Should I get a drive away awning for the motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi,

We normally go to Provence twice a year ( spring and autumn ) for four/five weeks where we stay, mainly outside, on one site and cycle all around the area.

However due to some ill health on my part we feel it would put too much pressure on Yvonne if I fell ill abroad, therefore we have decided to stay in England this year.

We plan to stay on a number of campsites for a week at a time and cycle around the area ( somewhat less mileage than before)

Now we all know the weather here is variable at the best, so is it worth buying a drive away awning so we can be protected from the worst of the weather without having to be stuck in the van all the time.

If it is worth buying the drive away awning which would you recommend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bob

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have two awnings - a drive away and a "day" awning. Both are Sunncamp brand and we have used them both a lot - especially when with our Grandson as he likes to play inside the awning - more space than in the van.

The day awning is only two or three poles and a one person job to put up (although easier with two people). The drive away is more complex (but not that much) and could be done by one determined individual but really a two person job. Only one have we actually "driven away" and left it on site!!! We do leave things of lowish value in the awning overnight (picnic table etc) and during the day when we are around we'll have bikes and kayaks in there (plus wet weather gear drying off).

The drive away awning has an optional sleeping tent which we use when extended family come to visit us overnight if we are nearby...... just gives a little more space and privacy inside the van.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi,

We normally go to Provence twice a year ( spring and autumn ) for four/five weeks where we stay, mainly outside, on one site and cycle all around the area.

However due to some ill health on my part we feel it would put too much pressure on Yvonne if I fell ill abroad, therefore we have decided to stay in England this year.

We plan to stay on a number of campsites for a week at a time and cycle around the area ( somewhat less mileage than before)

Now we all know the weather here is variable at the best, so is it worth buying a drive away awning so we can be protected from the worst of the weather without having to be stuck in the van all the time.

Cheers

Bob
I will have one of these up for sale shortly - Vango hex
shopping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We started with a driveway but found getting back to exactly the same spot to reattach was a huge issue. If it was more than a couple of inches out either way, it either sagged over the habitation door, or did not quite reach the van. Ended up using it stand-alone, then fitted a roll-out.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was on a THS a few weeks back and a chap arrived and set to putting up his awning. Pump, pump, pump, squeak, squeak, squeak, bang. One of the inflatable bladders burst. He proceeded to fit another into the pocket on the awning, which I thought was good planning, having one. Turns out that the spare had failed with a leak he couldn't fix properly so had bought another. The one that burst was the third he had that failed, all the original ones. The manufacturer did not warrant the bladders for more than one season, as they are a glorified plastic bag with a valve on. I am sure it is progress, but I don't recall the last time I had to replace a fibreglass tent pole

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hi, Just been looking at the Quest Pro, what is it like in strong winds and rain and because of length where do you store it? Cheers Bob
I’m a keen carp angler and have a number of high quality Shelters over the years. I am therefore a little picky and have high expectations… I was dubious when I first saw these, but was amazed at their stability in strong coastal winds. They are a great design. They are very popular at fun meets, with many having being used for season after season.

As for erecting, they could not be easier even single handed.

Hope that helps?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we love our quest its the larger one and can cram 8 inyes its big weusually travel with it on the floor and stationary it goes corner to corner in the shower or under the van

Upvote 1

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
This is what we use, but it’s not a drive away. If you’re cycling around the areas you are staying in, do you need to move your ‘van at all……? :unsure:

View attachment 551586
Which model is this, it’s a Suncamp isn’t it, but which one?
Looks like it would be quite stable and easy to live with.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Hi, Just been looking at the Quest Pro, what is it like in strong winds and rain and because of length where do you store it? Cheers Bob
We've got a Quest pro 4. No issues in rain or in windy conditions. My only issue is getting from the van to it in very wet conditions.
We store ours in the garage across the width. I have put hooks in the garage ceiling and suspend it with straps.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We started with a driveway but found getting back to exactly the same spot to reattach was a huge issue. If it was more than a couple of inches out either way, it either sagged over the habitation door, or did not quite reach the van. Ended up using it stand-alone, then fitted a roll-out.
Use tent pegs by your wheels and that helps when you return lining up within a fine tolerance

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Brilliant in strong winds. As long as you have the straps secure it is going nowhere. Rain does not blow through even when the sides are up. The nets break the wind down to a breeze, hopefully a warm one, lol. We store ours above the cab on our Coachbuilt. It only weighs 14kg so easy to put up there and only around 6 inches diameter. I would say it is just over 4 feet long.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
We liked to moved every few days and often did not even put the sunscreen/awning out. Now a little less mobile (joint hip knee and ankle problems - pun intended) so recently we decided to stay in one place a little longer and walk/cycle and drive around to explore the area.
So we needed an a tow-bar, an A-Frame, and rear air bags. We had experienced poor weather in Spring and Autumn so managed to buy second hand a side and front rain blocker. With all of these we visited Broadway, Brecon and Gowerton in August and noticed that many people had awnings - drive away and some more permanently attached. But we also saw many many “pop up” gazebos and tents and we liked the arrangement where others had the same two panels we have and a pop up under the sunscreen.
SO our next task was to buy a Quest Screen House Pro 4 but, as any one who has tried to buy one of these at the moment knows, there are none available. We happily settled for a second-hand Quest Screen House 4 (not Pro) and, included in the sale, a wrap-around three sided rain block.
The OP may be interested that the reason for the sale was that, packed away, the Screen House is long! I have just measured it in its bag and it is 70”. She said it got in the way in her medium wheel based Fiat Ducato if she did not want to put it up. It is no problem to us as we have a large rear locker that opens on both sides.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We bought a quest 4 but don’t stay long enough in one place yo use it do will probably.
In your position staying at a site for a week at a time they found ideal.

Upvote 0
Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
On the subject of drive away awnings, I have a Star Camp Challenger high awning that's been collecting dust for a few years.
If any one would like to collect it they're welcome to have it. Only problem is it's in France at the moment.
Will only go to the tip otherwise. Rather a waste!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyclewalkbob
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your replies, after much thinking re drive away awning and pop up and the an interesting discussion with Yvonne( who suggests we do not really need anything else to muck around with - but Yvonne we can store the electric bikes in at night) I have just put a deposit down for a Crest 4 Pro as it is the quickest and probably the easiest additional shelter to put up.
I hope to try it out in Derbyshire and Suffolk in April/May.

Thanks again for all your advice

Bob

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your replies, after much thinking re drive away awning and pop up and the an interesting discussion with Yvonne( who suggests we do not really need anything else to muck around with - but Yvonne we can store the electric bikes in at night) I have just put a deposit down for a Crest 4 Pro as it is the quickest and probably the easiest additional shelter to put up.
I hope to try it out in Derbyshire and Suffolk in April/May.

Thanks again for all your advice

Bob

As suggested at the start of this thread, I think it will fulfill your requirements very well indeed! 👍🏻

Upvote 0

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
We have a Quest Falcon Driveaway awning, we have a converted Transit so not a lot of awnings were wide enough for the door. This one is brilliant, only about £300 and has poles so we can store the poles separately, an air beam one is a big lump to store. We've got the hang of reconnecting it after a day out (helps if you are using the levelling ramps, just drive onto those, bob's your uncle). So handy being able to leave things out in it, there not being a lot of space in a converted transit for things like drying your towels, feeding the dogs etc. Only thing we found, one camp site we were on this summer just gone, needed steel pegs and a drill to get anything into the ground. Couldn't use either the awning or the dog garden, just had to tether the hounds and sit in the sun. (Terrible! Not) So far every single site we've stayed on has shown up some shortcomings in our kit! We're getting there. But I definitely like having the awning, without it we'd have the elements making their presence felt every time we open the door.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Hi,

Cheers

Bob

I have one for sale at the moment, but I would still say, no best avoided as I would have thought you already had enough room inside the motorhome, and what is the problem with being in it, it's cosy? We bought I liked the awning when we had a campervan, about 4.* metres long so we had very limited room inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyclewalkbob
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Yes we love our Motorhome, we have been all over the UK and Europe in it.

It is just that I am now not able to cycle/walk all day like we used to and therefore there will be more time just relaxing around van, hopefully in the sunshine! But we know that is not always the case in the UK and my thought process was that if it is windy, wet or both then instead of sitting inside all the time it could be good sitting outside but sheltered from the worst of the weather.
I hope to be able to do this now, but if if we still end up in the van then it is no problem either.
Perhaps I am over thinking/anticipating something that may never happen, so I can always use the quest at home or sell it.

This is the new normal for us now and we aim to make the best of it and enjoy life to the full.

Again thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments, we might even see you up the road sometime.

Cheers

Bob

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2018
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi,

Cheers

Bob
We bought a drive-away awning when we first bought our motorhome. We used it once when we stayed on a site in Spain for two weeks. We couldn't have driven away because the pitch was too tight to manoeuvre the motorhome (you need plenty of room to be able to drive straight onto/away from the tent). We sold it and bought a Quest SunHouse 2, which is easier to handle, lighter to pack and much more flexible (even use it at home in the garden).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back