Should I Dinitrol underseal my 2017 Ducato PVC? (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
What are the opinions on undersealing my new Globecar PVC?
I have a MX5, and these are notorious for rusting - they come from the factory with exposed galvanised steel chassis and underbody and are prone to rust away without third party undersealing - and I had my MX5 steam cleaned, rust protected and full dinitrol undersealed by Preserve & Protect http://www.preserveprotect.co.uk/ earlier this year

They can do a PVC for £800. it takes 5 days - its a full wheels off- arches out, cavities injected and complete underseal treatment - I'm kind of thinking it might be a good investment in the long term.

what are the thoughts an how prone are the Ducato PVC chassis to rust?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think it's worth doing and if the price includes the wax oil / dinitrol it's not bad... the stuff isn't cheap now..
Can't see it taking 5 days mind especially if they have all the facilities to do the job...
Still as I said I think it's worth the effort..
Andy.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
- that's all in - cleaning, materials and labour -

it took them 4 days for them to do my MX5 -
a day to remove wheels, arch liners, and steam clean & dry
a couple of days to mask off all the suspension components that were not to be treated, brakes exhaust etc, do the rust conversion, treat door inners and inside of chassis members and do the underside dinityrol treatment
and then a day to let it cure before reassembly -

so an extra day for the larger PVC doesn't seem unreasonable.
they have 4 sets of ramps, so tend to work on a number of cars concurrently - and it is a small operation with only 2 guys working - so the car is on the ramps for the entire time with the wheels off and covered with dust covers to protect the paintwork from any overspray , but they are not spending the entire time working on the motor

they did a super job on the MX5 and have a good rep.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We are planning to keep it - we can't fit anything bigger on our drive (width wise) - so not much of an option to change to something bigger.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would do it.
Met a couple this year with a new Fiat Ducato PVC. They had given up repairing the rust on their previous one. They were having the new one treated.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The MX5 has minimal rust proofing, they don't need it due to the Japanese not putting salt on the roads, and they don't add any for cars they export. We have a ND and like most owners had it done from new, only 50 or so dry miles so no steam clean, £350

European vehicles have much better rust proofing and from what I've seen of the Ducato it's better than I expected, especially regarding the reputation Fiat used to have.

You'll definitely get the money back on the MX5 after a lengthy ownership but I doubt that will apply to a Ducato. Worth doing though if you have the money and know as you do that it's a proper professional job.

Another option is to do it yourself, new treatments are not as stinking and messy as the old fashioned waxoyl, I'd never use that again but £50 worth of Dinitrol or my preference Bilthamber Dynax S50, UB, UC, used appropriately on venerable areas is clean and easy to apply.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Remember reading somewhere not to sleep in van for X days after treatment due to fumes etc.
That aside sounds like a sound idea

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Relative to all the other motorhome expenses, £800 sounds very good value....
I love the idea of making things last, go for it (y)

Jun 12, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since1982
We got our Pilote low profile done at Auchterarder. Price for waxoyl was £350 and for Dinitrol was £450. That was for a new van and the job was done in 3 days. Thy even gave me a couple of spare tins of Dinitrol away with me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Modern Ductatos are galvanised and it appears to be very good, our first van we had 6 years and no signs of rust anywhere. Where some paint flake of the front top crossmember it revealed a clean galvanised surface underneath.
Unless you are going to keep it for a very long time I wouldn't have thought it was worth it.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
gerry mcg out of interest, did you ever go ahead with this, and if so do you think it was worthwhile?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back