Shetland Over Xmas - Any Pointers (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
G'Day Funsters,

I was wondering if any of you have ever visited 'Shetters' over Xmas. We are potentially looking at a short hop between the 22nd and 26th Dec. These dates would be the ferry travel times.

Has anyone got a particular camp site on the mainland which they would recommend. It would need to have showers and an EHU capable of powering an industrial sized hair dryer (for me, not Nicky:D).

The ferry has sleeping pods available but are these things any good.

Any advice or good n' bad experiences would be really appreciated as I have very little knowledge of ferries, or Shetland come to think of it.

Thanks all,

Andrew

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Don't know about the ferry to Shetland , but first on my list of must takes would be seasickness tablets :D.
Think you can go to Orkney first and break up the ferry trip.
Good lady and I went to Outer Hebrides last June. Oban to Barra was five hours , bored rigid by the end of the crossing. The fact you can get a sleeping berth will probably help greatly.
Once we Got to Barra it was short crossings for the rest of the islands . Loved it. Would like to go to Shetland but we have a collie, so maybe too long on the boat, we'll see.
I think I would prefer to go at this time of the year for a bit of snow , and photographs of larger waves at the shore. Small waves whilst on the ferry though:).
Whatever the weather , ENJOY.
John

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
It's a 12 hr.crossing so if you don't get sea sick I would get a cabin and have a good nights sleep. Pods are ok but you might get disturbed.if you are a poor sailor like me you'll spend most of the journey hanging over the back of the boat:(:(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can I would book the ferries in advance as they are likely to be very busy I suspect.
And take plenty of torches - it will be pitch black by about half three every afternoon. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'd have to agree with @WillH, we travelled there from Aberdeen for nearly ten years to link up with Norrona en route to the Faroes. I can only remember one year when the weather was kind enough that I risked buying a fishing ticket to while the very long day away, and that was in the summer. We did manage the occasional walk and a bit of sightseeing but if it wasn't raining cats and dogs the wind was enough to keep us in the car or in the few shops even in Lerwick.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can’t help with any info Andrew but would love to see some photos if you do make it over there, we’ve always fancied going there because of the constant sightings of orca whales, there have been videos of them right along the shoreline this year, but we travel with 2 dogs so the crossing is too long, one day though!
Have a good trip.
Dave

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just been checking, on Christmas day in Shetland there are less than seven hours of daylight, if there is no cloud.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
There aren’t any large sites in Shetland, most of the sites are more like Aires or CLs, and are typically at marinas. We stayed at a number of them earlier this year, and Skeld would probably be good for you, and is open all year.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you can I would book the ferries in advance as they are likely to be very busy I suspect.
And take plenty of torches - it will be pitch black by about half three every afternoon. :)

Good advice on both points. I've checked the ferry price today and £519 looks to be the going rate (for now) with no seat, pod or cabin etc. It's certainly not cheap so we're still thinking if an outlay of £900 all-in is worth it for 5-days.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'd have to agree with @WillH, we travelled there from Aberdeen for nearly ten years to link up with Norrona en route to the Faroes. I can only remember one year when the weather was kind enough that I risked buying a fishing ticket to while the very long day away, and that was in the summer. We did manage the occasional walk and a bit of sightseeing but if it wasn't raining cats and dogs the wind was enough to keep us in the car or in the few shops even in Lerwick.

Thanks Rob, I've watched the Shetland Detective series :D (all three) and I've got to admit that the place looked incredibly bleak at times. I don't mind the extreme weather from time to time but I think the boss would be unhappy if we were stuck in the van for the full 3-day period.

Thanks for the post-up.

Andrew

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I could get you a 30% friends and family discount on the basic fare (not on cabins etc) if that would help, but the Christmas and New Year period is excluded, sadly.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I think that they’d be more likely to see ‘The Merry Dancers’ (Northern Lights) than see any snow there.

Ian

We've never seen them Ian so that would be a big plus; that would make Xmas for us (y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Can’t help with any info Andrew but would love to see some photos if you do make it over there, we’ve always fancied going there because of the constant sightings of orca whales, there have been videos of them right along the shoreline this year, but we travel with 2 dogs so the crossing is too long, one day though!
Have a good trip.
Dave

Ha ha, I will do Dave,

Nicky thinks it will be a rough experience but I've told her it will be fine. I think she has a slight inclination that I'm bluffing it:cool:

That said, I am slightly concerned that it will dull the trip if the crossing is rough.

Also, Nic asked tonight why we should be going North when everyone else appears to be heading to the South and the sun - she has a valid point.

Very best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The odds of seeing the lights are pretty low and of seeing snow there even lower!

Fingers crossed though.

Ian

Cheers Ian, a shame about the first point but great about the second.

We are only travelling from Durham so may I ask what have been your experiences of travelling to Aberdeen over the Xmas period in terms of the weather and the road conditions.

One other thing that I've been meaning to ask the forum is the question about Ferry on-off ramps; have you found them to be easily negotiable from a ground clearance perspective.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I could get you a 30% friends and family discount on the basic fare (not on cabins etc) if that would help, but the Christmas and New Year period is excluded, sadly.

Damn decent of you. If only if were a different time eh.

I'm being cheeky now but do you know if there are any discount codes available for the Xmas period.

Many thanks,

Andrew

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry, no, the only discount I know of is the F&F scheme, and it doesn’t apply between 18th Dec and 6th Jan.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you haven't already booked I would personally head to Durness instead, nice and north, good for big waves, good possibility of snow, save the ferry for a longer trip, Sango Sands site never shuts, you only pay for electricity and then only about £5 I think, but even if £10 its good value in winter with so little light and heat around

Jan 2014

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

above was a midday photo look at shadow

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We are only travelling from Durham so may I ask what have been your experiences of travelling to Aberdeen over the Xmas period in terms of the weather and the road conditions.

I’m afraid that’s not a route that I’m familiar with but it’s a main road fairly close to the coast so I’d guess you should be ok. Perhaps others who have travelled it may be able to be more specific.

One other thing that I've been meaning to ask the forum is the question about Ferry on-off ramps; have you found them to be easily negotiable from a ground clearance perspective.

We’re an 8.4m tag axle with a very long (and low) overhang and have never had a problem that the loaders couldn’t handle. If necessary they will put wooden blocks under your wheels if you need extra clearance.

Ian

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you haven't already booked I would personally head to Durness instead, nice and north, good for big waves, good possibility of snow, save the ferry for a longer trip, Sango Sands site never shuts, you only pay for electricity and then only about £5 I think, but even if £10 its good value in winter with so little light and heat around

Jan 2014

View attachment 199078

View attachment 199080

View attachment 199081

View attachment 199082

Those pics are fantastic Dave. I do take your point about the ferry trip, costs, and the short time we've got to enjoy the sights though.

Nic has said the same thing in all honesty.

Thanks good mate(y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We’re an 8.4m tag axle with a very long (and low) overhang and have never had a problem that the loaders couldn’t handle. If necessary they will put wooden blocks under your wheels if you need extra clearance.

Ian

Great example, thanks Ian. Our van is long over the rear axle but it still has a fairly good clearance.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Jan 2014

View attachment 199078

View attachment 199080

View attachment 199081

View attachment 199082

It’s a gorgeous spot, I didn’t realise it was open all year, we were very lucky with the weather last time we went there, I still think this place takes some beating though :)
46B4E7D5-C8F3-4EF2-8F6D-64D73EBB3B98.jpeg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Take a big coat. And a big 'at :)

I'm a northern bloke so I'll only take a big coat in the event of the following: Hurricanes, severe floods, ice age temperatures of below -32 or where gales of more than 161mph are expected.

If none of those are likely then I'll just take a jumper.

:D

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm a northern bloke so I'll only take a big coat in the event of the following: Hurricanes, severe floods, ice age temperatures of below -32 or where gales of more than 161mph are expected.

If none of those are likely then I'll just take a jumper.

:D
Hope yer still wearing shorts ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back