Should Van Bitz take deposits from "Funsters?" (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Extract from Cornish Farm rules -

We want everyone to enjoy their stay at Cornish Farm. We do
not want too many rules and regulations but we do want happy,
middle of the road campers enjoying a quiet few days. Extremes
of any behaviour or practice will not be tolerated and you will be
asked to leave.
In short, if you think it is OK that your dogs should be allowed to
run around scaring people, barking and making a mess
everywhere whilst your children run around screaming and
shouting having water fights in the toilets, whilst you sleep of
the 3.00am noisy BBQ you enjoyed the night before with your
mates that came up from another campsite and parked in
everyone else’s spot… PLEASE DO NOT COME BECAUSE YOU
WILL BE SADLY DISAPPOINTED

:ROFLMAO:

My wife and I were almost pi$$ing ourselves reading them.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Continue as you are, IT WORKS, if you start taking deposits all it will do is upset customers and make your life hell with all the added paper work!
We only take a deposit if we have to order a part in which cannot be returned and we ask for the cost of the part in full.
Yes, we do get the odd customer which does not turn up but we know from experience of likely culprits.
Our loyal customers do sometimes forget and a phone call sorts the problem.
However we did give up opening on a Saturday morning for exactly the reason you describe.
:thumb:
Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have been asked this question this morning by some of my staff after a "No show" I remain resolute in a emphatic "NO" not needed.
I'm with you on this.

You are perfectly within your rights to ask for a deposit, but I don't think it sits well with the way you have structured the business & with the type of customer you are trying to attract. You are looking for trust on both sides & in every other aspect of your business you treat the customer as an equal. The customer is trusting you with their frequently expensive but always pride & joy. They expect to be trusted in return.

There will always be the occasional no-show, but while it remains at that level, I think you are better off as you are.

Apart from the overall trust issue, there is the administration to consider. Not just the straightforward taking of the deposit, but sorting out when to retain & when to return. If someone rings at 9am on the day & says "My wife died in the night", you would refund without question. But what happens if it was at 4pm the day before & it was Great Aunt Ethel, who has been at death's door for weeks? Or the dog's ill. Where do you draw the line & at what point do you ask for proof?

The customer who just doesn't turn up with no explanation is probably a customer you didn't want or need. In this particular case, I'm not surprised that the sort of person who could get in a row about the positioning of an awning would also decide not to have any dealings with an associated company. In fact I think your campsite warden could have safely phoned your workshop manager to warn him of a likely no-show in the morning!

It may be no excuse, but I'm not surprised that someone who has just had a furious row with the campsite warden didn't then ring the workshop to say they weren't coming. Someone who is angry enough to leave is going to want to inflict the maximum inconvenience they can on those they deem responsible, even if the link is tenuous. In their eyes, of course, they will have been entirely in the right. :Doh:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've been caught..... It was me.....:Blush:

Sorry, Eddie, but I thought that my Vango 20 man tent (it wasn't a drive away awning) was erected perfectly reasonably across the two pitches and I left because we decided that we didn't really want to load up the van with all the expensive extras after all.............

See you on 5th June:thumb: though we will be late arrivals

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Having had Strikeback & Growler fitted about 3 weeks ago, I can say that both the wardens & Eddie's staff were very polite & professional

I would say it is there loss & now through there own stupidity they have 3 options left to them;Apologise & rebook
Go to a "car alarm" fitter & have a car alarm fitted
Leave there motorhome unprotected.

Perhaps they were only looking for a free nights camping!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

We want everyone to enjoy their stay at Cornish Farm.

We do not want too many rules and regulations but we do want happy, middle of the road campers enjoying a quiet few days.

Extremes of any behaviour or practice will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave.

In short, if you think it is OK that your dogs should be allowed to run around scaring people, barking and making a mess everywhere whilst your children run around screaming and shouting having water fights in the toilets, whilst you sleep off the 3.00am, noisy BBQ you enjoyed the night before with your mates that came up from another campsite and parked in everyone else’s spot… PLEASE DO NOT COME BECAUSE YOU WILL BE SADLY DISAPPOINTED

Modified by a pedant trying to be helpful...

Formatting hey!

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
YES
Most people would be happy to leave a deposit. I suspect your disappearing customers would have paid a deposit if asked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
well there are 3 members mentioned recently that they are booked in for a fitting. one of those is in a couple of weeks, and one specifically mentions having it fitted this week. interesting what you can find if you use the search facility:winky:

me i would name and shame them

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Go on then!! I couldn't search for anything that goes 'BANG' in a minefield. Give us a clue! It's going to come out in the end anyway........:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Go on then!! I couldn't search for anything that goes 'BANG' in a minefield. Give us a clue! It's going to come out in the end anyway........:thumb:
one in this thread
Broken Link Removed

another in this
Broken Link Removed

the third already posted on this current thread

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
one in this thread
Broken Link Removed

another in this
Broken Link Removed

Thanks!! :thumb: Your really a nice person after all! :winky::winky:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am having mine fitted at the end of next month. Would gladly pay a deposit. :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

We want everyone to enjoy their stay at Cornish Farm. We do
not want too many rules and regulations but we do want happy,
middle of the road campers enjoying a quiet few days. Extremes
of any behaviour or practice will not be tolerated and you will be
asked to leave.
In short, if you think it is OK that your dogs should be allowed to
run around scaring people, barking and making a mess
everywhere whilst your children run around screaming and
shouting having water fights in the toilets, whilst you sleep of
the 3.00am noisy BBQ you enjoyed the night before with your
mates that came up from another campsite and parked in
everyone else’s spot… PLEASE DO NOT COME BECAUSE YOU
WILL BE SADLY DISAPPOINTED

Remind you of anyone?

[ame]http://youtu.be/UuM_iSwMof8[/ame]

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its not anyone that has been on or started threads as far as we know.

I think we start asking for Funsters usernames.:winky:

I wouldn't name anyone anyway. I would stoop to their level :winky:

Eddie

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its not anyone that has been on or started threads as far as we know.

I think we start asking for Funsters usernames.:winky:

I wouldn't name anyone anyway. I would stoop to their level :winky:

Eddie

Go on, be a devil.........:roflmto:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Go on, be a devil.........:roflmto:

Yea, and this is what happens see , coming down here to Sunny Somerset thinking you can get away with it.
We are not as green as we are cabbage looking:RollEyes:

Look what happened to the last one :thumb:

Attachments

• mug_shot_smiley_face_fridge_magnets-ra2dda409736b42eea4fdb545dabd382a_x7js9_8byvr_512.jpg
    mug_shot_smiley_face_fridge_magnets-ra2dda409736b42eea4fdb545dabd382a_x7js9_8byvr_512.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 5

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are not as green as we are cabbage looking

Is that right??...:ROFLMAO:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc"]The Wurzels - Combine Harvester (Brand New Key) [totp2] - YouTube[/ame]

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Take deposit and NAME and SHAME:thumb:

autobarnstormer

Free Member
Feb 4, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Total Newbie
Deposit Definitely

Ed, Just to reiterate what others have said, YES I think a 10% deposit is more than fair... after all this only equates to the very kind MHF discount you offer us, so if they are stupid AND rude enough to let you down then I think you should be reimbursed in some way. I know as a recent customer who had a SB Growler alarm & Battery saver fitted, that it is their loss, as there is NOWHERE better for service / product + 10% discount off a grand+.... a fair saving. Cheers Dave in Sunny Sussex.:thumb:.................
Sorry just had brain wave..... its rare but does function some times....... I'm sure we have a few legal beagles amoungst us.... but in my limited knowledge of teh law...... they have entered into an agreement / contract with you, this would be evidenced by teh fact they accepted your quote for the work to be carried out, in that they made the booking for both teh work & the overnight stay (which is part of teh T&C's of having work conducted at VB) Further more they didnt cancel the agreement (verbally or written) so negating any distance selling legislation if applicable. You had specifically set aside your workshop & staffs time in respect of this order, and as such are at a financial loss. They did NOT give you any opportunity to correct ANY mistakes / errors (if there were any on your side....which by the sounds of it there were ZERO). Your booking system will give you teh necessary evidence along with any emails they/you sent. I would go along with an earlier comment.... write a formal / legal letter stating they are in breach of contract / agreement pointing out the error of their ways & ask for a reasonable restitution to be made to avoid further action.... I agree that it shouldn't have to be like that & that your business is run on a very friendly basis, but business is business, you are not a charity (although I appreciate you help many of us out in our hour of need with our beloved MHs) you need to by fair, yes, BUT ALSO FIRM. Send a message from VB & most of us on here at MHF that this behaviour is simply not acceptable!! - In my previous life, I had to deal with idiots like this every minute of every day.... if you give an inch they will take a mile, if they smell weakness they will try it on, again & again. - Sorry to rant but these people should know that they haven't got away with it.....

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ed, Just to reiterate what others have said, YES I think a 10% deposit is more than fair... after all this only equates to the very kind MHF discount you offer us, so if they are stupid AND rude enough to let you down then I think you should be reimbursed in some way. I know as a recent customer who had a SB Growler alarm & Battery saver fitted, that it is their loss, as there is NOWHERE better for service / product + 10% discount off a grand+.... a fair saving. Cheers Dave in Sunny Sussex.:thumb:.................
Sorry just had brain wave..... its rare but does function some times....... I'm sure we have a few legal beagles amoungst us.... but in my limited knowledge of teh law...... they have entered into an agreement / contract with you, this would be evidenced by teh fact they accepted your quote for the work to be carried out, in that they made the booking for both teh work & the overnight stay (which is part of teh T&C's of having work conducted at VB) Further more they didnt cancel the agreement (verbally or written) so negating any distance selling legislation if applicable. You had specifically set aside your workshop & staffs time in respect of this order, and as such are at a financial loss. They did NOT give you any opportunity to correct ANY mistakes / errors (if there were any on your side....which by the sounds of it there were ZERO). Your booking system will give you teh necessary evidence along with any emails they/you sent. I would go along with an earlier comment.... write a formal / legal letter stating they are in breach of contract / agreement pointing out the error of their ways & ask for a reasonable restitution to be made to avoid further action.... I agree that it shouldn't have to be like that & that your business is run on a very friendly basis, but business is business, you are not a charity (although I appreciate you help many of us out in our hour of need with our beloved MHs) you need to by fair, yes, BUT ALSO FIRM. Send a message from VB & most of us on here at MHF that this behaviour is simply not acceptable!! - In my previous life, I had to deal with idiots like this every minute of every day.... if you give an inch they will take a mile, if they smell weakness they will try it on, again & again. - Sorry to rant but these people should know that they haven't got away with it.....

You are probably right but knowing Eddie a little bit I doubt he could be arsed with the aggro of it.

Just a lesson learnt with a certain person I guess.

Come to think of it, if I had driven off in a strop I could have saved a few grand::bigsmile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont think it's fair to not turn up.

But I for one will never give a deposit and never will to anyone.

Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dont think it's fair to not turn up.

[HI]But I for one will never give a deposit and never will to anyone.
[/HI]
Mel

Not even if you are buying a house?

There is always the motorhome I guess:winky:

I don't see the problem with a deposit of 10%. if you aren't happy with the work the value of goods fitted to the van will exceed that.

Each to their own I know, but a trader is entitled to some protection surely?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Not even if you are buying a house?

There is always the motorhome I guess:winky:

I don't see the problem with a deposit of 10%. if you aren't happy with the work the value of goods fitted to the van will exceed that.

Each to their own I know, but a trader is entitled to some protection surely?

No not even a house.
But if I said I will be there to have parts fitted I would be there.

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
one in this thread
Broken Link Removed

another in this
Broken Link Removed

Mine is the first post and we're not booked in until the 14th of June, just incase anybody starts casting nasturtiums!! ::bigsmile:

We would never dream of in a million years of not turning up for anything without telling anybody, bad manners of the highest degree

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I believe it`s a (old school ) principle here.

Customers have asked me if they can leave a certain amount to cover items but i always say no, that`s ok.

I always think that , if they are happy with what`s being done then that is fine.

I don`t leave a deposit with Asda before i go shopping. i pay as i leave.

Maybe it`s just the way the world is getting now, but i bet it won`t bother Ed to change the way of a lifetime-- and the customers that go to him will appreciate him sticking to some old principles.

I may get the odd one mess me about but i won`t be a Hitler on everyone else, i would feel pressurizing them to pay up before anything has been done is not the way.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I believe it`s a (old school ) principle here.

Customers have asked me if they can leave a certain amount to cover items but i always say no, that`s ok.

I always think that , if they are happy with what`s being done then that is fine.

I don`t leave a deposit with Asda before i go shopping. i pay as i leave.

Maybe it`s just the way the world is getting now, but i bet it won`t bother Ed to change the way of a lifetime-- and the customers that go to him will appreciate him sticking to some old principles.

I may get the odd one mess me about but i won`t be a Hitler on everyone else, i would feel pressurizing them to pay up before anything has been done is not the way.

I do ask for up front money most of the time.

There are so many shits round here that it sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back