Shopping List and Advise for solar panels ( nearly there...... ) (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I feed a 12 volt socket nearby so the wire is only 2.5mm. You would not have a happy time trying to use 6mm solar cable
These sockets are no good beyond 15 amps as they get hot so I would not dream of putting that load on them. Consequently 15 amp fuse is more than adequate.
I often feed a cool box from mine that takes 4.5 amps
CA_01021514391990-XL.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fitted a relay so I can switch the coolbox off from the bedroom above if it interferes with sleep
CA_05181514013013-X2.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, Andy not sure there must be something out there? any suggestions would be welcome,Thanks Roy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Is there a reason for using the load terminal rather than the battery
using the load terminals for say a TV will protect the batteries as the regulator will shut power off before damage occurs, in the past I have also ran my 150W inverter via the load terminals. Batteries are protected from low voltage by doing so. As most solar setups are installed after the van is built few people will use the load terminals.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, all I want to do is be able to use the load output, you must be able to run something's off it? surely that is what it is there for?.All i wound like to know is (what can you run off it?) (what size cable do i use)( what size fuse do i use)Thanks Roy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi, all I want to do is be able to use the load output, you must be able to run something's off it? surely that is what it is there for?.All i wound like to know is (what can you run off it?) (what size cable do i use)( what size fuse do i use)Thanks Roy.
The load terminal is just a short cut to your battery terminals. It will only provide what your battery can deliver.
It's not like a magic pot of electricity out of no where.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi,I ( KNOW IT IS NOT A MAGIC POT OF ELECTRICITY NEVER SAID IT WAS.) As you say it will only provide what your battery can deliver why do you use it? I now know what size cable and fuse to use.I am sure some funster's on here will suggest what low amp items i can use it for.Thanks,Roy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use it because it is where I want a socket and I already said 2.5mm and 15 amp

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi,I ( KNOW IT IS NOT A MAGIC POT OF ELECTRICITY NEVER SAID IT WAS.) As you say it will only provide what your battery can deliver why do you use it? I now know what size cable and fuse to use.I am sure some funster's on here will suggest what low amp items i can use nit for.Thanks,Roy.

There is no need to shout. He is doing his best to help. Maybe you should use your own initiative!

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, Stealaway Sorry do not you mean no need to shout Andy,you, and other funster's have been so help full,why do you say maybe i should own initiative,Think that in a bit hard.Thanks Roy. ps Andy has done more than his best.

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi, wildman Thanks for getting back to me,do you think i could charge a something like a mobile phone.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Phones only charge at between one and two amps. The current rating will be on your charger. So I think its safe to say it won't worry a 15 amp fuse

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi all, i think i have everything i need to install my solar panel system. I am looking forward to installing it when the weather gets better, which has now got me thinking about my battery bank. At the moment i have got two 85AH gel batteries, which are quite old so i am going to have them tested, but the problem i have got at the moment is, i would like around 250AH worth of power in my battery bank, so i do not know whether to just buy two new 125AH batteries or buy a 85AH gel battery. the thing is, one 85AH gel battery is about £150.00 and i can buy two decent 125AH batteries for around the same price. I have scrolled the forum and it is like a mine field. i would like to know if anyone can recommend any decent batteries? I have looked at a hankook dc31fm and they look pretty good to me as you can get around 550 life cycles and come with a 4year guarantee and i think they are reasonably priced. I have also looked at banner batteries which can be recycled around 400 life cycles, they also look good but are quite a lot dearer. Has anybody got or had any experience with these batteries? i use an inverter occasionally for the wife's hair dryer, microwave ( but its only a small one ) and a toaster. These three appliances are on for no more than 2-5 minutes, the rest of the time, everything else is 12V.
I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice i have received up to now.

Regards Roy (Hobby 1 )

OP
OP
H

Hobby 1

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just Started
Hi all,i am thinking of having two separate battery banks,one for all the 12v in the motorhome,using the two 85AH gel batteries i already have,and the new battery bank to run the inverter.
Has anyone done anything like this,Regards Roy (Hobby 1)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back