Should I get this Fiat Ducato 2.8TD 1999 - fifth gear too far over? (1 Viewer)

Carmella

Free Member
May 14, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
About to purchase
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone, a newbie here looking forward to being part of this fab community! I'm looking for some advice please. I'm searching for my first motorhome and tried one today that ticked all the boxes except the gears didn't seem quite right (and it needs its timing belt replaced). Anything that's wrong with it I can use to negotiate a better deal but I need to know if these issues may be something serious and very costly before getting back to the owner.

The main issue; Fifth gear was waaay over to the right, so much so that your hand touched the indicator stick. Seller didn't have anything to say about this, just said it's something you have to get used to. Anyone else had this? Can it be fixed and for how much? It's really putting me off what otherwise seems a perfect vehicle!

The gears crunched sometimes when I changed them, and seemed a bit 'sticky'. The seller said that I needed to let it rev longer before changing. When he drove it, they didn't crunch.

Any feedback most welcome, would you buy this? : )

OP
OP
C

Carmella

Free Member
May 14, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
About to purchase
Exp
I'm a newbie
Forgot to say its due its MOT next week, seller is putting it through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, the 5th gear, being an add on, has a great many variants. Most need warming up usually by driving about 5 to 10 miles in 4th to get the oil circulated. Hope you get yours sorted to your satisfaction. :)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
In my previous van (1999 Peugeot Boxer so same van more or less) I had a bit of stickychange now and again - after getting used to the gear change and having the gear box oil changed it was fine...The crunchy change could just be because your not used to it - I had to press my clutch right down otherwise it would sometimes crunch but once I got used to it, it was fine

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Does the gear change and crunching bother you? Is it going to be something that will annoy you as you drive it? If so, then you might be better off looking at a different van. Driving a motorhome is part of the fun on holiday, if it becomes a chore with a difficult gear change, you aren't going to enjoy it.
Plenty more vans out there with smooth gear changes.....

Reactions: Mel
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I never had this problem with same gear change,however I did lubricate the knuckle regularly to keep it moving easily,I also believe the linkage can be adjusted, but not 100% sure.
If you don't feel comfortable with it walk away,your decision is long lasting.
Good luck.
Oh sorry forgot, a big :welcome3:

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi & welcome to Motorhome'fun', the friendliest & most informative forum

"That would annoy me and even if I loved the van, would think twice about getting it. If fault can be rectified then that may make it worthwhile.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi and welcome to Fun :)
You do not say what year or model the Ducato in question is ?

Oddly enough, since my leaky gearbox issues I can say that the occasional crunch is directly related to a lack of oil in the box !

Every time someone has tried to fix the issue, the first 300 miles or so are really sweet.. Then, as the oil gets chucked out it gets progressively worse

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
5th gear simply needs the operating cables adjusting properly.
Cam belt is a relatively easy job if you can handle spanners and follow instructions.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi Carmella and welcome, you have received some fantastic tips from our friends above. It is a known worry as it was a four speed box with a fifth gear added later and has problems as Jaws has found out to his cost. The other great bit of advice is leave that one and move on, there's are literally thousands of Moho's out there.
Good luck with the hunt. (y)

OP
OP
C

Carmella

Free Member
May 14, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
About to purchase
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone. Still considering this, but getting some money off the price so as the gear issues can be sorted. I also have my eye on a 2000 Mercedes Sprinter 412d, off to see that today, probably that is the safer bet, from everything that I've read (though it does have higher mileage).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back