Should I replace my house gas boiler…… (1 Viewer)

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for this thread Andy. It's really helpful for me as I've just had a repair done. British Gas say I should think about a new one as it's on the "red list" for parts becoming unavailable. They've quoted me £3.5k. 😱
Just checked that boxt link and I can knock 1k off that price!
Wendy, even £2.5k is well over the top for combi boiler and fitting. Last year we had a Baxi 836 combi boiler fitted and it cost just
over £1450 fitted including magnetec filter, remote thermostat and flue.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We have to re-take our examination every 5 years, we have to demonstrate that we are up to date with changes in regulations. I have always kept up by reading technical bulletins on the Gas Safe web site, these are only available to registered engineers. The last time I went back to work I spent some time checking the site before I went back. Sometimes manufacturers have a recall which would be notified through Gas Safe, this could be because a component has been found to fail over time and should be replaced on the next service etc. Once my qualifications expire I would not be able to demonstrate I have the knowledge to be safe.
which all comes down to you havent paid gas safe even if you still hold you qualifications your not competent unless you pay gas safe your subs. Dont you think safety recalls should be available to everyone?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wendy, even £2.5k is well over the top for combi boiler and fitting. Last year we had a Baxi 836 combi boiler fitted and it cost just
over £1450 fitted including magnetec filter, remote thermostat and flue.
Must have cheap plumbers up your way min down here £2.5k more normal £3 -£3.5k that's why I do it myself.
Must have been a cheap boiler I paid over £1100 ten years ago just for the boiler and that was after shopping around for the best price, a WB would have been nearer £1400.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Must have cheap plumbers up your way min down here £2.5k more normal £3 -£3.5k that's why I do it myself.
Must have been a cheap boiler I paid over £1100 ten years ago just for the boiler and that was after shopping around for the best price, a WB would have been nearer £1400.
Baxi 836 was £1100 trade from Wolseley plumbers supplies, including all the bits, fitted by a local plumber in 6hrs. £350 including
consumables.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Is there much in a gas boiler to go wrong?
What is done (or should be done) when servicing a gas boiler?
The last chap to service mine appeared to do no cleaning and spent most of his time trying to persuade me to buy a CO monitor.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Incredibly cheap, SIL had a quote recently from a plumber he knows, mates rates £2.5k.
I had my Baxi fitted about five years ago. Just under £1000. That’s supplied and fitted. It was mates rates but he still has to earn a living.
It does sound like it’s a lot more expensive down South.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We are thinking of changing the boiler having just moved into a flat with a non condensing one. We are on a metered lpg supply from Calor so the gas is not going to be cheap. The windows are single glazed leaded lights and being a listed building, in a conservation area within a national park the chances of improving them are zilch. It probably makes sense to save on gas by buying a condensing boiler now, rather than waiting a year or two. The new boiler will probably outlive me either way and the existing one probably won’t.

p.s. Lenny HB it is warm in West Sussex because I am heating it for you.😀

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Is there much in a gas boiler to go wrong?
What is done (or should be done) when servicing a gas boiler?
The last chap to service mine appeared to do no cleaning and spent most of his time trying to persuade me to buy a CO monitor.
British Gas ???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
IC engines will be phased out in 9 years but there will still be IC engined cars running in 29 years.
Just because gas boilers will be phased out doesn't mean your gas will will be cut off at the same time

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
IC engines will be phased out in 9 years but there will still be IC engined cars running in 29 years.
Just because gas boilers will be phased out doesn't mean your gas will will be cut off at the same time
Correct.

But im willing to bet the cost of fuel for those cars and household gas will have rocketed.

Thats how they force people to change by making it so expensive to keep

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
…..with a more efficient model? At present we have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831 combi boiler that was installed in July 2011, and seems to be working ok (kiss of death!! o_O ), but, with the proposed phasing-out of new gas boilers from 2025, is it worth replacing ours now before:-
1. we can only replace it with an electric boiler or heat-pump
2. the price of gas boilers starts to increase as they become more scarce
3. parts for our current boiler are no longer available
4. another reason I haven’t thought of yet! ;)

I know there are several knowledgeable boiler engineers on Fun, so I would be grateful for any comments/advice!
Thanks in advance,
Andy.
I have the same boiler, it was installed in 2008. When it was serviced last week I asked whether it may be time to replace it, the engineer said it’s working fine and in good condition and a a new one would not be any more efficient, it ain’t broke so don’t fix it. So the answer is, if yours is running ok with no issues leave it be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back