Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
No showers, no toilets, no playgrounds, no pubs, no swimming pools... but they do have hook ups! Pitches are clearings in the forest itself, rather than just a big flat field, so much more 'foresty'. Loads of walks straight out of your van that can go on for miles and miles if you want them to. Select pitches are much better than the slightly cheaper ones - bigger, higher up, more secluded, and a picnic table. Close to nice towns, villages and the coast.

We love it!

Setthorns Campsite
New Milton, Hampshire BH25 5WA
01590 681020
www.campingintheforest.co.uk

https://goo.gl/maps/Sx5tc

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
And only a short walk through the forest to the pubs, cafes and shop's of Sway.:winky:
how short a walk if i may ask. OH cant walk too far and i am a bit fed up of going to sites where it is stated " a 10 minute stroll to the pub/village/shop" and its more like 30 minutes brisk walk!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
how short a walk if i may ask. OH cant walk too far and i am a bit fed up of going to sites where it is stated " a 10 minute stroll to the pub/village/shop" and its more like 30 minutes brisk walk!!
Centre of the site to the centre of Sway 1.7 miles downhill most of the way that means uphill back, takes about 40 min. Useful for the train to Bournemouth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Centre of the site to the centre of Sway 1.7 miles downhill most of the way that means uphill back, takes about 40 min. Useful for the train to Bournemouth.
Thanks, it nice to get an accurate assessment 👍

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
That was the very first site we camped in - our trial run . Lots of trees so be aware of the satellite signal and away is quirky but I like that . From where we were parked it didn’t have broad vistas to gaze at but cannot state that for the rest of the site . All in all basic , natural, clean - but those local low bridges give the newbie moho owner a moments panic (they aren’t that low btw )

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I'm going to give it a try in September as we like the New Forest, normally stay at <Broken link removed> is a great site on the edge of the forest but I think we have covered off most of the walks in this area.

Thanks (y)

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
I'm going to give it a try in September as we like the New Forest, normally stay at <Broken link removed> is a great site on the edge of the forest but I think we have covered off most of the walks in this area.

Thanks (y)
We like redshoot. Lovely little site if not a bit pricey. We’re booked in at setthorns for august bank holiday

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
That was the very first site we camped in - our trial run . Lots of trees so be aware of the satellite signal and away is quirky but I like that . From where we were parked it didn’t have broad vistas to gaze at but cannot state that for the rest of the site . All in all basic , natural, clean - but those local low bridges give the newbie moho owner a moments panic (they aren’t that low btw )
Snap, it was our first trip too, I made a Horlicks of almost everything but a great start to our motorhoming.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Stayed in Setthorns in July, loved it quite a few service points (need to have a wastemaster or bucket) walks amazing, village of Sway close by, staff brilliant. Wildlife is amazing, kids love it building dens etc, walks fairly level for our wheelchair bound daughter.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    754.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    483 KB · Views: 32
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Love going to Setthorns any time of year, great value for money, wish all sites were priced this way, we dont need toilets, shower blocks, or even an EHU, great to camp amongst the wild life....animals that is, not the campers.:giggle:
Alas its too far to walk into Sway Town for the Mrs, we did it on our Bikes last time. Our favourite Pub for meals & Real Ale is The Hare & Hounds, great atmosphere, sometimes difficult to leave in the colder months and get back on the bikes, it can get a bit blowy across the moor.
I am sure all will enjoy their time there.
LES

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
We should have stayed there in August but the water heater packed up while we were in Wales so we cancelled Setthorns .So looking forward to staying there next year.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Just sat outside van at Setthorns had a fantastic 4 nights in the Forest helped by great weather! Would highly recommend especially if you like walking/biking.
We tried both pubs in Sway but the Silver Hind was far better/friendlier than the Hare and Hounds (in our opinion).
Can’t wait to return!👍

ReneeSkylark

Free Member
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We tried both pubs in Sway but the Silver Hind was far better/friendlier than the Hare and Hounds (in our opinion).
Agree, Silver Hind much friendlier.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sorry to hear your comments about The Hare & Hounds Pub, it was one of the things we looked forward to visiting when we stayed at Setthorns.
We will have to try The Silver Hind next time, will have to look up on Google maps to see where it is as I cant remember passing it.
Did an of you try the Butchers in Sway? He had a good selection of BBQ stuff and the sausages were very good also.
Best wishes to all.
LES

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Sorry to hear your comments about The Hare & Hounds Pub, it was one of the things we looked forward to visiting when we stayed at Setthorns.
We will have to try The Silver Hind next time, will have to look up on Google maps to see where it is as I cant remember passing it.
Did an of you try the Butchers in Sway? He had a good selection of BBQ stuff and the sausages were very good also.
Best wishes to all.
LES
I guess it might have changed hands or maybe an off night!
The Silver Hind is just up the road from the butchers (opposite side).

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Try "The Gun" in Keyhaven fabulous menu and excellent service.
Now that is a serious cycle ride from Setthorns, especially for a Blue Badge holder like The Mrs, perhaps I could make a day of it on me own, and bring her back a doggie bag, what do ya reckon on my chances.:giggle::imoutahere:
Just thinking, I wonder if a Britstop Pub?, how big is the car park I wonder?
EDIT: Car Park Opposite Pub Pay & Display £9 for 20 hours max, no overnight sleeping.:crying:
LES

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Now that is a serious cycle ride from Setthorns, especially for a Blue Badge holder like The Mrs, perhaps I could make a day of it on me own, and bring her back a doggie bag, what do ya reckon on my chances.:giggle::imoutahere:
Just thinking, I wonder if a Britstop Pub?, how big is the car park I wonder?
LES
It doesn't have it own but there's a public car park opposite it. I haven't been that way for years but I doubt you can overnight there. Keyhaven is upmarket!

Be careful parking on the coast road if a Spring tide is forecast. I came back to my car after an evening's fishing to find the water almost halfway up the wheels.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks DBK I have just viewed the large car park opposite, and updated post above, pay & display 20 hours max, I wonder how its policed, guessing its CCTV these days, shame if it is, looks like a nice stop for the day/evening.
Following you round the Highlands, have fun.
LES

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Booked for February, looking forward to the different season. May need the slow cooker for a welcome casserole and a glass (or two) of red wine

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We were there in July and to be fair the wardens did their best. But the site had been neglected through lockdown and was in very poor condition. Overgrown, deep muddy ruts and loads of permanent vans in need of rescuing. I would have called it like a travellers site but even they would avoid it

Been before, but never going back. Sky high charges and absolutely nothing special anymore. There are far nicer sites throughout the area.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
We went there in April for a couple of nights, and loved it. On one of the select pitches, looking out into a forested area so no grand vistas but we had our own "private" view and both ponies and deer wandering into our pitch. Far nicer than a manicured car park with rows upon rows of perfectly lined up vans that many sites are. It was quite full, I think we had the choice of only four or five pitches when we arrived early afternoon. Nice and quiet in the evening too.

We had the bicycles with us, and found a byway/quiet road route down to Milton on Sea, walked along the coast path with the dog to Barton on Sea, then rode back on busier roads. Once in the forest we stopped for a picnic and finished off riding on what I think was an old railway line that goes straight through the site.
We'll be going back.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We stayed in the forest years ago, but they don't allow dogs at Setthorns now.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Setthorns do allow dogs, booked mine in next February, It even says pets welcome on their website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back