Should I buy…. (1 Viewer)

catherineg

Free Member
Aug 2, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
don’t own one yet
Thinking of a camper /motorhome for relatively short outings for me and the dog. I know nothing about motorhomes and at this stage don’t want to spend a massive amount. I’ve seen an auto sleeper which is lovely and has clearly been well cared for. My anxiety is that it’s in a 25 year old petrol Peugeot Boxer with 106,000 miles on the clock and has been standing doing very little for the last 18 months. I think that it has also been well maintained but I’d be less concerned about a Diesel engine, I think. Really grateful for any views/advice.

OP
OP
catherineg

catherineg

Free Member
Aug 2, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
don’t own one yet
I would definitely pay for inspection, but would welcome views on whether it’s worth doing that with a petrol engine of that age and mileage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wave Hello GIF

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Depends on what mileage you may cover, quite often you plan not to do much but if you find you are enjoying it mileage will increase. Petrol small coach built of that age going to be in the eighteen to low twenties at best. Diesel 22/26
petrol bit simpler maintenance diesel more technical. More important is chassis rust, look up the mot history for any failures.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Spare parts may be an issue going forward, check out the steering,many vans of that era did not have power steering and can be very heavy to maneuver. Gearboxes and rust are also a worry on that era of van.

Best of luck.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.

Enter the reg'n on the gov't website (link under) to check MOT history, especially for rust problems. It gives MOT test results from 2005.

Since you 'know nothing about motorhomes' post a link to the advert which will enable better informed opinions.

Last edited:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Our first ‘van was an old AutoSleepers Clubman GL - what ‘van are you looking at……?:unsure:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
A boxer if that age will have an xu engine.

Which was a generally a reliable engine.

Check the coil and plugs as well as oil fuel and air filters and your good to go.

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back