Shocked by insurance quotes, or am I being naive? (1 Viewer)

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Checked the insurance details when the documents arrived for the new van. Noticed they'd stated the van had an alarm. Phoned to tell them no alarm expecting an increase in premium. I got a refund - cheaper without the alarm :Eeek: and yes I double checked. Work that one out.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
We have just re insured our Arto. Having gone around the usual companies, Comfort,Saga,Adrian Flux, Safeguard etc we tried Lifesure whom came up with an identical Axa policy for £100 less than one of the others. We also had a small bump last September and were at fault. Our current insurers knocked our NCD from max to 3 years[yes we normally have it protected but there lies another story] however Lifesure said don't worry as my Husband is a named driver on my insurance and I have full no claims, they took the required years from that giving him his full NCD. Can't praise the service enough.
We have our European breakdown cover through the Camping and Caravanning Club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Just got some quotes on go compare and got a couple as low as £190 which I find to good to be true on a new chausson at 45k
Comfort was £320 with no euro breakdown cover

Is that important to buy European breakdown cover on a new motorhome that's under warranty for 2 years?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just got some quotes on go compare and got a couple as low as £190 which I find to good to be true on a new chausson at 45k
Comfort was £320 with no euro breakdown cover

Is that important to buy European breakdown cover on a new motorhome that's under warranty for 2 years?

Probably even more important. :LOL:

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Just a quickie as I'm on my lunch at work. Rang Safeguard over the weekend. Decided to insure it in hubby's name rather than mine (shouldn't make any difference, but he has no NCD). They quoted £1,090. I asked, just as a matter of interest, whether they mirrored NCD and she said they did. Insuring it in my name and mirroring my NCD - £590. Result!!!

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
A little off track, we have just insured our car in my name rather than my wife's (with Direct Line) as it worked out around £100 cheaper with no other differences (both retired with full NCD)!

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Just got our first renewal for insurance with Comfort on our 2016 Auto-trail, cost £234.14 without breakdown insurance which would be another £60.50.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Twelve pounds a week with zero no claims to cover a 50k vehicle, that sounds good to me. No idea how they do it for that price...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
"Have you had a claim, fault or not, in the last 5 years" When they ask that question and you say yes.

BING..

I suspect that's your problem..

Not true for me. I had a fault claim in my car, renewed the van a week after and the premium was £10 less than the year previous. I did have a protected NCB. I asked the insurers why it had not gone up and was told that just because Ive had an accident in my car doesn't make me more likely to have one in the van. I pay around £250 with business cover included but limited mileage. I don't have an expensive tracker or a Growler costing a fortune but I do have a standard Thatcham alarm which did reduce the premium substantially

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If that is the case they are trading under two different names. All my documentation states Motorhome Facts. There is no 'Comfort' mentioned on any of my doc's.
Same girls answer the phone they are only brokers the Policy is underwritten by Avia.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Checked the insurance details when the documents arrived for the new van. Noticed they'd stated the van had an alarm. Phoned to tell them no alarm expecting an increase in premium. I got a refund - cheaper without the alarm :Eeek: and yes I double checked. Work that one out.

This is similar to when I first got a campervan. It meant that I wouldn't be able to use the garage to put my car in without having to move the van first. So when car renewal came up I selected parked on driveway instead of garaged. Then I thought I'd see how much cheaper it would be if it were garaged and whether it would be worth the faff of moving the van to get the car out. It turned out it was £30 more if it were garaged overnight.

I guess this is probably due to the fact that garages are getting smaller and more crammed with other stuff. Therefore damage more likely in manoeuvring into the garage or stuff falling onto the car while in the garage

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think you'll find that Motorhome Facts insurance is underwritten by Aviva and administered by Comfort who are sole agents for Aviva Motorhome Insurance.
If in doubt ring Facts up and they will tell you.

If you try insuring a motorhome with Aviva direct, they tell you they don't insure motorhomes.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
This is similar to when I first got a campervan. It meant that I wouldn't be able to use the garage to put my car in without having to move the van first. So when car renewal came up I selected parked on driveway instead of garaged. Then I thought I'd see how much cheaper it would be if it were garaged and whether it would be worth the faff of moving the van to get the car out. It turned out it was £30 more if it were garaged overnight.

I guess this is probably due to the fact that garages are getting smaller and more crammed with other stuff. Therefore damage more likely in manoeuvring into the garage or stuff falling onto the car while in the garage
I have heard of that and the reason given was due to cars getting damaged going into and out of the garages.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
After being insured with Caravan Guard for 9 years last year the premium increased by £80 to £420 . Checked with Safeguard and they quoted £320 with protected no claims and the usual unlimited miles and breakdown cover. In May last year the van was damaged during a hail storm on a campsite. Must say Safeguard were very good processing the claim. It required a new roof and side at a cost of £7000. When I collected the van after the repair I fully expected to pay the excess of £250 but the repairer said Safeguard had not requested it due to it being a none driving claim Got the renewal today and only increased to £350 so will probably renew with them.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We have been looking for a secure storage site for months, so when this one came up we jumped at it. We are already paying the storage fee even though we haven't got the van yet. It is a Gold CaSSOA site, so we should get a reduction in price for that. We do live on the outskirts of east Manchester though :eek:

And there you go..Manchester.. i am paying £500 for a private use Renault Trafic van, with 4 years NCB .Its worth £1000. This is 2017 not 1989. It is what it is. £350 with no NCB is just unachievable IMO, and if you get anywhere near , read the small print.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
We got our insurance with Comfort, F/C with UK & Euro breakdown cover , no NCB for £325 for a 2012 Autocruise Accent

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We got our insurance with Comfort, F/C with UK & Euro breakdown cover , no NCB for £325 for a 2012 Autocruise Accent
Interestingly, (to me anyway:whistle:) I read today that insurance companies are now required to quote the cost of NCB protection separately rather than just include in overall price.

The rational being that if NCB protection costs you, say, £50 pa on your premium, and you continue to pay it for three years, the total cost £150 may exceed the increase in your premium if you claim w/o NCB protection.

I will watch it closely in future.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We're paying £490 for a first time insurance on our MH with the Camping Club. Our NCB is on the car. We are both coverered to drive and includes driving and breakdown cover in Europe. We're happy with that. Our motorhome is an Adria Coral Supreme 680ST 2011. There was no reduction for our secure Gold Storage on a farm in a very nice part of Shropshire.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We're paying £490 for a first time insurance on our MH with the Camping Club. Our NCB is on the car. We are both coverered to drive and includes driving and breakdown cover in Europe. We're happy with that. Our motorhome is an Adria Coral Supreme 680ST 2011. There was no reduction for our secure Gold Storage on a farm in a very nice part of Shropshire.
That is very high for a rural area about £300-£350 inc breakdown cover would be more realistic.

Reactions: Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
It appears that the CC insurance and breakdown cover are some of the best there is, according to reviews from people who have used them, so we thought we would go ahead with the CC...you don't always know quite what you are getting with insurance and breakdown cover and we wanted to feel secure in the knowledge that they will come up with the goods if required.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Ditto.
About £375 on a Hymer A class, although if it was a Rapid A Class, a Carthago A class or an N&B A class of the same value it would have been another 300 quid.

Mike

Interesting, I had a Hymer but now have a Carthago. The insurance on the Carthago is £200 to £300 more. Insurer's seem to enhance the premium on some brands !!!

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
That CC insurance for our Adria Supreme was £409 not £490 but does not include Breakdown cover we buy that separately.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just got our first renewal for insurance with Comfort on our 2016 Auto-trail, cost £234.14 without breakdown insurance which would be another £60.50.
That price for a van of that value seems very reasonable.My self built 2007 Relay is probably worth about £12k and I dont think it should be over £200 as I live in low risk area?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
You will need insurance cover before you can Tax the van and register it

Peter
Not any more. Insurance isn't checked prior to taxing a vehicle anymore because it's constantly electronically monitored anyway. At least that's the case with a used vehicle, not sure about a brand new one (except in Northern Ireland apparently).

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/vehicle-tax/changes

It's not checked when you tax online either.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back