Sewing and machine quilting as a hobby. (1 Viewer)

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
I think a lot of crafts are coming back. i have just learnt how to do tatting and crochet. Going on a bread making course on saturday, this early retirement lark is just so much fun. I said in my earlier post the sewing machine came out to do a curtain, well am now off to make some baby neckerchiefs for my dribbly grandson. Love this post from crafty motorhomers. :Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks .. our local quilt shop has a display by local ladies, the only problem is I get disheartened when I admire the beautiful work .. some of it truly amazing.. the shop owner asked if I were buying material for my wife and was a little more than surprised when I said no.. it was for me... don't often here of men who enjoy sewing she replied.. :roflmto:

.. but I love it,

While fulltime in the RV I took along a 3/4 sized Singer to do repairs .. there are so many little jobs that can be done around a motorhome.. curtains, upholstery, blinds, awnings, wind breaks etc .. not to mention repairs and alterations to clothes..

Your quilt looks super, don't get disheartened like I did a few years back.

I joined a local Patchwork group but still had the children at home then so didn't have too much time to spend on quilt "homework", imagine how disheartened I felt when I went back to the class on subsequent weeks to find that all the elderly ladies had completed single quilts overnight and I had done nothing:whatthe:

I have collected a brilliant stash of "fat quarters" over the years, so when I give up the ceramics business I will be ready to make a start on machine quilting:thumb: Have also bought a few walll-hanging kits, mini quilt kits and books, it's a fantastic hobby and it makes you feel so proud after you have completed items. So keep up the good work.
Margaret::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks Karl .. I have a nice miniature Singer that sews beautifully, ideal for you!

DSC_7927.JPG

or if you want a proper sized sewing machine look out for a Singer 221k or 222k, 1/2 size and very light, cast from aluminium ..

DSC_7765.JPG

My Mum bought a Singer that look very like the one above, I snaffled it, had it for years then Mum and Dad asked for it back, why I don't know why, my Mum had never used one before. But I suspect they've sold it on by now, I still have the manual somewhere:RollEyes:

I see the top one was made in the States, I think mine might have come from the Clydebank factory, but not sure:RollEyes:

It's so nice to see all these old machines:thumb:
Margaret

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My Mum bought a Singer that look very like the one above, I snaffled it, had it for years then Mum and Dad asked for it back, why I don't know why, my Mum had never used one before. But I suspect they've sold it on by now, I still have the manual somewhere:RollEyes:

I see the top one was made in the States, I think mine might have come from the Clydebank factory, but not sure:RollEyes:

It's so nice to see all these old machines:thumb:
Margaret

Thanks Margaret .. from what I've researched, the 'toy' Singers (that's the top one) is a Model 20, and were actually manufactured in Turkey .. not the USA as the decal would have us believe, this one was made circa 1926. in lovely condition and sews a chain stitch

The second one is a 222k and are highly sought after, in good condition with all accessories expect to pay £250 - £300
this one is in pristine condition.

In it's day, The Singer factory in Clydebank was the largest in the world.. machines made there have the suffice 'K' on the serial number ... K stands for 'Kilbowie' , that's the road where the factory was...

other suffix letters and countries...

A - Anderson, SC, USA
AP - Nigeria
B - France
BE - Morocco
BG - Thailand
C -Brazil
CH - Chile
CY - Ceylon
E - Elizabethport, NJ, USA
F - Philippines
G - Germany
GH - Ghana
H - Pakistan
HC - Pakistan
J - Canada
K - Scotland
L - Colombia
LM - Congo
M - Italy
ML - Malaysia
N - Taiwan
P - Australia
PR - Peru
Q - South Africa
R - Mexico
T - India
TN - Tunisia
U - Japan
V - Argentina
VN - South Vietnam
W - Bridgeport, CT, USA
Y - Turkey
Z - France

Singer has a fascinating history , plenty on the web,

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks Margaret .. from what I've researched, the 'toy' Singers (that's the top one) is a Model 20, and were actually manufactured in Turkey .. not the USA as the decal would have us believe, this one was made circa 1926. in lovely condition and sews a chain stitch

The second one is a 222k and are highly sought after, in good condition with all accessories expect to pay £250 - £300
this one is in pristine condition.

In it's day, The Singer factory in Clydebank was the largest in the world.. machines made there have the suffice 'K' on the serial number ... K stands for 'Kilbowie' , that's the road where the factory was...

other suffix letters and countries...

A - Anderson, SC, USA
AP - Nigeria
B - France
BE - Morocco
BG - Thailand
C -Brazil
CH - Chile
CY - Ceylon
E - Elizabethport, NJ, USA
F - Philippines
G - Germany
GH - Ghana
H - Pakistan
HC - Pakistan
J - Canada
K - Scotland
L - Colombia
LM - Congo
M - Italy
ML - Malaysia
N - Taiwan
P - Australia
PR - Peru
Q - South Africa
R - Mexico
T - India
TN - Tunisia
U - Japan
V - Argentina
VN - South Vietnam
W - Bridgeport, CT, USA
Y - Turkey
Z - France

Singer has a fascinating history , plenty on the web,

Thanks for this Jim, I didn't realise they were made all over the world, was there a 221K?

I'm sure ours had a K on the end of the model number, I must have a look for the manual, it's buried away somewhere:RollEyes:
Margaret

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for this Jim, I didn't realise they were made all over the world, was there a 221K?

I'm sure ours had a K on the end of the model number, I must have a look for the manual, it's buried away somewhere:RollEyes:
Margaret

Yes, the 221K is almost identical to the 222k except that it doesn't have the free arm table and drop feed dogs, but still an excellent machine..

This is my 221K, made in 1953

DSC_7769.JPG

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Ah ha! I'm sure it was the 221K, it went from East Kilbride to Largs, then down to Surrey, then on to outside Portsmouth. I must ask my Mum if she still has it, I never could quite get the hang of threading it up properly......:Doh:

The one I've got just now is a New Home, but not as solid as the Singers.
Margaret

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah ha! I'm sure it was the 221K, it went from East Kilbride to Largs, then down to Surrey, then on to outside Portsmouth. I must ask my Mum if she still has it, I never could quite get the hang of threading it up properly......:Doh:

The one I've got just now is a New Home, but not as solid as the Singers.
Margaret

Hope you get it back... and if you do, here is a good threading guide .. :thumb:

Link Removed

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got my grandma wooden mushroom too! My mum used to try and show me how to tat (like crocheting but with a metal bobbin thingy) but never could grasp the method. I think it was a way of making fine lacy doilies?

If find it interesting that I seem to be the only one of my daughters friends mothers who has any practical knowledge of these things. Mind you most of them are 10 yrs are more younger so I suppose they grew up in the disposable age!

I can remember having clothes made out of my Mums old dresses when I was younger. She made all the duvets, duvet covers and pillow cases for our beds. I still have some and they must be 20 yr old but made so well that they're still going strong. As you can tell I'm not one for changing things just on a whim. If it's still good enough to use I keep on using it!!!! Yorkshire stinginess perhaps?

I also have my grandma's book that she used to keep a record of what clothing repairs/ alteration that she used to do for people at home. 3s 6d to make a dress etc.

I also had to learn to tat. We lived with sanctions and could hardly get anything including lace and undies. It did serve to make us very resourceful though and I used to tat deep lace to put round petticoats,also did collars and cuffs.It took weeks though. I haven't the patience or time for it now but may dig out the old bobbin and see if it comes back. I've just finished a large crocheted blanket that my daughter's boyfriend wants for his bed at uni-not sure what it'll do for his street cred but he seems thrilled with it. Have a painting to finish before I start on anything else but I always need something on the go.It's so satisfying and of late my daughter has started switching off the computer and asking me to teach her how to make odds and sods. I think she may be catching the bug.:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There was always a sewing machine in our house when I was very young. For years my mum did piece-work and sewed just the thumbs onto leather gloves, this was the last bit so she packed them into boxes too. I remember counting them so we knew how much money we would get, but I cannot remember how much she got per thumb. At the time we lived in Woodstock and this place was once very famous for its glove industry.

I remember when we left Woodstock she never touched a sewing machine again for years, hated it. Though many years later, when I lost the tops of a couple of digits and half a thumb, she got the machine out and expertly tailored some leather skydiving gloves for me and she had not lost the skills.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back