Short-term insurance for weekends (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to get short-term motorhome insurance for say a weekend. My brother may want to borrow my MH for one or two weekends per year but it is not worth insuring him for a full year.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Probably better off adding him as named driver on your insurance probably wouldn’t cost much .??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did quite a few years ago but can't remember who with.
I do know I had to insure him for a month even though it was only three days use and the cost was an additional £28.
Not worth it for a couple of days in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I added a friend to ours a few years ago it cost very little for the year. I would think about the scenario where there's a claim possibly not his fault who pays the excess who pays the extra premiums for the next few years?

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I used an app called cuvva when I bought my van, not sure if any good for motorhomes or if I needed to claim but it was easy and cheap to get cover

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I added a friend to ours a few years ago it cost very little for the year. I would think about the scenario where there's a claim possibly not his fault who pays the excess who pays the extra premiums for the next few years?
Reading post #4 above it appears the 'freind' is insured in their own right with that insurer so any excess or loss of no claim will fall on them, not the owner.
That site states the person wanting insurance has to fill the forms themselves, the owner can't do it for them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think carefully about whether to loan out your MH, to family, friends etc, if there is any damage of any sort which puts your MH out of action so you can't use it how would you feel ... many years ago my sister in law suggested she could borrow our MH to which my hubby quickly said "No!".

Its not the same as borrowing a car especially in the hands of the inexperienced.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be very careful, as in your mind you are lending it to your brother. If he has to pay costs to use it, he is in a legal respect hiring it. this will be a major issue if anything happens as your insurance policy is almost definitely going to specifically forbid this so cease all cover

adding him to your policy is the only safe way

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Depending on the weight of your motor home, does your brother have the correct licence?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back