Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Hi all, tomorrow we head off motorhome shopping.

We are going to as many dealers possible and plan to spend the whole day, even the whole weekend if we have to.

Sitting in everyone we come across until we find the right layout.
And then look at as many makes and models of that layout as possible.

What questions do we need to ask the dealers if we find "the one?"

And then there are some private ones we have our eyes in are there any questions we need to ask private sellers.
That are different from dealer question?

My latest list is

Enough seat belts.
Fixed bed.
Space for the dogs.
Dining area for 4 to eat Comfortably.

Thanks yet again for all your help

Michelle and Andy

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ask about servicing, habitation cert, mot, check for damp etc.

We just had a quote of £515 for a timing belt to be changed, so best to ask if it has one and when it was changed.
Good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Payload is a big one, don't believe the figures ask for a real figure. Also lounging, being comfortable lounging out to watch TV etc on wet days. Storage imagine where all your stuff is going to go.

Happy shopping :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our problem with the fixed bed was the lack of dining and lounging space.

So when you are sitting in the van imagine there are 4 of you round the table, and the person on the inside needs to go to the loo.

It can be a bit like playing Twister in a confined space.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Lots of great comments and advice from some great people :smiley:

It's good to hear from us all, but the only way will be to try them all and see what's right for you and that way you'll hopefully get it right first time. I spent 2 years looking for MY perfect motorhome, it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it is for me.

After 2 trips to the NEC and sitting in every motorhome on show, I wanted a fixed double at the rear, with the overcab bed for storage or guests/family. I took note and when I finally spent my pennies on my home, it had the fixed rear double, overcab double and 2 sofa seats facing each other that easily sat 6 and could also become a bed.

I also wanted a separate shower that worked with good sized fresh and grey water tanks. I wanted a separate toilet and I wanted a solar panel. I also wanted 2 long sofas that converted to a bed. It had to have a reverse camera, a microwave, a decent kitchen that had a sink AND a draining board (lots don't) and a decent oven, hob and grill. I wanted the external BBQ and shower points and an awning. I also wanted alloy wheels and a tow bar. All a big ask, but that's what I wanted and that's what I found. Get yourself to a show or as many dealers as possible, it's really the only way you'll find what you need and then you can decide if you want a new one or look for a secondhand one, which is what I did and was very happy with the money I spent.

I haven't regretted any of it and love that I now have a motorhome and can't describe how much fun they are to own. They're not cheap as there's maint costs, insurance etc and then the money to keep it in good working order, but all in all, it's worth every penny.

Happy motorhoming :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Michpiggy

So exciting... We were in your position 15 months ago. We had exactly the same requirements and we looked at so many vans, but eventually found something that from our perspective was perfect. We bought "Buster" a Bessacar E665 last August and we have been delighted. We are now just having so much fun....

Good luck and hope you find your ideal van

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Thank you all so much

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree that a visit to the Malvern show would be an ideal way of seeing a plethora of vans, both new and second hand all in one place. Granted it is raining here at present but you should be able to make it in 2/3 hours, it took me 3 hrs from Lancaster.

Upvote 0

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
As said by others payload,storage,layout that suits you.
Its funny I veiwed my house put in an offer after one look
I must have veiwed hundreds of motorhomes before buying so much out there so take your time and get the right one for your needs.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
I agree that a visit to the Malvern show would be an ideal way of seeing a plethora of vans, both new and second hand all in one place. Granted it is raining here at present but you should be able to make it in 2/3 hours, it took me 3 hrs from Lancaster.
Off there tomorrow,also looking for our first motorhome

Upvote 0

DandP

Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
We are doing the same as you. Next stop will be the NEC in October although we cannot afford a new one it's a good place to view the different layouts.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back