added to cover the join. To repair you remove the skirts and furniture. Then support the walls and cut out sections of floor and replace. When finished, replace àll the furniture and skirts.

Basically rebuild the van

OP
OP
Boarder

Boarder

Free Member
Mar 20, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thought as much , hench the analogy of fixing a cracked egg . Will keep looking . Cheers for the advise . Why do they not build them on marine ply ? It's expensive but lasts infinitely longer

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why do they not build them on marine ply ? It's expensive but lasts infinitely longer
I brought this up in a recent thread but substitute phonelic ply for marine ply, after all trailer floors are made of it and invariably live outdoors all their life.
It was suggested, rightly so, it was the cost as you say and why build in something which will last but the manufacturers want you to buy another because this one has gone soggy.
There's no profit in longevity.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thought as much , hench the analogy of fixing a cracked egg . Will keep looking . Cheers for the advise . Why do they not build them on marine ply ? It's expensive but lasts infinitely longer
They dont use marine or pheynolic ply because they are heavier and more expensive. Newer vans from some makers now use grp under the floors to prevent road spray rotting floors. The biggest issue though is the side skirt cladding leaking and rotting floor edges and lower walls.

For the cost of these vans, they are cheaply made and unless you spend a fortune, not built to last

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't even consider looking at a Leaky Lunar, they don't get their name without reason.

From the way you describe it, sounds like water has been getting into the floor from the walls.
Run away, run, run, run.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If it was easy and cheap to fix the owners would have sorted it out before offering for sale.

I don't charge for my replies but that doesn't stop you offering ....

:D.
... stop tempting him ... you and I both know it would be a money pit. :rolleyes:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
My two penny’s worth is for some it would be an impossible undertaking for others not so, circumstances come to mind, as Brian suggested you would need to pick up the van for the lowest possible price, the labour for such a job would be £1000’s plus the parts. The biggest part of the task for me is how has the floor got wet in the first place, once that has been remedied the new floor can fitted. Is it a big job YES, is it beyond the scope of man NO. Good luck whichever your path.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You're a joiner get it bought if it's cheap, like 6 million dollar man... You can rebuild it... :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You're a joiner get it bought if it's cheap, like 6 million dollar man... You can rebuild it... :D2
... you do know that he wasn't real don't you ... ?:rolleyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wouldn't even consider looking at a Leaky Lunar, they don't get their name without reason.

From the way you describe it, sounds like water has been getting into the floor from the walls.
Run away, run, run, run.
I can second that from personal and expensive experience........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can second that from personal and expensive experience........
I had a Lunar caravan, more water in the walls than my garden pond.
Didn't cost me much, bought it 3 years old for 3K looked like it had a minor damp problem and thought if might be a bit iffy (normal ones going for 5k at the time). Did all the usual checks appeared to be cosher I was told it was stolen and recovered. About 6 months later suspicions confirmed the guy I bought it off banged up for ringing cars.

9 years down the road I had to replace internal side wall, talk about crap contruction all the roof lockers were screwed in from above a right pain to get out. Taking off the rail on the outside that joins the roof & side together the roof didn't even overlap the side, this is where the water was getting in. After doing all that work discovered the front end joint to the body was getting dodgy by this time we had it 10 years. Had a bit of luck Irish traveller knocked on the door sold it to him for £750.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had a Lunar caravan, more water in the walls than my garden pond.
Didn't cost me much, bought it 3 years old for 3K looked like it had a minor damp problem and thought if might be a bit iffy (normal ones going for 5k at the time). Did all the usual checks appeared to be cosher I was told it was stolen and recovered. About 6 months later suspicions confirmed the guy I bought it off banged up for ringing cars.

9 years down the road I had to replace internal side wall, talk about crap contruction all the roof lockers were screwed in from above a right pain to get out. Taking off the rail on the outside that joins the roof & side together the roof didn't even overlap the side, this is where the water was getting in. After doing all that work discovered the front end joint to the body was getting dodgy by this time we had it 10 years. Had a bit of luck Irish traveller knocked on the door sold it to him for £750.
Mine came apart at the front of the Luton where the side, luton front and the roof all join. Nothing to support it all and it leaked like a sieve. The repairer showed me how badly it was constructed, said he would fix it properly by putting marine fly fillets in and supporting properly (I saw it before they put the bits back together - very neat job) but told me to sell it ASAP as there would certainly be issues elsewhere. Traded it in to Marquis for a nice Autosleeper

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back