Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi - have purchased a new motorhome and looking at ideas to place some kind of strapping across the open shelves in the dining area to stop items falling out when driving.
Really annoying design when you tend to store maps & mags etc then they all come sliding out.
Must be some of you with a similar situation and would like to hear of your solutions. Have thought of strapping some webbing making eyelets and hooks.

Cheers:wub:

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hi - have purchased a new motorhome and looking at ideas to place some kind of strapping across the open shelves in the dining area to stop items falling out when driving.
Really annoying design when you tend to store maps & mags etc then they all come sliding out.
Must be some of you with a similar situation and would like to hear of your solutions. Have thought of strapping some webbing making eyelets and hooks.

Hi

At the moment we use those plastic baskets that you can buy seperately or in sets for the smaller items. Easy to keep tidy. To stop things falling out depending on design of the cupboards we use those adjustable tension poles like the ones you can hang nets on. We do have a few of those double ones we got at one of the shows. If the cuboards are those ones that have seperate doors but inside the cupboard is one long storage area then I have in the past used a piece of hardboard cut to right size and placed in front of the goods stored so that the hardboard stands on the floor of the cupboard & fits just up under the top edge. It can then slide sideways to access goods.

I have also used metal eyes and stretchty miniature elastics bungee type thingies.

Traveller

Mar 3, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 1995
Hi

I use small spring-loaded net curtain rods, both for open shelves and to retain larger items in overhead lockers.

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Shelf solution

:thumb: We had this problem in a Eura Mobil we had and we solved it thus. we cut some hardboard the exact size of the openings ,padded it with thin foam and then covered this with material that was a good contrast to the van upholstery.I then fitted magnets to the shelf edges and sewed the small metal plates to the infills so that when the infills were in place they were held by the magnets.I fixed a small contrasting knob to the fronts of the infills and hey presto job jobbed.The finished job looked very proffesional and we had no more problems with stuff falling off the shelves,I wish vans didn't have these shelves in the first place as they tend to be a glory hole for junk.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you could go the marine route and add fiddle rails, or a piece of netting with elasticated top (bungee cord)to keep the lie flat bits in. By the way loser in next weeks quiz sets the quiz the following week not the winner.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could go the marine route and add fiddle rails, or a piece of netting with elasticated top (bungee cord)to keep the lie flat bits in. By the way loser in next weeks quiz sets the quiz the following week not the winner.

how novel...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

remind me NOT to enter....:Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
too many people are afraid to win John a lot of people could do far better I think it would make it a fairer competition, I am competetive, I know I am but hate beng allowed to win, not much fun that. the fact is only half a dozen people keep winning because others don't want the hassle of setting the quiz if there really is such little interest, maybe it is time to call it a day. No one stays around to chat afterwards, why not?

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
We are hardly experts on this business of stuff slopping around in cupboards since we have only had 'Elsie' our MH for one week and only this weekend will take her for her first trip!
Howver, on a test drive, we found loads of stuff sliding around and I bought some thin rubber matting (used to stop rugs sliding on wooden floors) and cut it to fit all cupboards and shelves. So far so good - but will let you know after the weekend!

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
No sure on the layout of your vehicle, but I tend to use the stretch wire from net curtains as the hooks can be hidden at the top and bottom of the shelving and the wire cut to size.
I have on some shelving used plastic baskets that have small handles, I then drill a hole through the handle so that I can thread the wire through the handle first.

Unfortunatly the best system I find is to fill the shelves with so much junk that I cannot get the stuff out anyway. :Smile:

Colin

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008

If you don't want to make something yourself take a look at these

Van Comfort Tension Poles/Cupboard Keepers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back