Sewing machines, where to start..... (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Seems 3 out of our 4 daughters quite like sewing and basically anything crafty, these 3 are between 12 - 15 yrs old. It came to my mind about buying them a sewing machine for Christmas, secretly i've always wanted one and as Mrs Ridgeway is dangerous with a sewing needle so it's always me that ends up with the hand sewing tasks, although i'll admit that most of my repairs do look like a cross between The Great British Sewing Bee meets Nazi Megastructures (that famous National Geographic documentary program)..... My mum was a dress maker and i watched her effortlessly sew hems on skirts, turn up trousers, shorten shirt sleeves but something tells me that using a sewing machine requires some skill:unsure:

So if i wanted to choose a not too expensive sewing machine for 3 girls that enjoy hand sewing and maybe that i'll attack some curtains with (one day) what should i be looking for, things that are a must have and things to avoid sort of thing ? I see machines from £50 all the way up to £500 and have no clue as to the difference.....

Budget would be around £100-125 if that's at all possible.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Seems 3 out of our 4 daughters quite like sewing and basically anything crafty, these 3 are between 12 - 15 yrs old. It came to my mind about buying them a sewing machine for Christmas, secretly i've always wanted one and as Mrs Ridgeway is dangerous with a sewing needle so it's always me that ends up with the hand sewing tasks, although i'll admit that most of my repairs do look like a cross between The Great British Sewing Bee meets Nazi Megastructures (that famous National Geographic documentary program)..... My mum was a dress maker and i watched her effortlessly sew hems on skirts, turn up trousers, shorten shirt sleeves but something tells me that using a sewing machine requires some skill:unsure:

So if i wanted to choose a not too expensive sewing machine for 3 girls that enjoy hand sewing and maybe that i'll attack some curtains with (one day) what should i be looking for, things that are a must have and things to avoid sort of thing ? I see machines from £50 all the way up to £500 and have no clue as to the difference.....

Budget would be around £100-125 if that's at all possible.
LIdl has been offering a simple Singer machine for some time no for £99. Worth checking to see if any are available. I. Bought Jan a Husqvarna Viking computerised one some years ago. She prefers the Singers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I inherited my mother's 1960's Pfaff, not one single piece of plastic on it. It does all sorts of fancy stitches and embroidery by mechanical means !

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
About 10 years ago I bought a Toyota fir under £100
I’m quite a keen sewer and this machine while basic has enough extras to learn on and just goes on and on

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a sewing machine off eBay fir my daughter in law last year to “try”
Excellent value

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for Janome probably the best of the mid priced ones.
We have a fairly expensive one that does loads of fancy stitches that we never use.
Sewing Bee use Janome machines surprisingly only the basic ones shows you don't need all the fancy bits.

Sewing machines are very easy to use must be, even I can use one.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sewing Bee use Janome machines surprisingly only the basic ones shows you don't need all the fancy bits.
Quite right.
My sewing machine feature on the last series of Sewing Bee - vintage week!
I was surprised how many of the sewers found it difficult to go back so the modern ones must have some redeeming features.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Minefield. Wife has two Singers and a Janome. Also a Brother overlocker, whatever that is!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for Janome probably the best of the mid priced ones.
We have a fairly expensive one that does loads of fancy stitches that we never use.

Sewing machines are very easy to use must be, even I can use one.

If Lenny can do it..... :LOL:

Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have a old singer its most be at least 60 years old we do so-much with it from alterations to jays school uniforms to upholstery it will be doing the upholstery on the new to us boat.
many of the old swing machens never done any work many were bought as a fad and never actually used
one tip look inside and if there is not much fluff it has had not much use
3 in one oil and away you go
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back