Shell Island space threat (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
No it's not going to be crowded out with caravanners.
According to a report on tonights ITV welsh news the disused airport at Llanbeder that ajoins the Shell Island campsite is being considered as a possible site for a space launch station.
Plans to launch both vertical take off and reusable space craft are being proposed.
The site owners from Shell were interviewed and expressed there concerns about the scheme and it's affect on this gem of a site.
Looks like a good story for April 1st

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We once attended a rallie near to middle wallop and raf odium and had a mishap with a low flying helicopter. it was low flying over the fields and crossed the hedge/tree line at under 50ft altitude. the propwash uprooted a couple of vanners awnings and rocked our van violently. the pilot realised his error and immediately banked away and upwards. now imagine the down draught of a rocket launch next to a field full of vans

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Surely not a Welsh rocket programme, imagine ShiftZZ rants he'd have to compare Wales with India and deny financial assistance to Wales:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Would the command centre personnel speak Welsh all the time, or only when an English speaking Astronaut tried to touch base?:whistle::whistle:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I heard the old airfield was being considered as a space rocket launch site some months ago - I believe one of three or four different locations under consideration in the UK.

The thing that strikes me as being slightly unlikely about the airfield next to Shell Island is the fact that it is within the Snowdonia National Park - which has extremely restrictive planning constraints. So don't know if somebody is just 'flying kites', or whether it's a serious possibility?

Mike

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
When we were there a couple of weeks ago, the TV people were filming on the Island then, perhaps that's what's it all about.

robarb38

Free Member
Mar 8, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"since 1984"
So were we and saw you there Carol, lovely place hey.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
HeavenOnEarth.jpg

Feel so very sad now... how can they even think of doing ANYTHING to spoil this little piece of Heaven.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Dee at Burton Marshes was a site for rocket testing years ago and that is an RSPB reserve!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hope you enjoy it - and wish I was coming, but on grandparent duties in Bath!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Any Funsters coming to shell Island beer fest this weekend ? Weather forecast say heat wave on Saturday

Oh how wonderful for you... Already booked in at Southport.... a lovely meet.

Why do lovely meets keep overlapping now. :( LOVE Shell Island .. Have a wonderful time. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back