Setting off configuration - Water (1 Viewer)

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
Morning,

Quick question - I’ve seen a few posts, here and elsewhere, about people ready to set off on a trip and they have stated their water load as full fresh water and half grey water/waste. This may be a very stupid newbie question but why do people set off with half grey water?

Thanks,

Ash

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Morning,

Quick question - I’ve seen a few posts, here and elsewhere, about people ready to set off on a trip and they have stated their water load as full fresh water and half grey water/waste. This may be a very stupid newbie question but why do people set off with half grey water?

Thanks,

Ash
I don't know either. Having said that, the only reference I have seen about setting off with the grey tank half full of late is someone who did that on the way to a weighbridge to check their maximum weight.

We use Aires and sometimes wildcamp. As we rarely know where we are going to stop when we set out at the beginning of a day we always take every opportunity to keep our water tank full and dump our grey waste, and our black waste if possible. Can't remember any time that we have filled up our water tank and failed to dump our grey waste though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ashypants

Ashypants

Free Member
Jan 25, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
I don't know either. Having said that, the only reference I have seen about setting off with the grey tank half full of late is someone who did that on the way to a weighbridge to check their maximum weight.

Thanks - this may have been the bit I missed - makes sense when going to weigh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When you find an aire that needs jetons for fresh water, there is usually a chance to empty waste black and grey. Use some grey to rinse cassette

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We travel with 1/4 fresh water if going on a short trip 2 days max or heading to a site. If wild camping we take as much water as we need for the duration.
If we are wild camping on hard standing we will have grey waste onboard but if parked on grass we water the grass (My Bad)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No-one of sound mind would carry waste around with them deliberately. But this is a ‘Fun’ group and the topic of Grey Waste is often used as an opportunity for some to pull a leg or two.

Water is heavy (waste slightly heavier) so I carry as little as possible. That great weight sloshing around cannot enhance fuel consumption or stability, although I can’t say I’ve ever noticed. If I’m going somewhere I know will have water, I take none to very little. If wilding, though, I’ll fill the fresh to the brim.

Waste is waste. You don’t want it, so dispense with it at every opportunity. The last journey of a trip, I will empty the waste, flush it a bit, then fill with the remainder of the hot water and some disinfectant. I empty that when I get home, after it’s had time to clean the waste tank up a bit. Try not to allow solids into the waste: if they collect it’ll start to pong.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Another silly question from a beginner.
If you are passing a campsite and you only want to dump waste and/or fill up with fresh water , presumably you can just pull in and do so?
Is there a nominal charge ?
We are CCC members , so can we do it free on their sites?

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
If you are passing a campsite and you only want to dump waste and/or fill up with fresh water , presumably you can just pull in and do so?

In the UK, I believe CCC members can use facilities but are charged £7.50 for the privilege. No where else will let you just pull in and use services unless you have a booking with them for the night. I'm aware of a couple of UK style aires, Lytham St Annes being one, where they have the facility for dumping black waste and if you have a watering can, could fill up with fresh water.

This is why travelling in Europe is sooooo much easier with many aires having facilities where you can do just as you've asked, some are free and others have a nominal charge.

To summarise, generally when travelling in the UK you need to plan more then when travelling over on the continent.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Probably not, CMC notoriously don’t allow it but you might find a private campsite that does for a fee. Do not just pull in and use them.

Upvote 0

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
No-one of sound mind would carry waste around with them deliberately. But this is a ‘Fun’ group and the topic of Grey Waste is often used as an opportunity for some to pull a leg or two.

Water is heavy (waste slightly heavier) so I carry as little as possible. That great weight sloshing around cannot enhance fuel consumption or stability, although I can’t say I’ve ever noticed. If I’m going somewhere I know will have water, I take none to very little. If wilding, though, I’ll fill the fresh to the brim.

Waste is waste. You don’t want it, so dispense with it at every opportunity. The last journey of a trip, I will empty the waste, flush it a bit, then fill with the remainder of the hot water and some disinfectant. I empty that when I get home, after it’s had time to clean the waste tank up a bit. Try not to allow solids into the waste: if they collect it’ll start to pong.

Yes - good idea to disinfect it a bit - sometimes I do purposely leave shower grey waste in the tank to swill around and help clean it up a bit as it swoshes about :)

Upvote 0

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I have been refused at a campsite in France (near Barfleur IIRC) - I asked how much they wanted to charge for me to empty and refill - a flat Charles De Gaulle "Non!" ensued.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, you can empty but there is (normally) a charge. The charge covers use of ablutions and taking on water, staying for a couple of hours.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back