Free Member
Jan 14, 2014
wales
Funster No
MH
low profile motorhome
Exp
since 2008
We've been motorhoming now for about seven years, I still can't get my head round leveling the van when it slopes both ways. Is it possible?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes. Buy a couple of large pillows. (y)(y):)

We don't really bother, as long as (and if possible), our heads are 'uphill' of our feet. A bit of front to back dosent make mush difference. Be careful, you can get really paranoid about levelling up, something to avoid, as your sat outside looking at the damned thing all the time, and wondering......'Is it level enough'?

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, within limits with just two ramps. Decide which wheel needs the most lift and the wheel goes to the top of that ramp. Decide which wheel needs the next most lift and position the ramp relative to the first so that the wheel typically doesn't go up as far as you drive up. It is essential the ramps don't slip, so get the plastic tails that the wheel goes over to hold them. That's then not far off what you can do.

Or in my case, I press a button (feeling smug) :)

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not sure what you mean by "slopes both ways". If our van is sloping to the front & one side or to the rear & one side then we just use a single leveller under the low wheel or two as Dave has said above.
In general so long as the fridge lights and it isn't too much hassle to drain the shower it's level enough.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think I might be a bit OCD, I like to be level, always were with the caravan which is our course a lot easier than 4 wheels. Now we have the motorhome I don't see any reason to let standards drop so I am with Dave and just push the button, if you don't have the luxury of hydraulic jacks or 4 way air suspension it still makes life a lot easier if you have air suspension on the rear axle that you can raise or lower as that does half the job for you without messing with too many ramps.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We had a similar situation a couple of months ago......... so we put TWO levellers under the 'lowest most downhill' wheel'....

About 20 minutes later whilst having a brew we wondered what the strange 'scraping' noise was????

Then...........

BOOM ..... the two chocks shot out across the car park and we suddenly 'dropped' :eek::eek::eek:

No damage........ we just felt a bit stupid (there were other vans in the Aire) :rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I would caution against using just one leveling ramp, particularly with a coach-built.. C or A class.. as this can twist the chassis resulting in body joints being stressed and opening up.. you won't notice until they leak..

Just my opinion.. but I'd rather suffer eggs at one side of the frying pan as a leak..

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As long ad I roll into the wall rather than out of the bed lol

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would caution against using just one leveling ramp, particularly with a coach-built.. C or A class.. as this can twist the chassis resulting in body joints being stressed and opening up.. you won't notice until they leak..

Just my opinion.. but I'd rather suffer eggs at one side of the frying pan as a leak..
I think maybe the stress of constantly changing wheel loads when the van is being driven will be somewhat greater than that caused by a single ramp?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think maybe the stress of constantly changing wheel loads when the van is being driven will be somewhat greater than that caused by a single ramp?

you have a point.. and certainly on uneven / rough ground, ..on tar mac.. very little
'normal' coach built motorhomes shouldn't be used off road any more than is necessary..

but as I said.. my opinion .. jacking or using a ramp on one corner will twist the chassis
Panel van conversions don't have this problem..

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We have an app called 'Tiltmeter' which helps determine how to place the ramps. Pity it doesn't actually level it :wink:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
you have a point.. and certainly on uneven / rough ground, ..on tar mac.. very little
'normal' coach built motorhomes shouldn't be used off road any more than is necessary..

but as I said.. my opinion .. jacking or using a ramp on one corner will twist the chassis
Panel van conversions don't have this problem..

Don't go to Portugal then Jim, all their roads are like that. :LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ever tried to cook a couple of fried eggs in a frying pan if the van ain't level? They roll into each other, plus you heads not level and the fridge may not work on gas, so get it level(ish)
Well, it all depends for whom the eggs are intended for. If it's yourself, then no problem. If they are for both yourself and a lady, also no problem, you just spent the night rolling into her! :) If she objects, eat both eggs yourself, and give her the beans. (y)
New style fridges are not as susceptible to levelling as older designs were(are).

In the past RV refrigerators were very sensitive to being level, if they weren’t level they would often not operate. This is not the case today. New RV fridges are less sensitive than their older counterparts in terms of operating off level. For instance, Norcold tells us that their fridges are made to “operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back”. However, this does not mean you can expect your fridge to operate while parked on a hill. Level your RV normally. If all looks level your fridge should be ok to operate. If you want to be sure, or if you have an older fridge, you can purchase a little fridge level specially designed for this task.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
the rear of our camper is higher than the front so we can usually sort the back to front levelling by placing it appropriately to even out the slope, for side to side we use the ramps ... easy peasy! So long as we can cook and eat without having to hang on to the pots/pans with one hand to stop them sliding off we're happy.:)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you slope both ways aren't you on the top of a triangle, give us a ring and let me know!!!:D

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i use millenco caravan m/h leveler,s stop c where u lie put under wheel/s level also act as safe gaurd as chained [some times] to jack point,s

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes. Buy a couple of large pillows. (y)(y):)

We don't really bother, as long as (and if possible), our heads are 'uphill' of our feet. A bit of front to back dosent make mush difference. Be careful, you can get really paranoid about levelling up, something to avoid, as your sat outside looking at the damned thing all the time, and wondering......'Is it level enough'?
Why waste your time looking at it, just carry a small spirit level

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning

If the van is uneven when parked normally without levelling blocks, won`t this also cause the chassis to come under stress, therefore levelling should alleviate any potential problem caused to flimsies:drink:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the van is uneven when parked normally without levelling blocks, won`t this also cause the chassis to come under stress, therefore levelling should alleviate any potential problem caused to flimsies:drink:

NO.. not if the wheels are all on one plane.. the slope or incline of the plane makes no difference..

if you have three wheels on one plane and you jack up the fourth that will twist the chassis.. on a flimsy that will stress the joints..

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Personally I have a pair of Quattros and a Fiamma large yellow wedge , use the 2 quattros on main slope of vehicle and if necessary use the fiamma on which ever of the other two wheels as required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back