Shell Island (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are thinking of going to Shell Island next week for a couple of days or more.
Is there much with in walking distance and any public transport.
Any other recommendation of campsites around that part of Wales.

Thanks
Chris

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It depends how far you want to walk, its a long way to the village on the main road . Thats where the public transport is.
But there are plenty of walks all over the island.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shell is best enjoyed doing absolutely nothing but relax.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Would recommend you take loads of food with you ... walking off the island and back again is too far with groceries .. long way to nearest town. There is a shop on the island with limited schoice and astronomical prices. The cafe breakfasts arn't too badly priced. Don't forget if you book 6 nights then the 7th is free but you have to mention it or you don't get it.

Hope the weather good for you. Enjoy.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you have not been to Shell Island before I would definitely go, the
Walks are completely diverse beach/ woods/ harbour/ sand dunes. Excellent showers with hair dryer plugs, so much to do you won’t need to leave the island, good bar and cafe as well as shop on site, if you have bikes it’s a pleasant cycle ride to the village where you can catch a bus into Barmouth or Harlech. Enjoy,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There is a long walk,but the road up to it is narrow in places.."The Roman Steps" anyone in Llanbedre village will tell you.
Walk back towards the village and you come to the railway X'ing you came over on the way down to the Island,trains can take you into Barmouth,or the other way to Portmadoc
You can "Walk" off the island at high tide,when the Causeway is flooded,ask at the office
Shopping, Coop in Barmouth, but village shops sell all the main needs though.
As @Snowbird says. Chill out,if yu are a Worm drowner....Take your fishing tackle.
Enjoy.
Tea Bag

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
There's a train station 2.8km up the road, days out Harlech, Portmadock or Barmouth but like others have said enjoy Shell Island first :)

OP
OP
hchris
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the replies.
Any recommendations of sites worth visiting around that part of Wales.
Thanks Chris

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Llechwidd Slate caverns at Blaenau Ffestiniog... Especially if its raining (Inside-underground...(y))
Beddgelert ? Train trip up Snowdon ? Port Merion ?Those are only four,out of hundreds of places in the area.
There's nice for you...;) (Written with a Welsh accent:ROFLMAO:) Boyo!
Loved the tourist advert for Wales a while back on TV. Two chaps sitting on the grass,one said words to the effect. " Have you heard Bryn has gone to America on holiday ?" the other chap replies " Why /" The camera pans around and there is Cardigan bay in all its glory
Tea Bag

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Made the mistake of going there once. Absolutely despised the place. Full of the worst type of chav and their screaming offspring.

I can't think of a single positive.

I'd scrape my eyes out with a spoon before I'd consider going there again.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Made the mistake of going there once. Absolutely despised the place. Full of the worst type of chav and their screaming offspring.

So you're not keen then Nick!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

See post above yours .. think that so right.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

we always thought it over-rated and over-priced.. but usually get shot down on here for saying so.. but still of that opinion..

Prices http://www.shellisland.co.uk/prices.html

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Guess it depends ... it costs me £35 for seven nights. :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
we always thought it over-rated and over-priced.. but usually get shot down on here for saying so.. but still of that opinion..

Prices http://www.shellisland.co.uk/prices.html

The problem is that they charge per person. When I was a single camper I used to take the RV and boat down there for less than £70 per week with no slipway charges. £40 for me and the RV and £30 for the boat. Cheap as chips.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I found it expensive for what it is, basically parking in a field. Around £20 per night for 2 people and 2 dogs if I remember correctly.

That’s not my issue though. I would, and have, happily pay 3 or 4 times that to be in a nice place and a nice location.

I don’t think Shell Island is in a particularly nice location though and it’s certainly not convenient for anywhere else. If they demolished that monstrosity in the middle, I think it’s meant to be a bar or something, and invested a lot of money on staff training it might make the site itself barely tolerable but that’s all.

I’ll always remember Shell Island for the member of staff’s response to my question about what to do with my grey water. I was told, completely seriously, “oh just let it drain on the road once you’re out of the gates” and when questioned further “that’s what we always tell people to do.”

Needless to say I ignored that particular instruction but it does say a great deal about the operators of the site and their attitude in general.

Contrast it to Lyndon Top. They have basically the same business model, make a far better job of it, in a location that’s about a million times better and manage to charge considerably less.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont think a drop of grey water is going to make much difference when the Irish sea comes over the road about 6 ft deep at high tide :).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I dont think a drop of grey water is going to make much difference when the Irish sea comes over the road about 6 ft deep at high tide :).

No probably not but when you see the ranting and raving that happens when someone accidentally doesn't close their tap properly and lets the faintest drip come out on to the road who in their right mind is going to drop a tankful specially when it could be 6 hours until the Irish Sea comes anywhere near it (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I found it expensive for what it is, basically parking in a field. Around £20 per night for 2 people and 2 dogs if I remember correctly.

That’s not my issue though. I would, and have, happily pay 3 or 4 times that to be in a nice place and a nice location.

I don’t think Shell Island is in a particularly nice location though and it’s certainly not convenient for anywhere else. If they demolished that monstrosity in the middle, I think it’s meant to be a bar or something, and invested a lot of money on staff training it might make the site itself barely tolerable but that’s all.

I’ll always remember Shell Island for the member of staff’s response to my question about what to do with my grey water. I was told, completely seriously, “oh just let it drain on the road once you’re out of the gates” and when questioned further “that’s what we always tell people to do.”

Needless to say I ignored that particular instruction but it does say a great deal about the operators of the site and their attitude in general.

Contrast it to Lyndon Top. They have basically the same business model, make a far better job of it, in a location that’s about a million times better and manage to charge considerably less.

Must be honest I love Lyndon Top too... but I miss @scotzsue ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back