Shall I, Shan't I? Third time lucky? Trip to Norway from Spain (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last night at the Aire we were entertained by a group of people arriving with various musical instruments. We were next to what looked like a community hall and people were arriving in their droves.

9.15ish the music started with loud drumming. I could then here a rendition of the theme for "Scots Porridge Oats".

A crowd stood outside smoking!!! to be joined with the brass section warming up. We turned in at 11.00 pm and a faint sound of brass music could be heard in the background.

I heard nothing more then until I woke this morning. Martin said a knobhead drove past in the early hours, blowing his horn, but that didn't wake me.

It was full but warm as we left this morning to go to ride around Lac du Salaugu but it was raining when we got there. We moved on towards Millau,where there's a via Ferrata, but it was too early to stop and sit and wait to see if the weather was going to improve.

The bridge is in the murk somewhere!

IMG_20190615_125216.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We continued through Millau, giving up on the via Ferrata this time, cos we knew there was another further along our route at the village of Canourgue which has a 50 place Aire (N 44 26 0.23. E 3 12 42.2). How handy!!!

We drove through light mizzle. We saw some foam at the side of the road in the last 2km!! Strange! It wasn't foam, it was hail. How lucky are we to have missed it.

Just outside the Aire entrance.

IMG_20190615_135800.jpg

And inside! It's now steaming but the hailstones are so big they are taking some time to melt.

IMG_20190615_134744.jpg

Martin is preparing to go outside to cook!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We continued through Millau, giving up on the via Ferrata this time, cos we knew there was another further along our route at the village of Canourgue which has a 50 place Aire (N 44 26 0.23. E 3 12 42.2). How handy!!!

We drove through light mizzle. We saw some foam at the side of the road in the last 2km!! Strange! It wasn't foam, it was hail. How lucky are we to have missed it.

Just outside the Aire entrance.

View attachment 310696

And inside! It's now steaming but the hailstones are so big they are taking some time to melt.

View attachment 310697

Martin is preparing to go outside to cook!!!
That’s proper weather that is
Pics of Martin cooking outside would be good

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That’s proper weather that is
Pics of Martin cooking outside would be good

Too late, cooked ... and eaten!

All the motorhomers here for the "happening" have been up ladders and checking out their roofs AND the poor gardeners have been looking woefully at their destroyed plants.

We feel luck is on our side this trip ...

HOPEFULLY (in PPP colour)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just partaken of a warm walk around the village looking for the way to the via Ferrata for tomorrow. Failed on that, at the moment. Mr Google is, hopefully, going to be our friend!

The hail has brought down so many leaves that it feels like autumn.

IMG_20190615_174346.jpg

And the village seems to be built on, and over water!!!

IMG_20190615_180714.jpg

And I always feel I'd love to know the history behind a village and it's old buildings.

IMG_20190615_180305.jpg

IMG_20190615_180636.jpg

And ... what was behind the red door ... originally?

IMG_20190615_180107.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've just partaken of a warm walk around the village looking for the way to the via Ferrata for tomorrow. Failed on that, at the moment. Mr Google is, hopefully, going to be our friend!

The hail has brought down so many leaves that it feels like autumn.

View attachment 310777

And the village seems to be built on, and over water!!!

View attachment 310778

And I always feel I'd love to know the history behind a village and it's old buildings.

View attachment 310780

View attachment 310781

And ... what was behind the red door ... originally?

View attachment 310779
Love a good door and window

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Called in at Mende to get some information on biking and the local via Ferrata. We parked on the Aire next to the river and walked to the Tourist office. It's too busy for us here, but in the hills behind Mende is an airfield with a "pay" Aire.

We're here now.

We arrived this morning and eventually managed to get through the barrier. Our problem was that Martin had registered online but not asked for a card so when we put in the details here it said we'd already done so ...

Eventually, a card dropped down and we got in. When we leave we'll see how much it's cost us.

We got the bikes out and had a short, very lovely, mountain bike ride.

IMG_20190617_142900.jpg

IMG_20190617_142633.jpg

IMG_20190617_143242.jpg

IMG_20190617_143305.jpg

Screenshot_2019-06-17-14-24-33-869_com.miui.gallery.png

Wanting to preserve Martin's knee we came back to the Aire and all afternoon we've been entertained by small planes doing their stuff.

It's a bit worrying (as now!) when it all goes quiet directly over us, but great to watch them looping and diving!!!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Copied from my morning thread post, but put on here for information.

We're not the only ones to have trouble getting in here. A motorhome has been stuck in the entrance for about 30 minutes so far! He's being helped by the one behind him ... not such good help though.

We can't go to help 'cos we got in by good luck rather than knowledge!

Edit

I've just been to try to help but their card is incommunidu (or something) call this number ...

A French guy is now trying ... and failing ... maybe he'll call the number for them both.

We're a bit worried we won't get out tomorrow!

Edit edit.

The French guy has called the number but he doesn't speak English to tell the Danish guy. We speak English but not French ... and the French guy still cant get himself in.

All good fun, I think ...

They've both decided to park outside.

Last edit

They're both in ... result ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Copied from my morning thread post, but put on here for information.

We're not the only ones to have trouble getting in here. A motorhome has been stuck in the entrance for about 30 minutes so far! He's being helped by the one behind him ... not such good help though.

We can't go to help 'cos we got in by good luck rather than knowledge!

Edit

I've just been to try to help but their card is incommunidu (or something) call this number ...

A French guy is now trying ... and failing ... maybe he'll call the number for them both.

We're a bit worried we won't get out tomorrow!

Edit edit.

The French guy has called the number but he doesn't speak English to tell the Danish guy. We speak English but not French ... and the French guy still cant get himself in.

All good fun, I think ...

They've both decided to park outside.

Last edit

They're both in ... result ...
I take it you are on a Camping Carparks Aire.
For some strange reason the French either take 20 min to get in or give up, we never have any problems with them.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I take it you are on a Camping Carparks Aire.
For some strange reason the French either take 20 min to get in or give up, we never have any problems with them.

You got it in one.

Camping Carpark. Our first one. Now we've got the card we expect :LOL: it to be easier.

The poor Danish, heckled by the French behind, couldn't get in. They bought the card but it wouldn't operate the barrier. They had to call a number displayed, but they don't speak French and the French guy, who himself subsequently couldn't get in, could call the number but didn't speak Danish!! or English to explain.

However, we are all now INSIDE the barrier and wondering who the plucky one will be to try to get out first.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Don’t forget to transfer sufficient funds into your CCP account to pay for your stay before you try to leave.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You got it in one.

Camping Carpark. Our first one. Now we've got the card we expect :LOL: it to be easier.

The poor Danish, heckled by the French behind, couldn't get in. They bought the card but it wouldn't operate the barrier. They had to call a number displayed, but they don't speak French and the French guy, who himself subsequently couldn't get in, could call the number but didn't speak Danish!! or English to explain.

However, we are all now INSIDE the barrier and wondering who the plucky one will be to try to get out first.
I don't think you can get in unless you have enough credit on the card for one night. I expect he bought the card but didn't top it up.

We don't use them very often paying that much for a night goes against the grain of a FLT.:LOL:
I keep my card at zero balance and just put enough on for one night then top it when we leave with the exact amount we need.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We easily escaped the CamperCarpark "compound" and drove the minor road to the parking for the via ferrata and the walk to the "Dead Village of Chaumoette" which we passed on the way to the ferrata start.

I can't easily find information about this village but it appears to have been a reservoir (and its workers maybe). In 1852 there were 26 inhabitants but in 1904 only one family. Sometime subsequently, it was abandoned. Makes you wonder why it was so important to build it in the first place.

IMG_20190618_100854.jpg
IMG_20190618_100858.jpg

And today ...

IMG_20190618_151737.jpg

IMG_20190618_100913.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had read about the grade for the Via Ferrata and I'd already said that I wasn't up for doing the difficult bits. Ten years ago (and when we were climbing fit also) I'd have been totally miffed at not doing all the "hard stuff". However, I stuck to my guns and did the "easy :unsure:" bits whilst Martin did the "difficult" ones.

We met up at various points when the two became one, once again.

The first "difficult" section Martin said I could do. So I did. My main problem was reaching the handholds and stretching my short legs for the footholds.

IMG_20190618_151602.jpg

IMG_20190618_151517.jpg

(Many years ago, when we were climbing in the Costa Blanca, I always knew I'd struggle with routes that a certain German climber had equipped. He was a whole lot taller than me)!

Anyway, I did manage. But it brought home to me that.

1. I wasn't young, any more, and ...

2. I wasn't climbing fit ...

AND maybe

3. I should be up there at all ... (Not an option ... yet)

Sooo the next time there was an option I took the easy route.

AND ... I didn't do the zip wire(s) again...

Out and back and then a tough (difficult grade) back up.

IMG_20190618_113959.jpg

IMG_20190618_114420.jpg

IMG_20190618_151059.jpg

Wasn't he happy when he got here?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now on another Campercarpark Aire on the lake of Nausac. We've got in, no problem. Let's hope we can leave as easily tomorrow.

We've had beer (Martin) and Rosado (me) with peanuts and scratchings! Taken a shower and then, cos we couldn't find the energy to cook, we've had a platter of cheese and chorizo, teamed with a goats cheese salad and a glass of red each.

IMG_20190618_145208.jpg

IMG_20190618_162226.jpg

IMG_20190618_162241.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're now on another Campercarpark Aire on the lake of Nausac. We've got in, no problem. Let's hope we can leave as easily tomorrow.

We've had beer (Martin) and Rosado (me) with peanuts and scratchings! Taken a shower and then, cos we couldn't find the energy to cook, we've had a platter of cheese and chorizo, teamed with a goats cheese salad and a glass of red each.

View attachment 311591

View attachment 311592

View attachment 311593
You both deserve a second glass of red - at least! :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We had read about the grade for the Via Ferrata and I'd already said that I wasn't up for doing the difficult bits. Ten years ago (and when we were climbing fit also) I'd have been totally miffed at not doing all the "hard stuff". However, I stuck to my guns and did the "easy :unsure:" bits whilst Martin did the "difficult" ones.

We met up at various points when the two became one, once again.

The first "difficult" section Martin said I could do. So I did. My main problem was reaching the handholds and stretching my short legs for the footholds.

View attachment 311580

View attachment 311581

(Many years ago, when we were climbing in the Costa Blanca, I always knew I'd struggle with routes that a certain German climber had equipped. He was a whole lot taller than me)!

Anyway, I did manage. But it brought home to me that.

1. I wasn't young, any more, and ...

2. I wasn't climbing fit ...

AND maybe

3. I should be up there at all ... (Not an option ... yet)

Sooo the next time there was an option I took the easy route.

AND ... I didn't do the zip wire(s) again...

Out and back and then a tough (difficult grade) back up.

View attachment 311585

View attachment 311586

View attachment 311587

Wasn't he happy when he got here?
I'm jealous looks great unfortunately climbing we never something we have never done, well done you two.
Have been showing your pics to my daughter her & hubby do climbing but they have an 18 month old baby at the moment., she did say she could put the toddler in a backpack. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back