Sharing ideas to make life easier. (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Just a few ideas which makes life easier for us in the van.
We carry a portaloo which we store in the toilet compartment and when Sue needs the loo I transfer her from the passenger seat straight to the portaloo and I put it between our beds in case it's needed in the night.
I bought a douche spray which attaches to the shower which helps clean her up. We have a double handled mug in the van together with a tray and non-slip mat and a plate guard.
Because she has good body upper strength we have a transfer aid a bit like a sack barrow which she stands on and I can rotate her on to the wheel chair.
Sue having a catheter makes life massively easier for us both and is so easy to empty. Having a pill dispenser filled for as long as we go away is handy and we have an electric tooth brush.
I've mentioned frozen meals on another forum, and they are so handy for me after a long drive just to get out of the freezer and reheat. We only eat our own food.
We carry the 2 electric scooters in the trailer and if we leave the TGA Breeze behind I put the Apex Rapid on the bike rack and we zoom off still with the wheel chair in the van. BTW the Apex Rapid is the only 4 mph scooter which has full suspension and you can find them on eBay very cheaply compared to the £600ish price new.
That's enough of me, I would welcome any tips, ideas, encouragement for what is a wonderful but tiring holiday. Thanks for reading and sorry if some of these subjects are a bit personal, they are every day facts for us.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Foxy,

I can only admire your willingness to discuss your tips and suggestions on the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about disclosing your 'personal' habits on here. There are enough poo and dunny threads already posted to the delight of all that yours just blends in.
It's a fact of life that we all have to perform those tasks and as one who has had a catheter inserted (and removed) by a member of the opposite sex I have no problem with reading that someone else on here has to put up with it. (Even if you can say, "Look No Hands.!!!)

You carry on enjoying this wonderful way of life and more power to both your elbows.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Foxy some great ideas which help make your Traveling life easier. It's wonderful to think Sues restricted lifestyle has not stopped you from enjoying the MH lifestyle .
We do use a lot of the non slip matting which we find useful in cupboards on the table trays etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Good to hear you can still enjoy yourselves, I think motorhoming is all about helping yourselves , but you will also find many funsters that will be willing to help with almost anything so don't be afraid to ask if the occasion arises(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's a fact of life that we all have to perform those tasks and as one who has had a catheter inserted (and removed) by a member of the opposite sex I have no problem with reading that someone else on here has to put up with it.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ha Ha. Been there - well, removed, anyway. It was inserted while I was still under general anaesthetic a fortnight earlier. Two nurses involved, one of whom was an extremely attractive student nurse. Doesn't matter how old you are, you're still 21 in your head! :whistle: As the operation had been to remove my prostate, at least at that early stage there was zero chance of any visible manifestation of what was going through my head!

In all seriousness though, a willingness to talk about potentially embarrassing issues not only helps by passing on information that will easy the daily lives of others; it can save lives by encouraging people to seek help rather than ignoring symptoms because they can't face discussing them.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a great positive post about motorhoming :clap2: there are so many aspects of it that people struggle along with on their own, thank you for shareing.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ha Ha. Been there - well, removed, anyway. It was inserted while I was still under general anaesthetic a fortnight earlier. Two nurses involved, one of whom was an extremely attractive student nurse. Doesn't matter how old you are, you're still 21 in your head! :whistle: As the operation had been to remove my prostate, at least at that early stage there was zero chance of any visible manifestation of what was going through my head!

In all seriousness though, a willingness to talk about potentially embarrassing issues not only helps by passing on information that will easy the daily lives of others; it can save lives by encouraging people to seek help rather than ignoring symptoms because they can't face discussing them.
We've just got back from Walcott, north Norfolk. It's all of 10 miles drive, we sit and read and watch the sea, had a fry up for lunch and then home to the wood burner. Lovely life.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just reviving this thread to see if anyone is travelling with a companion with Parkinson's? Would be nice yo share tips.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Just reviving this thread to see if anyone is travelling with a companion with Parkinson's? Would be nice yo share tips.[/QUOTE
Just reviving this thread to see if anyone is travelling with a companion with Parkinson's? Would be nice yo share tips.
MS and Parkinsons disease are both autoimmune condition. We have switched diets to the paleo or caveman lifestyle and over the last 2 years we have seen a dramatic improvement in Sue's brain health. Two years ago I was going to sell the van and either place Sue in a home or get full time carers in. Now she has energy and has just raised £1200 by a sponsored walk for MS research. There is definitely life after MS and other autoimmune diseases. Good luck and best wishes. Martyn.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Had heard the Paleo diet was beneficial for MS suffers. Wishing you both all the best.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
He is eating predominantly vegan food which helps hugely with his sluggish digestion. He doesnt do well on meat.

Viv Danks

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2017
Portskewett
Funster No
MH
Escape 684 & T6.1
Exp
Campervan since 2015 onwards - MH 2017-21
Just a point on scooters - we use a Tzora Titan - this scooter provides a 8mph good off-road capability and can be broken down for easy storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back