Short term insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Twiggy, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

We’ve been posted to W.Europe for the next few years and have decided to purchase a Motorhome. I pick it up tomorrow and am looking to get it insured for the UK for just a month before I take it to its new home. We have insurance sorted at that end (has to be in my wife’s name over there as I will not be resident until next year, but she is already there).

So I need to get it insured in my name (as it will be me on the V5) for the duration of just 1 month. Can anyone suggest a company that may do this at a reasonable price, or should I just bite the bullet and go for a reasonably-priced annual premium that I cancel once the vehicle has left the UK?

Cheers,

Twiggy

2. pvc

pvc Funster

Ratings:
    +73
    Hi
    Sorry I can't help with your question but the name on the V5 is incidental to the the insured name as far as I'm aware.
    Regards
    p-c

3. pvc

pvc Funster

Ratings:
    +73
    Hi
    Sorry, further thought.
    If you have it insured in an EU country, say Germany, then I believe you will have third party cover in the UK. Certainly works the other way. You may have to start your other insurance sooner and if registered in the UK you will need road tax which will need UK insurance. Will it be registered elsewhere in the EU if so the "road tax" there will be ok for the UK.
    All just my thoughts typed out and I stand to be corrected by others.
    Regards
    p-c

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +22,620
    Don't think you can get short term insurance for Motorhomes, cheapest way is to insure it for a year then cancel. Most companies charge a cancellation fee offer £25 some a lot more check before you insure. NFU don't charge for cancellations but depending where you live they can be expensive.

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Calle San Rafael 2,, 03730 Xàbia, Alicante, Spain
    Ratings:
    +4,519
    It would be better if purchased in the country your going to live, as you will need to be a resident after 182 days, buying in the UK is never easy or cheap importing into Europe. :D Bob.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,436