Servicing the winnie (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just been servicing the bus and as it's now done 37,000 miles thought I would change the fuel filter, its on the drivers side just in front of the fuel tank on the inside of the chassis rail, easy to get to, NOT! The one I had a Purolator didn't fit turns out workhorse changed the filter from sometime in 2004 onwards to a different design, and there is no pattern part, you have to buy the genuine article.

Got one from West Midland Link Removed over £40! not their fault, yank sites have been moaning about the price over there about $60 I believe, but this guy has made an adaptor Link Removed so you can fit the old type. Not sure that's worth messing about with myself as its likely to be another 4-5 years before I change it again.

Next decision is do I struggle to take the wheels off, to check the brakes etc? or book it in at a garage? got room in the garden but its all grass, and I don't have a safe way to lift it.

Decision made booked it in with Daves Motorhome Services at Cannock for April the 11th, going to an exhibition that weekend at the NEC so that fits in nicely.

Olley

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Hi Olley book it in I would..
I spent saturday under 5 tons of my van changing leaf springs, damn hard when a decent workshop could have done it in an hour... scary too!

got a major service to do, just making notes of what I may need from WM .. even my old chevy lump is horrendous with all the pipework on the top for emissions etc..

:) John

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John booked it in, as I get older I get more chicken, ::bigsmile: sometimes miss working at the dock, could have took it in on nights and done the whole job in a couple of hours, but thats on a concrete pad, 10 tonne trolley jack and air gun. :Sad:

Trouble is if you do it yourself you know its done right, and although there are others out there like Duncan there's also some bodgers, Keiths troubles with TW come to mind. Dave's a recommend from Linda so hopefully will be good. I only phoned him for the fuel filter, got talking and decided to let him do the brakes.

Going to be expensive though :cry: while he's doing that I am taking susan shopping. :Eeek:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Servicing

Shame you're so far from Bristol, Olley. We have our rig serviced at Pearce Bros in Avonmouth, and we can watch exactly what they are doing. Then we trundle in to Bristol, where the MOT takes place at the Bristol Council depot - same guy has handled it for the last four years.:Smile:

We rate West Midland very highly too, they give a cracking service; we even had one rig here in France that needed some parts, WM got them from the States and they arrived here within the week.:thumb:

Bob and Di

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi bob how's this for an idea? put a pit in, then we can come over for a holiday and service the van at the sametime.::bigsmile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
pit sounds good Bob ;)

Olley, yep worked in a garage weekday evenings when i was a schoolboy ( you couldn't do it now!) and on the night shift in a paper mill. Was a good time to spend on your vehicle ;)

agree with WM comment .. they even posted me a tool to use one weekend! great service to someone they didn't know !

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back