Should Caravan insurance be compulsory... ( caravan on Fire )... (1 Viewer)

should caravan insurance be compulsory

• YES caravan Ins should be compulsory

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • NO don’t see the reason

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other please specify in a reply post

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Deleted User
Camping Card International should be insisted upon by all sites for all users. Third party cover is included.

Link Removed

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
[/HI]
Cycle's don't cause accidents, they are under constant attack from inconsiderate motorists. :Angry:

Where did that pearl of dubious wisdom come from?
Like many others, I have been cut up on the road and the footpath by pig ignorant cyclists who think they have the right of way everywhere just because they are on a bike.
I have even had fishing kit smashed by one going off a tow path in order overtake another cyclist.
Obviously, not all cyclists are guilty, but there are many. Just look around.
BTW I have a bike, so this isnt an anti bike rant. It's about insurance.
Third party risks should be covered. I would willingly insure when horse and dog owners do. Some of them are a danger on the roads / footpaths.

Of course there are no inconsiderate cyclists are there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Of course not.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Where did that pearl of dubious wisdom come from? Twenty five years of cycling 20 miles a day.
Like many others, I have been cut up on the road and the footpath by pig ignorant cyclists who think they have the right of way everywhere just because they are on a bike. I have also been a driver for many years and never had that experience. When driving I have a cyclists attitude to cyclists.
I have even had fishing kit smashed by one going off a tow path in order overtake another cyclist. Probably a member of the cruel sports association.:Smile:
Obviously, not all cyclists are guilty, but there are many. Just look around.
BTW I have a bike, so this isnt an anti bike rant. It's about insurance.
Third party risks should be covered. I would willingly insure when horse and dog owners do. Some of them are a danger on the roads / footpaths.

Of course not.:thumb:

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
[/HI]
Cycle's don't cause accidents, they are under constant attack from inconsiderate motorists. :Angry:

i have seen pedestrians being hit by cyclists running through red lights and on one case the pedestrian was air lifted to hospital so dont give the crap that cyclists dont cause accidents.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have seen pedestrians being hit by cyclists running through red lights and on one case the pedestrian was air lifted to hospital so dont give the crap that cyclists dont cause accidents.

Regrettably many cyclists take the same view as Buttons and many also believe that they are not subject to the same highway codes or disciplines as the rest of us.

Many, not all,,, are more of a danger to themselves than from other road users.

On the insurance side of things,,, what happens if a cyclist jumps the lights and scratches down the side of your car.:Angry:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Buttons, me old cotta pin,

I also try to have a cyclists attitude towards cyclists, but many cyclists expect all right of way in al circumstances as divine right.
We are encouraged to think about how vulnerable cyclists are. They should also be encouraged to realise the same.
Are we to assume you have never..
Seen a cyclist jump traffic lights?
Ride around them on the footpath?
Jump in front of traffic queue (dangerous to say the least)?
Ride accross a PEDESTRIAN crossing, expecting drivers and pedestrians alike to give way?

You have never seen bad road behaviour from a cyclst? Must lead a sheltered existence.

I'll repeat what I indicated earlier.
This is SOME, not ALL cyclists.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On the insurance side of things,,, what happens if a cyclist jumps the lights and scratches down the side of your car.:Angry:

no... but have you ever hit a chicken ... cost me a radiator.. who do I claim ??

or how about a deer landing on your bonnet? Happened to my son who lives near Perth , nearly wrote his car off.. so take care while in bonnie Scotland.. the deer don't abide by the highway code.. :roflmto:

cattle, horses, dogs, cats, sheep deer. etc etc ... do they all need insuring .. ?

of course not, totally impractical ... that's why we have fully comp ..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, me old cotta pin,

I also try to have a cyclists attitude towards cyclists, but many cyclists expect all right of way in al circumstances as divine right.
We are encouraged to think about how vulnerable cyclists are. They should also be encouraged to realise the same.
Are we to assume you have never..
[HI]Seen a cyclist jump traffic lights?[/HI]
Ride around them on the footpath?
Jump in front of traffic queue (dangerous to say the least)?
Ride accross a PEDESTRIAN crossing, expecting drivers and pedestrians alike to give way?

You have never seen bad road behaviour from a cyclst? Must lead a sheltered existence.

I'll repeat what I indicated earlier.
This is SOME, not ALL cyclists.
There is one reason why cyclists tend to sometimes cross not jump red lights. it is self preservation. Have you ever sat at a red light on a busy main road with impatient and blind car truck and cab drivers. The lights go green and it is every man for himself who gives a shit about bikes. You should give it a try in London. Jumping lights is a vehicle term. Cyclists cross lights safely to stay alive.:thumb:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
no... but have you ever hit a chicken ... cost me a radiator.. who do I claim ??

or how about a deer landing on your bonnet? Happened to my son who lives near Perth , nearly wrote his car off.. so take care while in bonnie Scotland.. the deer don't abide by the highway code.. :roflmto:

cattle, horses, dogs, cats, sheep deer. etc etc ... do they all need insuring .. ?

Absolutely agree, but these are animals who act be instinct. Have hit a few sheep in my time ( no puns please) and they make a right mess, and that is what comp ins is for.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There is one reason why cyclists tend to sometimes cross not jump red lights. it is self preservation. Have you ever sat at a red light on a busy main road with impatient and blind car truck and cab drivers. The lights go green and it is every man for himself who gives a shit about bikes. You should give it a try in London. Jumping lights is a vehicle term. Cyclists cross lights safely to stay alive.:thumb:

Fortunately that is not what the Police think. Seen them pull 2 cyclists at the same time recently who were " safely " "crossing a red light"..

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

That's bullshit, but to be fair it's almost quality bullshit.

Jumping lights is jumping lights, whatever terminology is used.
In a busy place like London cyclists are a liability. You never know which way they are going to jump as most are exempt from giving hand signals, it seems.
We can go on forever, but as long as the fault apparently lies with blind car, truck and taxi drivers, the cyclist will never be at fault.
There are no impatient car, truck or taxi drivers. (My turn for a daft statement)
At least you have admitted that cyclists jump red lights, a very safe procedure in itself?

Anyway, should caravans require insurance?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Cant add to your perfect answer, you dont have to be in Scotland. I was driving along Hempsted road in the centre of Watford speed cam every 200 yards, I can safely say that I was travailing at 27 mph coming up to a cam, when one almighty bang, a roe deer had come out of a garden and took my A/C radiator off. He was in no fit state to give me his details at the time but he did live to tell the tale.:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]That's bullshit,[/HI] but to be fair it's almost quality bullshit. Isn't that just typical for a driver, in the wrong all you can do is revert to obscenities. ::bigsmile:

Jumping lights is jumping lights, whatever terminology is used.
In a busy place like London cyclists are a liability. You never know which way they are going to jump as most are exempt from giving hand signals, it seems.
We can go on forever, but as long as the fault apparently lies with blind car, truck and taxi drivers, the cyclist will never be at fault.
There are no impatient car, truck or taxi drivers. (My turn for a daft statement)
At least you have admitted that cyclists jump red lights, a very safe procedure in itself? Untrue John I said they cross red lights::bigsmile:

Anyway, should caravans require insurance?.... NO.....::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Buttons you can dress it up in whatever language you like, but "crossing" red lights is still an offence. Cyclist, car driver, truck driver ambulance, fire engine, police car or motorhome.

And for the record I am a cyclist, car, motorhome and truck driver and a motorcyclist.
I just don't like inconsiderate road users, whoever they are.
All road users should be insured in my opinion, including cyclists, horse riders and joggers.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons you can dress it up in whatever language you like, but "crossing" red lights is still an offence. Cyclist, car driver, truck driver ambulance, fire engine, police car or motorhome.

And for the record I am a cyclist, car, motorhome and truck driver and a motorcyclist.
I just don't like inconsiderate road users, whoever they are.
All road users should be insured in my opinion, including cyclists, horse riders and joggers.
Are you in the insurance industry?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Fortunately that is not what the Police think. Seen them pull 2 cyclists at the same time recently who were " safely " "crossing a red light"..
Dont get this......if you ride across a red light the chances are you will be killed. Please emplane.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Dont get this......if you ride across a red light the chances are you will be killed. Please emplane.

Exactly, we were sat in a que at the lights which were on Red, 2 cyclist came up the inside of the waitting traffic and edged across the lights while still on Red. There was a police car in the waitting traffic the other side. Who stopped then and pulled them over.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the other thing cyclists do at traffic lights that then gets blamed on blind truck driver is to hang 1 hand on the bottom of the door mirror bracket or on the front wheel to save putting their feet on the road then procede to get knocked off because the truck was waiting to turn left.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

[HI]cattle, horses,[/HI] dogs, cats, [HI]sheep deer[/HI]. etc etc ... do they all need insuring .. ?

i think you will find that most farm animals you would be able to claim off the farmers public liability insurance normally through the NFU.
I have successfully claimed for a smashed alloy wheel and shredded tyre from a cow knocking stones into the road off a dry stone wall. (although to be fair it helps if you know who's wall it is)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i think you will find that most farm animals you would be able to claim off the farmers public liability insurance normally through the NFU.
I have successfully claimed for a smashed alloy wheel and shredded tyre from a cow knocking stones into the road off a dry stone wall. (although to be fair it helps if you know who's wall it is)

yes, point taken... and if you know who's sheep it is .. do they kiss and tell ? :roflmto:

I am in favour of caravans and trailers being registered and subject to an MOT .. same as they do in most of the EU ... As mentioned, far too many hitting the road with duff tyres, brakes and or lights .. The reason why the police regularly stop caravans and check them over.. mostly during the summer on the M ways ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Makes you realise why the MCC insist on the 20'/ 6m rule and why vans should always be parked with the Gas locker the away from the next door van.
We tend to see caravans on a pitch with a awning and a car which extends to their total boundry, pity about the Camper next door paying the same for the same size pitch. Caravans!! no insurance, no MOT, no road Tax???
Tyres ??? Lets be right, how often are you overtook by a Rig doing 70 plus without any legal complications.
Should be Tax Tested and Insured, for the safety of all other road users.
The problem is several MP's are sponsored by the major Caravan Clubs, so they have 'clout'
Best Regards, Mac
How does that work then ?

it will either face the van on your left or the van on your right unless your on the end pitch :Doh:

unless campsites have adopted the nose to tail type of parking. :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[/HI]

There speaks a man who has never had the misfortune to work and drive in and around Cambridge

In two year, £1800 worth of damage caused by people on pushbikes in 4 different incidents.. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WHICH I WAS STATIONARY

As far as I am concerned ( and remember I Do ride a cycle an awful lot ) there are many many out there who are extremely dangerous and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage ( Last year I had a Blackbird in for rebuild after he was hit from the side by a cyclist on a main road.. He just decided to cross the road and rode straight in to the side of the motorcycle
No insurance of course, and the police could do absolutely nothing

£2100 bill which the rider had to fork out himself as he had TPF&T.. Even if he had had full comp, the loading on his next policy would have put the policy price at over £2000 )

Deleted User

If you need that explaining I doubt your suitability for using the same roads as the rest of us in ANY mode of transportation.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back