Should really plan a little advice please (1 Viewer)

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Tunnel booked 11.30pm Friday night that's as far as my plans have got. I have maps sat nav Aires books so all good there and I should have 3 weeks time available. I am thinking turn left go down left side. I wouldn't mind visiting Oradour-sur-Glen and the Millau bridge and maybe the campsite a lot of funsters visit on the way to Spain or Portugal.

So what I would like advice on is my first stop maybe 90 mins from Calais bit longer or shorter. An aire or overnight spot I can park up easily being middle of night in 8mtr van. Then I'm easy any other advise be great but not essential. Would you sway me to Spain or Portugal ? And anything I must avoid ?

So any advice help ideas be great just wish us luck THANKS ......Paul

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There were many people on here a month or two ago singing the praises of a new aire in coucy - le - chateau auffrique South of St Quentin , anyway we went to it but it was our second night , maybe a bit out of your timescale but it really is fantastic place , all amenities with a castle backdrop, all new and spotless, think it was 5 euros including Lecy and water.
Three weeks is cutting it fine for Spain never mind portugal unless you want to a lot of traveling , oradour and Millau a must , probably a visit to parc verger but if you are going down the east side I'd stick to the Alps and maybe even a trip into italy , monaco and along the south coast then head back to Limoges.
Only my opinion , make of it what you like.(y):)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
With only three weeks I wouldn't head for Spain or Portugal unless either
A. The weather in France is really shite or
B. You like driving long distances rather than taking your time to enjoy yourself.

There is plenty to do and see in Normandy without spending all your time driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If you want to see the Millau Bridge (and it definintely worth seeing!) Don't do so by driving across it - it's just another stretch of motorway. It's only from below that you appreciate the wonder of it! I still can't imagine how they managed it, they certainly wouldn't have been able to haul everything into place by crane! So be sure to leave and approach from below - just crossing the bridge is disappointing!

Wyn

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you want to see the Millau Bridge (and it definintely worth seeing!) Don't do so by driving across it - it's just another stretch of motorway. It's only from below that you appreciate the wonder of it! I still can't imagine how they managed it, they certainly wouldn't have been able to haul everything into place by crane! So be sure to leave and approach from below - just crossing the bridge is disappointing!

Wyn
Yes I'll second that. Heading south on a sunny day you get the odd glimpse of it from many kms away but nothing to get too excited about. If you do go across it don't do it early a.m. as it will more than likely be mist/cloud below & you see nothing.
If you've never seen how it was constructed it was shown on C5 & is here;

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
To be honest - the best plan is no plan.
See what takes your fancy and drive as long or short a time as you feel like!
You may miss some great undiscovered stuff of you plan too much - and just do what everyone else has already done!
Adopt the Columbus spirit and enjoy!!!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Dave has it spot on.

First year we went over, the plan was to come off the boat and turn right.
Spent a week or so mooching through rural France, ended up on the Med near to Sete, then a week mooching back by another route.
The following year's plan was to come off the boat and go straight on.
Ended up on Lake Garda, came home through Austria, Germany, Lux and France.

Don't plan, just go.

Lorger told me before we went the first time that the continent, France in particular, was a doddle.
He was so right.(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Paul, You could try Berques aire

Bergues 59380
16 Review / Rating: 7.8
Broken Link Removed
Stadium Parking St Andries
Broken Link Removed
zijweg Rue Maurice Cornette
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Mix-parking
Broken Link Removed
N 50.96581 E 2.43586 C
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Unlimited
Broken Link Removed
48-hours
Broken Link Removed
01 / 01-31 / 12
Broken Link Removed
+33 3 28 68 60 44
Broken Link Removed
shows the next-soccer fields, very quiet the ramparts [South] -no shade-shops near center 250 m
Broken Link Removed
motorhome 0 - 2014 *
Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

Also must visit if you get down that far is Carcassone

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed 2 nights in the aire at Montville - nice little town north of Rouen, 133 miles from Calais!

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
There were many people on here a month or two ago singing the praises of a new aire in coucy - le - chateau auffrique South of St Quentin , anyway we went to it but it was our second night , maybe a bit out of your timescale but it really is fantastic place , all amenities with a castle backdrop, all new and spotless, think it was 5 euros including Lecy and water.
Three weeks is cutting it fine for Spain never mind portugal unless you want to a lot of traveling , oradour and Millau a must , probably a visit to parc verger but if you are going down the east side I'd stick to the Alps and maybe even a trip into italy , monaco and along the south coast then head back to Limoges.
Only my opinion , make of it what you like.(y):)

Do you have co ords for this aire

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Coucy le Chateau Auffrique 02380
9 Reviews / Rating: 8.3
Broken Link Removed
Aire de Camping-Car
Broken Link Removed
Avenue Altenkessel
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Camper City
Broken Link Removed
N 49.52000 E 3.31396 C
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Unknown
Broken Link Removed
Unlimited
Broken Link Removed
01/01-31/12
Broken Link Removed
+33 3 23 52 69 70
Broken Link Removed
betalen met bankkaart - centrum 300m
Broken Link Removed
motorhome 5,- lozen 0,- water 0,- electricity 0,- *2014
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

Check it out on Google Earth with the little yellow man

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have left tunnel early on a Monday morning and been swimming in the pool in Benidorm by wednesday lunchtime..pointless hanging around in winter

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Embry aire is about a hour from Calais going west. Peaceful, rural, country aire. Good loo's/showers (need a token for shower).

Then southwards either to stay at Oradour's own aire or Parv Verger with Bob and Di.

Its not far between to two and PV usually always has the odd Funster staying or passing through here.

By the time you are around Parc Verger the weather should be getting a bit warmer. Twin lakes not to far away and maybe a bit warmer still..

All of these have been praised at one time or another on the forum.

We have used both Parc Verger and Embry and would recommend both. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think I may have got your original post wrong , you did say you were turning left out of the tunnel and I thought you ment you were going down the eastern side of france but from other posts it seems you ment the western side , which if that is the case my previous posts might be wrong and you should be turning right, if that is right then spain and Portugal are well reachable

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Wyn

They welded sections together and pushed it out on rollers, yes I kid you not.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Oops what a pillock my apologies I want to turn right and go down the west side. I really want a 1st stop reccomendation accounting for vans size at just over 8mtr. And the fact its going to be early am don't want to rock up and upset someone. Cheers for all input thus far Paul

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Embry aire is about a hour from Calais going west. Peaceful, rural, country aire. Good loo's/showers (need a token for shower).

Then southwards either to stay at Oradour's own aire or Parv Verger with Bob and Di.

Its not far between to two and PV usually always has the odd Funster staying or passing through here.

By the time you are around Parc Verger the weather should be getting a bit warmer. Twin lakes not to far away and maybe a bit warmer still..

All of these have been praised at one time or another on the forum.

We have used both Parc Verger and Embry and would recommend both. (y)

Have directions or co ords for Embry or maybe its aire book number please

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Aire: EMBRY (4*)
ADDRESS: CAMPING DE L'EMBRYENNE, OFF D108

TEL: 03 21 86 77 61 FAX: 03 21 86 25 24

EMAIL: lessalonsdelembryenne@wanadoo.fr

TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC / TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES:

PARKING: 5€/ NIGHT SERVICES: 2€ / 4 HOURS ELECTRIC

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N50.49453 E01.96652

DIRECTIONS: Exit A26 @ Jcn 4 & take D157 / D126 WEST & then D108 to EMBRY. At bend before entering village turn RIGHT to AIRE (signposted).

SITE DESCRIPTION: This well run Private Aire is owned by the local Hotel / Restaurant "Les Salons de L'Embryenne"and is run more on the lines of a small campsite. Located in a field on the outskirts of the village; the 5 pitches are on grass & facilities include WC's/Showers/Barbeque/Picnic Tables & Electric Hook-ups. CCTV security is also in operation. Separate Flot-Bleu service points for water/ drainage & electric as well as a machine for Jetons.

REVIEW

1) I have no hesitation in recommending this Aire -- nice quality in a pleasant location. Modern toilets & showers, very quiet. Nice small village with good restaurant (albeit a bit pricey).

2) "A private aire in a verdant spot with parking on gravel for 6 camping-cars plus a barbecue, picnic tables, toilets, showers & laundry." RECOMMENDED CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE

Broken Link Removed
EMBRY

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981

Wyn

And expensive.

Hymie.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oops what a pillock my apologies I want to turn right and go down the west side. I really want a 1st stop reccomendation accounting for vans size at just over 8mtr. And the fact its going to be early am don't want to rock up and upset someone. Cheers for all input thus far Paul
No worries , but if you are going south down the western side , you can't help but fall over aires, they are everywhere down that side , apart from the normal aires , boulogne is well reachable in 90 mins and there is an excelent aire there overlooking the sea at the side of the coast road , before you get there. Bar across the road , chip van as well

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
WISSANT N50 53.210 E001 40.224 is only 20minutes down the road not much there as its a car park but will be able to park 8m rig we usually use it as its easy to get to.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I'm surving 2 nights at Me Crotoy now at Me Mont St Michael heading south next I think

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Isn't that how they did the QE2 bridge?

Hymie.

I'm not sure, I watched a program about it, the angles of the uprights change, it's downhill,It has a curve in it. Hell of a job, great program.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Wyn
We did both!...... Awesome! (y)(y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
[you]Aire: EMBRY (4*)[/you]
ADDRESS: CAMPING DE L'EMBRYENNE, OFF D108

TEL: 03 21 86 77 61 FAX: 03 21 86 25 24

EMAIL: lessalonsdelembryenne@wanadoo.fr

TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC / TOILETS

[you]PRICES/ RATES[/you]:

PARKING: 5€/ NIGHT SERVICES: 2€ / 4 HOURS ELECTRIC

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N50.49453 E01.96652

DIRECTIONS: Exit A26 @ Jcn 4 & take D157 / D126 WEST & then D108 to EMBRY. At bend before entering village turn RIGHT to AIRE (signposted).

SITE DESCRIPTION: This well run Private Aire is owned by the local Hotel / Restaurant "Les Salons de L'Embryenne"and is run more on the lines of a small campsite. Located in a field on the outskirts of the village; the 5 pitches are on grass & facilities include WC's/Showers/Barbeque/Picnic Tables & Electric Hook-ups. CCTV security is also in operation. Separate Flot-Bleu service points for water/ drainage & electric as well as a machine for Jetons.

REVIEW

1) I have no hesitation in recommending this Aire -- nice quality in a pleasant location. Modern toilets & showers, very quiet. Nice small village with good restaurant (albeit a bit pricey).

2) "A private aire in a verdant spot with parking on gravel for 6 camping-cars plus a barbecue, picnic tables, toilets, showers & laundry." RECOMMENDED CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE

Broken Link Removed
EMBRY
Fidget, I have noticed these helpful posts on Aires that you have done before.... forgive me for asking this but are the original authors OK with you doing this?

(just curios, not criticising)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back