Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our experience of sites (in the UK, not been abroad) has been that they will often have a ground level manhole cover (for sewage), either in the road so you can drive over, or just to the side of the road, which they are happy to lift for you to empty.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Macerators can and do break down at the most inconvenient time.. Try stripping one down when it is still connected and full of the brown stuff.. been there several times.. they don't like hair.. it binds round the shaft of the pump and eventually stalls it.. also.. to be of much use you need to carry at least 50mts of 1" discharge hose.. which needs to be cleaned and stored after use..
The hair was an issue for us with the RV but we used a double fine filter on the shower drain and that all but eliminates the problem, of course that has been fine tuned on the Flair shower. Also I carry a set of long nose surgical clamp things and before packing the macerator away (of course its been flushed through with grey) I use them to remove any hair around the shaft, it is a simple task and keeps the pump running smoothly.
Having said that the RV was a beast to get on any service point in fact impossible except for drive through's but the Flair is simple and with a 170 litre tank I only have to find a 1 in 10 days chance, much better than the odds of 1 in 2 days for a cassette, but then I suppose its a social opportunity for many, "just popping up the Chemical dump love for a chat with the lads"

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Had the RV, with the macerator and the waste hog.. and no matter what anyone says.. for the UK and abroad.. the cassette toilet is far easier.. camp sites both here and abroad are by and large not geared up for dumping RV black tanks..

Macerators can and do break down at the most inconvenient time.. Try stripping one down when it is still connected and full of the brown stuff.. been there several times.. they don't like hair.. it binds round the shaft of the pump and eventually stalls it.. hair comes from the grey water used to flush it out.. also.. to be of much use you need to carry at least 50mts of 1" discharge hose.. which needs to be cleaned and stored after use..

Waste hogs.. great fun.. don't buy a big one.. 1 gal of poo weights 10lbs.. a 12 gal hog full of crap weighs in at 120lbs .. try lifting that up to an Elsan point.. or even into a French bourne that is a foot off the ground.. and do this while being watched by half a dozen French campers... all good fun... not.

No matter how big the black tank.. it eventually needs emptying.. and the bigger the tank.. the bigger the job

@Cat53 Personally, I'd look into changing your black tank for a Cassette toilet.. it's far easier than humping shit in a hog or pumping by macerator..
The voice of experience, never had one but SJ has just convinced me to never get one, @sallylillian (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For me the convenience of the big black tank beats the cassette every time Especially when you can't empty every day or have better things to do. If I can't find a ground level gravity dump I'll just peel a few manageable gallons at time into my small tote, then doing exactly what those with cassettes do; carry it and dump it. , but If full I'll do it early morning10 times and empty, rather than once every morning, for me that's better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone. Much to think about. I think a small tote is possibly the way to go. I appreciate all your advice......even @Tootles! :Eeek:

Reactions: Jim
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Had an RV now for over ten years, in all that time I have used the tote tank once, the macerator more but most times you can dump on site somewhere. Our RV has a double floor so the tanks are quite high up so elsan dumps are usually OK.

I have used both systems and prefer a fixed tank.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Also I carry a set of long nose surgical clamp things and before packing the macerator away (of course its been flushed through with grey) I use them to remove any hair around the shaft, it is a simple task and keeps the pump running smoothly.
Didn't realise it was that much fun, you convinced me I want one now

Deleted User
When we got our 5'er it came with an 18 gal 'Tote', what a waste of time that was. I had an old caravan water rollalong thing and bought an adaptor and short pipe for the 3 ins outlet and used that until we parked the 5'er up on a permanent pitch. The rolltank was much more convenient when touring, it fitted into the bed of the pickup, I have now resurrected the 'tote' as the site we are on has ground level dump points.

I also have a macerator but the dump point is too far away, for most average motorhomes the cassette has to be the most convenient, lots of storage space needed for a tote.

Last edited by a moderator:

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
When I had my Hymer S820 with a fixed black tank, I imported one of these from the US. Ideal if you don't want to decamp to empty.
Barker.jpg

Still have it , (little used) if anyone is interested.

Andrew

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As per @Larrynwin we use a fiamma tote,
www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-roll-tank-40-litre-grey-waste-tank.html
We can last about 7-9 days then it's three trips to the disposal point. Or you can leave it connected and empty daily if you so wish, wouldn't be so heavy then.
The downside to emptying the onboard tank when full is opening the valve and
closing it before the tote overflows. Got it down to a fine art now but you got to be quick.
Because we stay in one place for longer I prefer the tote rather than moving the van to the drop point. If tote full it can be heavy as said before to lift to the drop zone, because I'm still a spritly youngster I can lift it but others may find it hard to do.

Shawn.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use one of those Shawn. But I use a trick I learned from Eddie Vanbits. I use a very short dump hose but on the end, well about 4 inches from the end I have fitted a so That means I can cut of the flow exactly and control the fill precisely, no splashes.

That way if i know the dump point needs a lift I will only half fill it.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Had the RV, with the macerator and the waste hog.. and no matter what anyone says.. for the UK and abroad.. the cassette toilet is far easier.. camp sites both here and abroad are by and large not geared up for dumping RV black tanks..

Macerators can and do break down at the most inconvenient time.. Try stripping one down when it is still connected and full of the brown stuff.. been there several times.. they don't like hair.. it binds round the shaft of the pump and eventually stalls it.. hair comes from the grey water used to flush it out.. also.. to be of much use you need to carry at least 50mts of 1" discharge hose.. which needs to be cleaned and stored after use..

Waste hogs.. great fun.. don't buy a big one.. 1 gal of poo weights 10lbs.. a 12 gal hog full of crap weighs in at 120lbs .. try lifting that up to an Elsan point.. or even into a French bourne that is a foot off the ground.. and do this while being watched by half a dozen French campers... all good fun... not.

No matter how big the black tank.. it eventually needs emptying.. and the bigger the tank.. the bigger the job

@Cat53 Personally, I'd look into changing your black tank for a Cassette toilet.. it's far easier than humping shit in a hog or pumping by macerator..

But then you miss out on the fun like Bob Munro ( Robin Williams ) had

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But then you miss out on the fun like Bob Munro ( Robin Williams ) had

A man sadly missed. the film was`nt that much of a success BUT I can still "wet myself" laughing at the antics. AND you know that whilst exaggerated, It HAS happened, somewhere!.
Any Motor-homer who has not seen it should try it.
Pete

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
@Cat53

Hello all,

The odd Funsters here may remember we bought a Winnebago in March.

We too have a black and a grey tank, although ours have separate hose connectors.

After much internet research, I have confirmed both The Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravan Club have Motorhome Waste Disposal - Motorhome Service Points respectively.

So I booked tonight at The Caravan Club Black Knowl site New Forest, which is six miles from my home, to try their Motorhome Waste Disposal system.

Their ground level sewer cover has a large ring to help with access and my carer confirms it is light enough for any adult, male or female, to lift it.

With all said above; a big thumbs up from me.

P.S. Sadly Black Knowl had let someone else take my pre-booked hardstanding (the last one), so I had to come home.

Regards,

Colin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that @ColinandDawn i have to say, where there is below ground sewage dumping facilities, they have all been easily operated by me, a mere female, on my own some. It's the higher up ones that cause the problem. We have, however, found a cheap £13 tote. So will make use of that if the need arises.

Thank you every one. :bear:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back