Should my OH take her C1 test? (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Unfortunately my OH passed her test 6 months after the DVLA changed their rules on C1 and removed it from the licence as standard.. The question is at a cost of £1k to take the test it is really worth it. However is cost irrelevant?
Got me thinking if we were abroad and I suddenly came down I'll and could not drive or broke a leg etc. How would we get back. Okay insurance would sort it eventually but the hassle... depending where you are in the UK could be same issue also. I doubt we would go down to a 3500 any time soon.
Anyone else in the same situation and what's your thoughts?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're a similar situation. 'er indoors has no C1 but she's T1 diabetic amongst other things so getting it wouldn't be simple if it's even possible.

We've spoken about it and she has absolutely no interest in driving it to the point of actively not wanting to so that's basically that.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Swmbo doesn't want to drive our Moho (thankfully) but she has got C1 on her licence but we're sub 3.5 tonnes anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
does your breakdown cover arrange for the vehicle to be transported home if you are ill and cant drive

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
does your breakdown cover arrange for the vehicle to be transported home if you are ill and cant drive
Yes it does we are covered in any event with kids with us becomes complicated as only get certain limits and prob blow it with 4 if us. I really need to checl the limits further but i know most insurance and breakdown policies have limits for repatriation of vehicles and alternative transport/accommodation. Was an interesting conundrum should we shouldn't we.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
For what it’s worth, I think it would be a good idea .

We both share the driving and it’s a great system whereby we drive two hours on/two hours off and nobody arrives tired.

Also means I get to see some of the scenery as opposed to catching glimpses from the drivers seat.

If you are thinking “emergency driving” only, it would probably be a good idea if your OH does a good stint of normal driving too to familiarise herself with the MH. Otherwise the first time she’ll be driving (stressful) is when something has happened to you (stressful) and the combination of the two could make things very difficult for her.

Jus my view of course, but I do like the fact we share the driving (sometimes even fight to get to the drivers seat first!)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ive just taken Mrs Badknee off our insurance because she won't drive our new Moho (5250kg tag) but if she was on the insurance as normal she would be forced to if anything happened to me.
Now we will be possibly airlifted home if it was serious enough and the Moho recovered by a third party paid for by the insurance.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes it does we are covered in any event with kids with us becomes complicated as only get certain limits and prob blow it with 4 if us. I really need to checl the limits further but i know most insurance and breakdown policies have limits for repatriation of vehicles and alternative transport/accommodation. Was an interesting conundrum should we shouldn't we.
I think you will find in a breakdown incident driver and all passengers (up to about 6) will be recovered if vehicle isn't repairable at the roadside.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I guess the answer is dependant on whether she wants to drive the vehicle. We share the driving and I don't understand why so few women seem to drive their motorhomes. If she does take the test then its advisable that she drives the vehicle regularly and not solely if there's an emergency.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Mrs ZP has C1 but has no interest driving the MH, in fact over the years her position has hardened to never wanting to drive it, so this year she came off the insurance so if we have an issue she won't have to drive it and it will be shipped home by recovery insurance.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
For what it’s worth, I think it would be a good idea .

We both share the driving and it’s a great system whereby we drive two hours on/two hours off and nobody arrives tired.

Also means I get to see some of the scenery as opposed to catching glimpses from the drivers seat.

If you are thinking “emergency driving” only, it would probably be a good idea if your OH does a good stint of normal driving too to familiarise herself with the MH. Otherwise the first time she’ll be driving (stressful) is when something has happened to you (stressful) and the combination of the two could make things very difficult for her.

Jus my view of course, but I do like the fact we share the driving (sometimes even fight to get to the drivers seat first!)
Your description mirrors our preference. We share the driving, with no more than 2 hours each - maximum - (usually 1 - 1.5 hrs) behind the wheel. Nice and relaxed, and both have an opportunity to enjoy the scenery.

mrs mikebeaches is happiest behind the wheel on trunk roads and motorways, but would tackle anything if necessary. I usually do the 'fiddly' stuff (ie city driving, narrow lanes, manoeuvring round tricky campsites and up the ramps etc).

But, it is reassuring to know either of us can handle the MH in an emergency, or even if one of us is just under the weather. Takes away any concern when far from home.

Works perfectly for us. We both have C1, but don't need it as van is 3,500kg.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Over 3500kg a lot of the breakdown insurances put you in the commercial category which means no hotel or car hire costs.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We're a similar situation. 'er indoors has no C1 but she's T1 diabetic amongst other things so getting it wouldn't be simple if it's even possible.

We've spoken about it and she has absolutely no interest in driving it to the point of actively not wanting to so that's basically that.

Mrs bigtree is type 1 and has just got it back after 1 month, it is a faff as she has to apply every year and there are some real halfwits at DVLA who make it frustrating for her.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Ive just taken Mrs Badknee off our insurance because she won't drive our new Moho (5250kg tag) but if she was on the insurance as normal she would be forced to if anything happened to me.
Now we will be possibly airlifted home if it was serious enough and the Moho recovered by a third party paid for by the insurance.
We did exactly the same.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
My OH is not able to drive the RV , but even if she got the licence (hers only goes to 7.5) she has said no way would she want to drive it , even tho she drives competently even with 6 ton van and that is I think the crux of the matter , would your partner be comfortable , and enjoy it or just do it as a duty . and further more how relaxed will you be sat in the observer seat ? Luckily I find it no hardship (the opposite in fact) even driving for extended periods, so we both end up happy with the situation

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I say a definite YES,, should should take it. We always share the driving and there has been many times when one or other of us couldn’t drive or didn’t want to drive. It also allows each of us to go out independently.
Although we are both experienced drivers, we went on a Motorhome manoeuvring course and picked up some tips as well as the confidence from being independently assessed on a 30 minute drive. If your wife at all nervous I would recommend one.
She must be about the same age as my daughter who also just missed it, so about 37 and young enough to have many years ahead of driving.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I think if possible you should both be in a position to drive if needed. I do all the driving, both MH and car. Himself drives if he goes off on his own. I have driven for a living all my working life and I am the foulest back seat driver imaginable. Trouble is my navigator sleeps through many a journey.
I think that a lot of ladies do not drive because they cannot reach the controls comfortably. I have a piece of Kingspan underneath the carpet so that my size threes can rest on the floor when necessary. No matter how much adjustment there is in modern seats they have not been designed for 5ft nothing drivers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Over 3500kg a lot of the breakdown insurances put you in the commercial category which means no hotel or car hire costs.
That's just what I was going to say, once you go over 3500kg you 'lose' a lot of the breakdown benefits.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think if possible you should both be in a position to drive if needed. I do all the driving, both MH and car. Himself drives if he goes off on his own. I have driven for a living all my working life and I am the foulest back seat driver imaginable. Trouble is my navigator sleeps through many a journey.
I think that a lot of ladies do not drive because they cannot reach the controls comfortably. I have a piece of Kingspan underneath the carpet so that my size threes can rest on the floor when necessary. No matter how much adjustment there is in modern seats they have not been designed for 5ft nothing drivers.

Yes, the size problem! I too take size 3 shoes but I'm a bit taller than you at 5'3". I do have to stretch a bit. I recently test drove a 7.5 tonne LHD vehicle which had a manual transmission. To try to hold the clutch down and reach across to the gearstick was tricky as the steering wheel was the flat angled sort that you get on a lorry. Thankfully the vehicle we bought in the end is automatic - no problems with that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately my OH passed her test 6 months after the DVLA changed their rules on C1 and removed it from the licence as standard.. The question is at a cost of £1k to take the test it is really worth it. However is cost irrelevant?
Got me thinking if we were abroad and I suddenly came down I'll and could not drive or broke a leg etc. How would we get back. Okay insurance would sort it eventually but the hassle... depending where you are in the UK could be same issue also. I doubt we would go down to a 3500 any time soon.
Anyone else in the same situation and what's your thoughts?
I had to drive previously in an emergency when hubby was unable to. We were down near Millau and got severe sunburn (he had 2nd degree burns to his legs/ankles/feet which swelled up like Shrek's and blistered, he was in agony ... I had some too but fortunately not as bad so ended up driving our 7.14m Rimor (which I'd not driven before) back home over the next week, fortunately I have the C1 on my licence so not an issue. I would obviously have been happier if I'd driven it previously (we'd not had it that long) but I soon got the hang of it, at the time it was still registered at 3500kg so our recovery would have brought us back home if I hadn't been able to drive but we just decided to do it ourselves.

Its difficult to advise whether your wife should do it or not, but my feeling is that if she is willing and confident to have a go and able to do it if the need arises then it would be worth it and she could help with the driving generally (to keep the 'confidence' level up), but if it was ONLY ever intended for an emergency situation then I wouldn't bother as it could cause her stress just when she doesn't need it.

Best bet would be to find a large empty car park somewhere and take her to have a drive round and see how she gets on with it ... that will probably give you an idea of whether it's worth her doing it or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just had a very quick shuftie at the rules for teaching someone to drive - as you have your C1 you can teach your wife to drive it so long as she's on the insurance policy so that would give you the option of taking her on a quiet road too for a more realistic 'test' of her confidence etc. As she has a driving licence already this appears to cover the 'provisional' licence requirement for the larger vehicle but may be worth checking this out.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
It can effect any recovery if your taken ill or injured and your OH holds a licence then they are expected to drive the vehicle so unless they are completely comfortable about driving the unit home .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My wife is the same, simply will not drive it. She insisted I take her off the insurance so they would have to sort out the repatriation if I had problems anywhere rather than insist that she drove me home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think you will find in a breakdown incident driver and all passengers (up to about 6) will be recovered if vehicle isn't repairable at the roadside.

All well & good if on a Mway here as you might find they have double cab trucks. Most recoverys are single so 2 people at most. :(
I have actually seen a C class being recovered from Águilas to the local Peugeot garage here in Lorca with a single cab truck & 2 of the MH occupants sitting in drivers& passengers seats in MH on back of truck:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It can effect any recovery if your taken ill or injured and your OH holds a licence then they are expected to drive the vehicle so unless they are completely comfortable about driving the unit home .
They can't make her do it though if she's not insured.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
All well & good if on a Mway here as you might find they have double cab trucks. Most recoverys are single so 2 people at most. :(
I have actually seen a C class being recovered from Águilas to the local Peugeot garage here in Lorca with a single cab truck & 2 of the MH occupants sitting in drivers& passengers seats in MH on back of truck:LOL:

Same with Pets are expected to travel in the vehicle on the back or some companies quote you need to find your own transport .

Lots of small print on recovery .

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
They can't make her do it though if she's not insured.

Then it would not be much point in doing a test ?

My OH is fine driving large units on main roads but worries on narrow country roads . Years ago I took it as long as you had a doctor's certificate and could not drive you could be recovered till I read that if anyone in the party was covered to drive they are expected to drive the unit .
Bit pointless having driver cover .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back