Should my OH take her C1 test? (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
AFAIK, most LGV instructors don't take any other test except their Class 1, CE, they may go on courses as assessors but once gained a that, they can teach..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would say yes and then to practice.

I like driving ours although normally it is Martin who drives. When the children were young we tried a number of different vehicles and the one that suited us best was a minibus that was my day to day vehicle - the motorhome is longer but about the same width. I find that width is more of an issue than length except when going round corners :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes, the size problem! I too take size 3 shoes but I'm a bit taller than you at 5'3". I do have to stretch a bit. I recently test drove a 7.5 tonne LHD vehicle which had a manual transmission. To try to hold the clutch down and reach across to the gearstick was tricky as the steering wheel was the flat angled sort that you get on a lorry. Thankfully the vehicle we bought in the end is automatic - no problems with that.
I always knew that there had to be some advantages of long legs and size 9s.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I think if possible you should both be in a position to drive if needed. I do all the driving, both MH and car. Himself drives if he goes off on his own. I have driven for a living all my working life and I am the foulest back seat driver imaginable. Trouble is my navigator sleeps through many a journey.
I think that a lot of ladies do not drive because they cannot reach the controls comfortably. I have a piece of Kingspan underneath the carpet so that my size threes can rest on the floor when necessary. No matter how much adjustment there is in modern seats they have not been designed for 5ft nothing drivers.
At 5' and that all important half inch I find it so easy to adjust the motorhome seat in the van, no need of Kingspan, but am a size 4. Do most of the driving, although John does drive a bit more now as he prefers this van. He however has to ride the motorbike as I don't have a bike licence, so fair is fair. I use the van on my own more often than he does. 7.3M 4 tonner.
However it must be your wifes choice, if she really wants to drive it, and wont have someone in the passenger seat telling her what to do, then give her the encouragement she needs. Agree too that she should drive it regularly, not just in case of emergency.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The nearest we have got to Basia drivng the MH is a quick trip round the empty S/market CP and she said she was surprised how easy it was, so she might be fine on a M/way but nervous on narrow roads but would just stop and let the other driver sort it out.

So in an emergency I think we would just wing-it and if stopped point to the original weight plate under the bonnet, for which she is licensed. How many Police are going to prosecute in an emergency situation? A Fine maybe.

Probably we should find an off-road area for her to get a bit more practice.

The real worry is if I lose my C1 for medical reasons - just waiting for renewal now, but do not antcipate problems, just post being a bit slow.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Yes, the size problem! I too take size 3 shoes but I'm a bit taller than you at 5'3". I do have to stretch a bit. I recently test drove a 7.5 tonne LHD vehicle which had a manual transmission. To try to hold the clutch down and reach across to the gearstick was tricky as the steering wheel was the flat angled sort that you get on a lorry. Thankfully the vehicle we bought in the end is automatic - no problems with that.

Nothing to do with the original post but... I took my class one hgv test in high heels and took a large cushion with me. I passed in an lorry with no power steering. The high heels meant I could get my heels onto the floor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back