LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We tend not to go there when the children are of shcool so can't say what is like on bank holidays, we love kids but prefer the I sland quiet & peaceful and plenty places to camp when they are back school
Regards Kate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Main issue this year is when Easter falls, end of March :) Going to hit and miss on the weather.
Only been once, lovely spot but as mentioned school hols :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I love it when not too crowded and the winds not blowing a gale ..

When you go through the arrival part, you go up a little slope and can go left or right. Right is towards where there is a small harbour, left (my favourite ) is towards quieter side sith long beaches .. keep driving .. on your right first will be rock pools .. keep going and then you come to sandy beaches..

Take enough food and milk ... the shop is limited in stock and RIDICULOUSLY expensive. When you drive .. as said above .. you can turn up onto field and at the top will open to panorama of bay .. you can park anywhere you want.

Remember if you pay for 6 nights 7th is free ..or used to be but you need to ask.

There is a cafe that does English breakfasts. The pub is expensive.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't miss the dunes. Wherever you pitch, walk due south right in among them. You'll think Lawrence of Arabia is going to appear around one before too long. Unique.

Plus it'll help you escape from the Easter hordes - it might be quite busy. We much prefer term time weekends there.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are an OAP its £40-50p per week, thats less than £6 per day. You must ask for the concession on arrival. If you have a boat with under 6 HP motor its free launching. I used to keep a cover over the 55 HP and just leave the auxiliary motor on the transom.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It’s a lovely place to explore when the weather is kind. If you’re lucky, you’ll see the dolphins. We finally got to see them last year.

I’ve only been in September, so can’t comment about how busy it will be or on the weather but take plenty of warm clothing.

Wrap up and enjoy (y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We really like the place. Beach is amazing and goes for miles so fab walks. Agree about the sand dunes and great fun to watch the rabbits run and hide as you walk through them. If you have transport Harlech castle is worth a visit. There is a good circular walk through the site and causeway along the airfield but be aware of tides times. Loads of people go crabbing off the causeway when the tide goes out. We've always had great weather but it can be very windy so pick your pitch with that in mind. Enjoy!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
You will find it very busy when it's school holidays it's like too completely different places when the children in School it's very much quieter. If the weather is nice make your way down by the beach have a explore of the sand hills, wonderful walks along the beach. If it's windy try and park more inland towards the woods but if it's rainy take care because the bottom half does flood.
All that said it is a wonderful place we love to visit, if you have bikes take them lovely bike rides and a good hotel in the village.

OP
OP
Markncharlotte

Markncharlotte

Free Member
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Vw Crafter conversion
Thanks for all the info, really looking forward to it now

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Does anyone know how I download a link to my Media forum ... my albums ...Shell Island 2015 .. please?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As an afterthought, if you've got bikes and want a local day trip there's a lovely trail along the Mawddach Estuary between Barmouth and Dolgellau which includes crossing the Barmouth rail bridge which is the country's longest wooden bridge of its kind.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been going to Shell for over 40 years. First with my kids and now still going with the grandchildren. My children, now grown up, still go to Shell in the summer although they also holiday all over the world. Childhood memories are made on places like Shell as you are still able to do the old fashioned holiday pursuits like playing in the sand, crabing, collecting shells, fishing, and boating without all the trappings of the modern world. Take an old tin can and collect a few dry logs and have a BBQ on the beach. Ahhhh, bliss.
Morocco 029.jpg
Morocco 011.jpg
Morocco 027.jpg

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
WE need to be ready to protest about the new so-called 'space station' they may build in the old airfield. If it goes ahead the road through the airfield which is currently designated as an escape route for the island when tide is up will not be available to use in an emergency and the site will have to close on safety grounds. The owners are waiting to see what happens... Those who love it there be warned...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Should be 15 metres from your neighbour. Dont know how busy in school hols it will be. Might be a nightmare but ive only been when its quieter. Love it.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It’s what you make it! Have been several times often with several other funsters, it’s like being in the Cubs/scouts again, scavenging for wood, (ask @Carol ‘s Eddy) bonfires in the rain, songs around the campfire, barbecues in the sun (and rain) walks down the beach, parties on the beach, boat fishing for mackerel, nude swimming, pints in the bar, fun and frolics, superb place (I lied about the nude swimming, but I’m sure you could!)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
May I ask that you take extra bin bags with you and if you go for an early morning walk along the beach .. collect the rubbish that idiot people leave overnight on the beautiful beach .. just stack them by the ample bins placed along the edge of the sand dunes. Thank you.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ok an this is in my phone ...
On the top search bar to the right of forums click the bars and open media