Servicing of Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I was a young man (sometime well back in the last millenium) I was told that diesels should have an oil/filter change every 6k miles or 6 months regardless of mileage. Of course oil was cheap then::bigsmile:The recommended service intervals on my Mercedes Rapido indicate that I would probably only need a service every 3-4 years on the mileage I do. I don't think I would get away with that and would stick with the 6 month idea.

What does the panel think ?:Confused:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well although Im young I must be old school then, if that makes sense.::bigsmile:

I would never let my van go more than 12 months without a minmal oil and filter change.
In fact just bought some today to get it done.

I would of thought your book says so many miles or so many months, whatever comes first.

All though im sure oil etc is much better nowadays. I still change mine after every long trip.

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Like a lot of modern vehicles it has all sorts of (possibly) useful things including a display that tells you how long to your next service.
I agree with you however.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I was a young man (sometime well back in the last millenium) I was told that diesels should have an oil/filter change every 6k miles or 6 months regardless of mileage. Of course oil was cheap then::bigsmile:The recommended service intervals on my Mercedes Rapido indicate that I would probably only need a service every 3-4 years on the mileage I do. I don't think I would get away with that and would stick with the 6 month idea.

What does the panel think ?:Confused:

i can remember when it was recommended an engine was de-coked at XXXX miles and valve clearances adjusted at every service.......when was the last time you heard of anyone having their car de-coked or the valve clearances adjusted at every service.

the factory designers/ engineers/ technicians spent a lot of time and money working out when a service should be done.

some items can deteriorate in time even with a very low annual mileage, hence 12'000 mls or 12 mths, whichever comes first, so stick to the recommended time/mileage intervals and you cant go far wrong.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I asked this question to a senior Peugeot development engineer, this was his reply.

I really cannot see the reason why some people change the oil other than when the handbook suggests. What they gain is difficult to understand. If the engine was working at high loads 24 hours a day or in very dusty conditions or very high or low temperatures perhaps arduous due conditions might apply and the oil may need changing slightly more often. However motorhomes don't seem to be used that often and I would suggest sticking to the regular service schedules. Should you not use the engine for very long periods 9 months 12 months then perhaps a change might be a good idea but before the idle period not after it.
The oil recommended in the handbook should be used, but any known brand should be ok. In 40 years inspecting damaged engines for Peugeot UK I cannot say I have seen one that was damaged by the use of unknown engine oil it is most likely damage is caused by how the vehicle was driven rather than the engine oil used.
Todays engine oil is designed to work at very high mileage and can cope very well with extreme conditions.
My advice is don't waste your money unless you can prove it is more economical to change at very low mileage.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
In my opinion this is probally the most important thing you can do for your engine and the money it costs is well worth it.
problem is with Mhs is they often go for a few weeks without a good run and so the oil has to work harder when it does.

I change my oil every 3000 and the filter every 6.

Phill

M

michaelc

Deleted User
in answer

Hi all, well if you look at the ever longer service intervals of new cars, you must ask yourself this one thing. Whats new on a new car. For a start the elecs are better and they are fuel injected and that as far as the engine goes is that. The engine still remains the same pistons go up and down and the big ends go round and round. The longer service times are just a selling point, to make the new buyer think he or she will not be for ever in the workshop spending more money on service costs. Lot how the car makers said cam belts did not need changing for 100,000 miles and then after so many snapped and wreaked the engine, the mileage and time cap came down to 40,000 miles and 4 years or so.
I look after my engine and change the oil and filter after 6000 miles and before any long trips away if its been standing for a few months.
better a good engine then a bad one.
michael

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
Just read my info book and it says 20000 miles or 2 years. I know you all say the engine is the same as years ago. Not so sure about that but certainly the oil is much better than years ago. So maybe that is one of the reasons for longer service intervals.

Sooty

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
its down to the mileage ,if a new van then sticking to service intervals .
if out of warranty then it every year .
my ten month old van had its first oil change done at 9500 miles as i want to go away to
Spain in february so its done now wile garage is quite at Christmas 15% off normal price
i believe in oil change every 10K even if oil is meant to last :RollEyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Certainly the modern vans have high performance diesel engines and these are designed to use semi or fully synthetic oil, which has vastly superior properties to normal mineral oil (and a vastly superior price, as well). Even with recommended oil change intervals of 20K miles, I would still change oil and filter once a year, using new oil to the manufacturer's specifications to give a balance between peace of mind and cost. No point in changing the oil without a new filter.........

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

My Mercedes car was fitted with a device that indicated when the service was required and i used to think this was just a count down indicator which worked against the recorded mileage, but on 2 or 3 occasions when it was indicating that the service was due in the next 4000 miles, i decided to just change the oil and filter and without any intervention or tampering the mileage service indicator went from 4000 to 6000 so the indicator must be working on more than just a count down, i have assumed it is testing the quality of the oil in someway so perhaps you should trust Mercedes technical ability.

I do think that the length of service intervals on all vehicles is driven by the fleet managers as the overall running costs are a major deciding factor in any fleet purchase,

Hope that helps,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back