She Shed Build Thread (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
The title has a certain ring to it I think.

So how did this all start…

Mrs Pops has got quite into crafting in the last couple of years, in particular, but not limited to, Card Making and Crochet. This has led to a certain amount of space being taken up by ‘Stuff’. When I say a certain amount of space, I mean LOTS of space!!

DSC00941.JPG

DSC00943.JPG

Now I normally work away from home but during lockdown I have needed to work mostly from home, and started to work from the dining room table, but found my work stuff being constantly moved to one side as the ever-expanding card making empire grew and grew. I then insisted that space be made for my laptop in what had once been my study but had become the crafting room, but just didn’t have room to move around so something had to give and Mrs Pops suggested I make her a little shed she could work in.

And so began the She Shed project….

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
When the kids left home we converted one of our bedrooms into a computer room, come study / man cave and craft room…….guess what’s taking over? 🤷‍♂️

I’ve still got just enough room to sit at my desk….does that give you a clue?:censored:

Sewing machine, card making, five draw cabinet full of material, two door cabinet full of glues, pencils, pens, punches……wool and fabrics piling up.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.;)

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Been there mate :LOL:, wife now owns her own house and i have been full-timing for 2 years:giggle:. just saying like, get the she shed built quick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
I started by finding a suitable place in the garden and cleared plants etc ready for a 12' by 10' shed.
First proper job was to dig out and concrete the footings. Rather than dig full footings which would involve skips and concrete lorries, I went for pile type footings. These are two foot deep by 1 foot square and I topped them with engineering bricks to level them.

DSC00930.JPG

On the foundations I laid a frame of 6" by 3" treated timber as the base.

DSC00935.JPG

On the base I made a double floor using OSB sheets with a 3" by 2" frame which was then infilled with 3" foil backed insulation. Can't have Mrs Pops getting cold toes can we ;)

DSC00936.JPG
DSC00937.JPG

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Windows and Doors

Keeping to the theme of keeping Mrs Pops warm I managed to find second hand UPVC windows and patio doors. This has the added benefit of keeping the noise of her music in the shed instead of annoying the neighbors :lipssealed:

DSC00949.JPG

First fix wiring installed, and then the interior was lined with the same 3" foil backed insulation.

DSC00956.JPG

Over the insulation I put 12 mm plasterboard and sealed all the joints with decorators caulk as I intended to paint directly onto the plasterboard. Its only a shed after all :happy:

DSC00958.JPG
DSC00959.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00953.JPG
    DSC00953.JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Cladding

The outside of the frame is now clad in 9 mm ship lap. As a present to myself for building the shed I treated myself to second hand first and second fix nail guns from fleabay, and a nice shiny new sliding compound mitre saw and frame. Both of these saved me a huge amount of time in cutting all the wood and fitting it (y)
Finally, I treated the roof to a covering of the best roofing felt I could buy. It has a 10 year guarantee and better last that long as it was a right pain getting up there to put it on!!

DSC00955.JPG

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
The interior

Bit of a paint job straight onto the plasterboard which came out better than I expected.
I took a feed from a spare fuse in the house consumer unit to the shed and wired this into its own small consumer unit, taking 5 double sockets and the lighting from it.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Added an electric radiator because... yes you guessed it, Mrs Pops likes to be kept warm ;)

Hard wearing flooring to cover the OSB and stop Mrs Pops getting splinters in her nice warm toes :LOL:

I then made a bench from some old scaffold boards which I sanded down and treated with Danish Oil. This a full length bench by special request as apparently she has so much 'Stuff' to put on it.

3.jpg

2.jpg

And the finished article

1.jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Cladding

The outside of the frame is now clad in 9 mm ship lap. As a present to myself for building the shed I treated myself to second hand first and second fix nail guns from fleabay, and a nice shiny new sliding compound mitre saw and frame. Both of these saved me a huge amount of time in cutting all the wood and fitting it (y)
Finally, I treated the roof to a covering of the best roofing felt I could buy. It has a 10 year guarantee and better last that long as it was a right pain getting up there to put it on!!

View attachment 492338
Looks lovely , are you sure you don’t just want to claim it as your home office allowing Mrs Pops to extend her craft space into further zones within the house stay where she is ?

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Good job, looks ace.(y).

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Picture taken today and looking very cosy. And guess what.... Mrs Pops has managed to fill it :ROFLMAO:

But on the plus side I've got my study back, just in time for returning to work at the Office :sneaky:

7.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 39

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Picture taken today and looking very cosy. And guess what.... Mrs Pops has managed to fill it :ROFLMAO:

But on the plus side I've got my study back, just in time for returning to work at the Office :sneaky:

View attachment 492353
That's a cracking job, well done. I'd have to paint the board the consumer unit is mounted on to match the wall, it would bug me every time I walked in, but that's just me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's a cracking job, well done. I'd have to paint the board the consumer unit is mounted on to match the wall, it would bug me every time I walked in, but that's just me.
... and the trunking too ... brilliant job though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bit of a paint job straight onto the plasterboard which came out better than I expected.
Interesting, I was wondering about doing just that as one of the rooms in our workshop/annexe/pseudo granny flat :giggle: hasn't been plastered (it was like that when we moved here in 1993 :RollEyes: ) so I want to sort it at some point especially now that garden rooms/home office/gyms etc are so popular so that when we do come to try to sell again it'll be an added bonus. I had considered panelling it but seeing the finish you've got I might go down the same route.

Other than caulking did you have to do any other preparation for painting it?

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
Interesting, I was wondering about doing just that as one of the rooms in our workshop/annexe/pseudo granny flat :giggle: hasn't been plastered (it was like that when we moved here in 1993 :RollEyes: ) so I want to sort it at some point especially now that garden rooms/home office/gyms etc are so popular so that when we do come to try to sell again it'll be an added bonus. I had considered panelling it but seeing the finish you've got I might go down the same route.

Other than caulking did you have to do any other preparation for painting it?

apart from the caulking I just applied a watered down coat of PVA to seal the plasterboard then two coats of paint.

OP
OP
Pops 1
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
... and the trunking too ... brilliant job though!
Like I say to Mrs Pops when she spots something she thinks I didn’t get quite right. ‘It’s a shed’ :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back