Shieling Holidays - Isle Of Mull (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
The Shieling Holidays campsite is about 400 yds from the ferry port at Craignure on the Isle Of Mull. Hard and grass pitches are available. All the hard standings are fully serviced. Cannot speak for the others. The site is right on the coastline with excellent views out over the sea back to the Scottish mainland. The village of Craignure offers a general store, filling station and a pub that serves food and drink. The site is tidy enough whilst not being of the standard found at main club sites. There is a bus stop at the ferry port offering services towards Tobermory and Iona. Bus trips are expensive! We declined to pay the £25 return for two people to Tobermory. We did pay to get to Fionnphort which is where you get a ferry over to Iona. That was about £34 return for two. Other than the road between Craignure and Tobermory all other roads are single track with passing places. Be warned if you are someone who uses their MH to explore the vicinity of the campsite! We had terrible weather for our stay, but even so I will say that Mull does not offer that much to see and do. Two or three nights should suffice.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Thanks for that, The Bows. We're staying there one night towards the end of October before going on to a cottage rental.
You didn't mention Arlene's! This is the coffee bar just near the ferry port. Great little place, lovely choice of her home-made cakes. But beware - she's like Marmite, you'll love her or hate her, be nice and you'll do fine, but just read the Trip Advisor reviews and you'll see what I mean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Never had any problems with the roads on Mull. Yes,they are single track but that is to be expected. Certainly wouldn’t consider getting a bus to avoid them!
There is a lovely site just outside Fhionnport, Fiddes Farm, no EHU or hardstanding but fabulous views across to Iona. Seems to be closed for the season now.
If you can get parked at the harbour, there are laundry facs in the Harbour office.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We've had great times in Mull and could easily spend a couple of weeks travelling around, even though we've spent around two weeks there already on two visits.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
I agree - Mull one of our favourite islands and find it lovely to explore in our 7 m MH. Roads narrow but plenty of passing places and regularly spend 4 - 5 days there a year at Sheiling. Great walking

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
We stayed there back in May, a very nice chap was running the place.

We took our 7m Class everywhere on Mull. It's a bit narrow here and there but nothing really to worry about. We looped the whole island - about 100 miles or so I think. I remember seeing a long double decker coach over at Fhionnport and realised that it had got there the same way we had.

If you want a challenge, try keeping up with school bus lady around the narrow lanes near Ardalanish in her 7m minibus!

IMG_3612.jpg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The Shieling Holidays campsite is about 400 yds from the ferry port at Craignure on the Isle Of Mull. Hard and grass pitches are available. All the hard standings are fully serviced. Cannot speak for the others. The site is right on the coastline with excellent views out over the sea back to the Scottish mainland. The village of Craignure offers a general store, filling station and a pub that serves food and drink. The site is tidy enough whilst not being of the standard found at main club sites. There is a bus stop at the ferry port offering services towards Tobermory and Iona. Bus trips are expensive! We declined to pay the £25 return for two people to Tobermory. We did pay to get to Fionnphort which is where you get a ferry over to Iona. That was about £34 return for two. Other than the road between Craignure and Tobermory all other roads are single track with passing places. Be warned if you are someone who uses their MH to explore the vicinity of the campsite! We had terrible weather for our stay, but even so I will say that Mull does not offer that much to see and do. Two or three nights should suffice.
Stayed at this site many years ago in one if the Canvas Sheilings( big tent) and loved it, the kids enjoyed the narrow gauge steam trips from the site to Toronsay Castle and back, we enjoyed the food and drink at the Craignure inn.

I am surprised you said the there is not much to do on Mull, it may not have a fun fair or a night life, but it is one of the premier islands for wildlife, including Golden and White tailed Sea Eagles, Otters, and during the summer months the Whale watching trips out of Tobermory are a great way to spend a day.
If your not used to single track roads then I agree parts of Mull can be hairy, with blind bends and 150ft drops into the sea by the roadside but you need to give it a try, there is so much to see and do.
We are going onto Mull from Barra via Oban in a couple of weeks and stopping at https://www.crannich.co.uk/ for a few nights, nice and sheltered from any bad weather, if it comes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back