Shell Island: Recommended or Favourite Pitch Areas? (1 Viewer)

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We're hoping to pay our first visit to Shell Island next week and wondered if anyone who has been previously could recommend any particular area of the site to pitch up on or make way for?

Having looked at the online map it seems there are numerous options and I can't decide if we need to make for the 'Potato Field' or 'Back of Beyond'!

There'll be the two of us and dog.

Not too bothered about being close to the main facilities, but beach access for puppy to explore would be good!

Thanks in advance for any top tips and advice

Cheers

Andy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If it's bank holiday weekend you will be lucky to get near the beach, when you get in the site turn left keep going over the hill down the dip and fork right by the white stones, that's as near the beach as you will get, normally beautiful peaceful, school holidays it's a different place all together, but then it is a brilliant place for children.

OP
OP
Imbiber

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Carol.

We're hoping to get there late Tuesday so any pointers in the right direction for pitch selection will help speed up the liquid refreshment process!

Sorry, forgot to ask if that would be 'White Rock Field' on the camping map?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.png
Not sure if it's called that, but it's a sharp right past the little toilet block on your left. Us there last year. beware you don't fall down the cliff like someone I know did last year .

Edit. I bought the rainbow flag because I thought it was pretty.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Edit. I bought the rainbow flag because I thought it was pretty.

I believe you Carol... :Eeek: :giggler:

Judy did the same a few years ago... :RollEyes:

Then a "Funster" showed her the error of her way`s.. :tmi:

So gave it to a lovely guy in the club... :wink:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We were there on Sunday night, first visit for decades. Mercifully it wasn't busy, as I imagine it could be Hell on Earth when it is. I think I could see maybe half a dozen tents and MHs in total from where we were. I have to admit we'd forgotten what an impressive spot it is - we'll definitely be back, but at quieter times.

We opted for one of the higher up beachside pitches to the south of the entrance, well not so much pitch as patch as there's no markers - you just have to observe a 15 metre rule. If you go higher up you will catch any breeze unless you're behind a wall, but you'll get a stunning 360 view of the local scenery on a clear day, from Llanbedrog Head to Snowdon and down to Cadair Idris.

Alternatively if you're into dunes, head off for the far SE corner - the dunes are (and always have been) a surreal landscape unlike any other I've seen anywhere. Once you're into them you half expect Lawrence of Arabia to come trotting up the gulley on a camel, and they stretch for miles. I love them.

For the sandier part of the beach ideal for poochie walks, head south, where you can walk to Barmouth and back if you so wish :)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've been there when it's really busy over Oktoberfest weekend and because the beach and site is so big it isn't chaotic. Yes here will be lots of children but it's big enough to find quite places. My advice would be to drive around when you get there and see what you can find but remember that because it is a free to camp anywhere place, you're quiet patch may get filled up as the time goes on.

OP
OP
Imbiber

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We were there on Sunday night, first visit for decades. Mercifully it wasn't busy, as I imagine it could be Hell on Earth when it is. I think I could see maybe half a dozen tents and MHs in total from where we were. I have to admit we'd forgotten what an impressive spot it is - we'll definitely be back, but at quieter times.

We opted for one of the higher up beachside pitches to the south of the entrance, well not so much pitch as patch as there's no markers - you just have to observe a 15 metre rule. If you go higher up you will catch any breeze unless you're behind a wall, but you'll get a stunning 360 view of the local scenery on a clear day, from Llanbedrog Head to Snowdon and down to Cadair Idris.

Alternatively if you're into dunes, head off for the far SE corner - the dunes are (and always have been) a surreal landscape unlike any other I've seen anywhere. Once you're into them you half expect Lawrence of Arabia to come trotting up the gulley on a camel, and they stretch for miles. I love them.

For the sandier part of the beach ideal for poochie walks, head south, where you can walk to Barmouth and back if you so wish :)

Brilliant! Thanks for the comprehensive reply. (y)

OP
OP
Imbiber

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We've been there when it's really busy over Oktoberfest weekend and because the beach and site is so big it isn't chaotic. Yes here will be lots of children but it's big enough to find quite places. My advice would be to drive around when you get there and see what you can find but remember that because it is a free to camp anywhere place, you're quiet patch may get filled up as the time goes on.

Thanks for the advice. Apparently they're fully booked now for the B/H weekend, but Tuesday onwards there is space available so I suppose we'll take what we get.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Just watch out when driving for soft sand, a lot of vehicles get stuck and need a tow to get out. Especially so if you go near the dunes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back