Shocked by difference in fuel consumption (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I was a Marine engineer most of the time we sailed at 16 knots for economy. On the odd occasion we would get a 'hurry up' and push the engine to 26 knots, fuel consumption more than doubled. This was logged using calibrated equipment. I suggest that for wind resistance on a motorhome 56 mph or thereabouts is the land-based equivalent of 16 knots. Its also my cruising speed on motorways. We average around 30 mpg on a tankful including the slow bits. On a windy day this easily drops to 25/26 mpg.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just did an extended fuel consumption test.

2015 Fiat 2.3 150bhp
6 speed manual - cruise control
Weight 4 tons
Full day driving on the same road

70 mph (2500 revs) - 23mpg
57mph (2000 revs) - 30mpg

A little less speed, saves a lot of fuel
Just a word of caution,as has been mentioned in previous threads. When the engine is pottering along at around 2000 revs you stand a good chance of it sooting up. I have been advised by folks much more learned than me that this can be one of the causes of the dreaded "engine management light" coming on and dropping the engine into limp mode.
The erg valve soots up and garages love to charge you mega bucks for a replacement when often they just strip down the old one and clean it.
Diesel engines need to work to be efficient. Under advice from those in the know we now when on the run we try and keep the revs just under 2500/2750 and fuel consumption taken from tank full to tank full on our 2.2 citroen is between 25mpg and 30mpg depending on the terrain.
Anyway, it works for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just a word of caution,as has been mentioned in previous threads. When the engine is pottering along at around 2000 revs you stand a good chance of it sooting up. I have been advised by folks much more learned than me that this can be one of the causes of the dreaded "engine management light" coming on and dropping the engine into limp mode.
The erg valve soots up and garages love to charge you mega bucks for a replacement when often they just strip down the old one and clean it.
Diesel engines need to work to be efficient. Under advice from those in the know we now when on the run we try and keep the revs just under 2500/2750 and fuel consumption taken from tank full to tank full on our 2.2 citroen is between 25mpg and 30mpg depending on the terrain.
Anyway, it works for us
While I understand the thinking I don't do that. I will regularly run it up to 3000rpm through the gears but no higher and 2000/2200 cruising. As an ex HGV driver day in day out @56mph the revs are about 1500/1800 rpm.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
While I understand the thinking I don't do that. I will regularly run it up to 3000rpm through the gears but no higher and 2000/2200 cruising. As an ex HGV driver day in day out @56mph the revs are about 1500/1800 rpm.
I'm hgv as well, just let them slog a bit on hills , that will keep em clean .just come back from Spain 2500 mile trip on crappy French super market deisel, no probs . I can't get my head around how clean the inside of the exhaust pipe is , 7500 miles and it still looks like new, 5 years ago it would be black with soot

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm hgv as well, just let them slog a bit on hills , that will keep em clean .just come back from Spain 2500 mile trip on crappy French super market deisel, no probs . I can't get my head around how clean the inside of the exhaust pipe is , 7500 miles and it still looks like new, 5 years ago it would be black with soot
Does it run with Adblu? That's the zorst cleaner.(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
With a low profile Fiat 2.3 we can achieve up to 33 mpg on Motorways at 60 to 65 mph, but more usual average is 26 to 28 mpg.

No need to go tearing about on normal roads so enjoy the journey. Many of the best villages we have found in France have been by accident. Although we do use Satnav Mrs Maison likes a map and tends to say " Take the next left. It looks like an interesting road." Sometimes her "interesting" turns out to be my "terrifying", :eek:but we have seen some very interesting places over the years.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No need to go tearing about on normal roads so enjoy the journey. Many of the best villages we have found in France have been by accident. Although we do use Satnav Mrs Maison likes a map and tends to say " Take the next left. It looks like an interesting road." Sometimes her "interesting" turns out to be my "terrifying", :eek:but we have seen some very interesting places over the years.

Angela is the same as my grey hairs can testify :eek::LOL:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i just stick on the cruise control, 60 mph,1500 rpm, and the good news is,,,,,,,,,, watching the fuel meter go down bloody quickly.
dash reads 9 mpg all the time, think its stuck

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
i just stick on the cruise control, 60 mph,1500 rpm, and the good news is,,,,,,,,,, watching the fuel meter go down bloody quickly.
dash reads 9 mpg all the time, think its stuck
I once worked for a haulage company who bought a fleet of Scania's because they did eleven to the gallon instead of the nine mpg our Mercs were doing.:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My old Hymer 2.5td has averaged 26 mpg over the last 4,500 miles. Similarly, I rarely exceed 60mph and mainly drive at HGV speeds on dual carriageways/motorways.
Good idea here as 100kph is the m/way limit. for Mhomes.
See 2,A, 4.
Broken Link Removed

Anyway, it works for us
At 2000rpm my car is doing 75mph. At 2750 rpm we are up over 90mph.:)

To limit soot build up, change down a couple of gears when you hit a real hill and get the exhaust temperature up to burn out the soot. A long hill is best.
Doesn't matter what speed you do in my car when you go to open the boot the exhaust will take the skin off your foot. Ask me how I know.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
My boss has just bought a new euro 6 Scania, and was told that what comes out of the exhaust pipe is cleaner than what goes in through the intake ,, crazy!!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Good idea here as 100kph is the m/way limit. for Mhomes.
See 2,A, 4.
Broken Link Removed

At 2000rpm my car is doing 75mph. At 2750 rpm we are up over 90mph.:)

Doesn't matter what speed you do in my car when you go to open the boot the exhaust will take the skin off your foot. Ask me how I know.
Then may be you should be in a lower gear. Who knows I'm no expert(?)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our exhaust pipe, at 18000 miles, is sparkly clean inside too. Haven't seen a drop of soot, dust or anything inside it, and that's almost 100% on cheap French supermarket fuel, and averaged around 27 mpg from new.
We mainly keep to around 60 mph.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not the exhaust temperature, I should have been more specific, the exhaust gas temperature. This needs to be high to burn off the soot and other non-combustibles. We are talking 550C plus.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Proctology...had to look it up, thanks to google:)

Here's a bit more........drag force is proportional to velocity squared

57 mph.....drag 3250

70mph....drag 4900

in other words 50 % increase in drag, other factors will affect fuel consumption so a 30% decrease in fuel consumption seems OK.

With all these calculations of permutations and coefficients of air drag and bow waves diminishing the vehicles forward speed by a % governed by the % of added acceleration. Can anyone calculate how fast you would have to go to enable you to meet yourself coming back.:restmycase::)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My boss has just bought a new euro 6 Scania, and was told that what comes out of the exhaust pipe is cleaner than what goes in through the intake ,, crazy!!
Yes & it has been like that for years & yet they still want to impose further 'improvements' ?

Then may be you should be in a lower gear. Who knows I'm no expert(?)
Unfortunately it is an auto.:)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
With all these calculations of permutations and coefficients of air drag and bow waves diminishing the vehicles forward speed by a % governed by the % of added acceleration. Can anyone calculate how fast you would have to go to enable you to meet yourself coming back.:restmycase::)
warp speed,,, ask mr scotty:sneaky:

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I try to avoid soot up by on large hill hold in a lower gear that I can negotiate the hill without having to change down or up on the hill.
saves on half shafts/clutches.
For them that still have halfshafts.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Not sure what mileage we used to get on HMS Resolution but we only refuelled every 5 years or so.
In the motorhome now I manage almost 30mpg travelling at a high speed around 2000 revs/ 58mph on the dash (55mph on the satnav). Works for me as I am now retired and will spend another 8 weeks meandering around Europe this Spring/Summer. :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not sure what mileage we used to get on HMS Resolution but we only refuelled every 5 years or so.
In the motorhome now I manage almost 30mpg travelling at a high speed around 2000 revs/ 58mph on the dash (55mph on the satnav). Works for me as I am now retired and will spend another 8 weeks meandering around Europe this Spring/Summer. :)
Sounds like a plan. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We run with the sat nav and dash cam showing the speed. In truth they both show the true speed is four mph lower than what the van speedo says, so your 70 mph is 66, and 57 is 53. We travel at a true 62 mph in a 4.3 ton scout, and getting 25.5 mpg
I don't believe you, I've never seen a Fiat speedo that accurate, they are normally +10-12%. :D:D:D

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
As I'm contemplating a new x290 I'm rather concerned about the low figures quoted here. My present high top camper van seems to do about 34 mpg over long trips, often with quite high touring speeds. I don't quite know how the ships and RVs (about the same consumption?) got in there but it's good fun.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As I'm contemplating a new x290 I'm rather concerned about the low figures quoted here. My present high top camper van seems to do about 34 mpg over long trips, often with quite high touring speeds. I don't quite know how the ships and RVs (about the same consumption?) got in there but it's good fun.
When spending £50k-£100k on a new van and with the mileage Motorhomes do, in most cases less than 8000 a year the fuel cost is fairly insignificant in the overall running costs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back