Shell Helix Ultra Professional AP-L 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thinking of buying the above oil for my just out of warranty Ducato 150BHP Euro5+
Can get it for £8.99 a litre if I buy 15 liters, so will do 2 changes plus top ups.

Opinions please?
Can you buy cheaper?

Oil Filter is Fiat 71779555, I can buy a fiat one around £15 but can get a Bosch one for around £9.00
Your opinions please.

Bare in mind that the vehicle has low mileage so if the engine did have issues then Fiat may still contribute towards the repair.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just called the Exxon helpline and the Mobil is not approved by Fiat so she advises not to use it as it could effect any engine claim with Fiat

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I understood the Fiat reccomended Oil to be :

SELENIA WR 5W 30 PURE ENERGY MOTOR OIL, 1 L Amazon product ASIN B01BKJK7GG
Not cheap but the best never is.

It's "recommended" in Europe because Fiat have a commercial marketing agreement with Petronas Oils.

Arguably however there are better oils available.

Shell Helix is the oil recommended by FCA for the Ducato (Ram Promaster) in the Americas. It also meets or exceeds the relevant Fiat specification. I used it for my first year oil change, and I'll be using it again this year, as I've already bought the oil.

Had my last oil change done by a Fiat Pro dealer to keep the 3rd year warranty, and they didn't use Selenia either ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

£18.74 per litre :eek: and not even the right oil for @jezport 's van.

Jezport, forgot about your filter question first time round. Nothing wrong with Bosch filters, Mann arguably better.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
fiat recommend 0W-30 now on new engines ours is 2018 Just bought some for a top up it was €20 a ltr in Spain.(y)(y)(y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

As recommend by Fiat and quoted in the Manual, specifically the reference bottom right, why go against the correct recommendation today’s oils have so much variation. 9.55535-S1is the reference and the Selena Petronas is the only one that quotes it.

I don’t understand why people pay £10’s 000k for a MH and try to save a Tenner for what feeds the heart of the engine.

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ...
Manufacturer Part Number: 1412 Number of Units: 8,0
Reference Number OE: 14121619, OM0085, FL14121619, 14121600, FL1412, FL14121616, CT.R. SAE Viscosity: 5W-30
Reference Number (s) OEM: 0W30, fully synthetic, Engine Oil, Tin Canister, Fiat, Oil, Oil Brand: Selenia
Product Type: Engine Oil Measuring Unit: L
Type: Fully Synthetic Manufacturer Release: Fiat 9.55535-S1
Manufacturer: PETRONAS

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Opie oils are worth a look and are very helpful.
They've normally got deals on as well.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
As recommend by Fiat and quoted in the Manual, specifically the reference bottom right, why go against the correct recommendation today’s oils have so much variation. 9.55535-S1is the reference and the Selena Petronas is the only one that quotes it.

So Shell are lying when they say that Helix Ultra Professional AP-L meets/exceeds Fiat 9.55535-S1 ?

Likewise Fuchs when they developed Titan GT-1 Pro C2 ?

To name just two of many alternative oils that meet or exceed that Fiat specification.

I don’t understand why people pay £10’s 000k for a MH and try to save a Tenner for what feeds the heart of the engine.

Because they can obtain identical or what they consider to be better quality oils than the often hideously overpriced Petronas product...

Because they are following the instruction in Fiat's technical documentation (which is what matters in the event of any claim, not a marketing "recommendation" in the owner's handbook) that they must use "an ACEA C2 oil meeting or exceeding Fiat specification 9.55535-S1"....

(Which is why your Fiat dealer may not be putting Selenia in your sump either, although they may not admit that).

Because Fiat themselves recommend Shell Helix in some other markets, which is a strange thing to do if you think that Selenia is the only oil that meets their specification...

And personally, as an exiled northerner, because needlessly throwing money down the drain for no good reason and causing myself unnecessary inconvenience, when I can use what I consider to be a better and more easily obtainable product fully compatible with the vehicle manufacturer's specific requirements albeit not maximising their profit margins, also causes me sleepless nights ;)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
And personally, as an exiled northerner, because needlessly throwing money down the drain for no good reason and causing myself unnecessary inconvenience, when I can use what I consider to be a better and more easily obtainable product fully compatible with the vehicle manufacturer's specific requirements albeit not maximising their profit margins, also causes me sleepless nights ;)

Once again I reiterate that Fiats recommended oil and specification is the Petronas product and though I value your contribution I will continue to use it, my Fiat dealer doe and will continue to put Petronas in my Sump as I specify it and ensure that’s what goes in.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
So much nonsense spoken about oil, a bit like those wine snobs.

If you feel better paying over the odds, go for it.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So much nonsense spoken about oil, a bit like those wine snobs.

If you feel better paying over the odds, go for it.
The link I put up earlier has the oil for euro5+ Fiats at a lower price than the Shell so in not paying mor, Im paying less

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Once again I reiterate that Fiats recommended oil and specification is the Petronas product and though I value your contribution I will continue to use it, my Fiat dealer doe and will continue to put Petronas in my Sump as I specify it and ensure that’s what goes in.

It is of course your money and your choice. You are still confusing recommended and required specification though.

Recommended to the end consumer = please buy Selenia as we have a commercial marketing agreement with Petronas and it is in both our interests financially for you to do so.

Required specification - published to automotive professionals engaged in the maintenance and repair of Fiat vehicles who are subscribed to the Fiat Technical Information Portal, which includes their authorised dealer network = a 5W30 ACEA C2 oil to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It is of course your money and your choice. You are still confusing recommended and required specification though.

Recommended to the end consumer = please buy Selenia as we have a commercial marketing agreement with Petronas and it is in both our interests financially for you to do so.

Required specification - published to automotive professionals engaged in the maintenance and repair of Fiat vehicles who are subscribed to the Fiat Technical Information Portal, which includes their authorised dealer network = a 5W30 ACEA C2 oil to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1

Its the to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1 thats the issue, Mobil (exxon) dont recommend their oil as to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Its the to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1 thats the issue, Mobil (exxon) dont recommend their oil as to Fiat specification 9.55535-S1

No, but there are plenty that do. I can't be bothered to search for and list them all, but I mentioned two above - Shell Helix UP AP-L as per this thread title, and Fuchs Titan GT-1 Pro C2.

Fuchs are the manufacturers of Silkolene oils which are highly regarded.

If you go to vendors or oil manufacturers websites and search on the required Fiat specification you will turn up plenty of options, some of which not just match but exceed the required specification.

Opie Oils are a good place to start, then check eBay for their own sales as you can sometimes find them selling the same products cheaper than their own website and with free postage too. Don't rely on their (or any other vendors) oil matching by vehicle registration or make/model, as they are often wrong!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back