Shieldaig

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by gordoncbrown, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Ratings:
    +569
    Hi , I have been given very rough directions to a place at Shieldaig that is a nice place for a night or two. Just a water hose and an honesty box. Does anyone have any more info on it?

Thanks

2. keith

keith Funster

Ratings:
    +1,881
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Magical place. The 'campsite' is above the village with an honesty box at the entrance and there is a public loo down the hill; very clean and well kept - it had hot water when we were there a few years ago.
    My son and I climbed Ben Alligin (which lies across the loch - I think it is visible from the campsite) whilst wife and daughter stayed behind and sunbathed. Local lads sold them fresh mackerel which they barbecued. I think we got the best deal as the view from the top of the mountain over to the outer isles was unforgettable (and I don't like fish!)
    But that was probably 10 years ago; the weather was wonderful and we camped in a tent for a few days. Two or three years back, we stopped by again in the motorhome but it was raining stair rods and the campsite looked a bit too soggy for my liking so we moved on to Lochcarron.

Attached Files:

4. blamehofman

blamehofman

Ratings:
    +502
    A fantastic area also worth the drive to Torridon past some brilliant scenery and three magnificent mountains Beinn Alligan , Liathac , and Beinn Eighe then along to Kinlochewe and Loch Maree one of the most beautiful Lochs in Scotland . There is a free camp site at Torridon but for tents only and a Caravan Club site at Kinlochewe . Some excellent walking to be had too for all capabilities at the Beinn Eighe nature reserve.