Servicing Costs....ripoff ??? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just booked Fiat / Hymer into Fiat main dealer for 1st service, oil & filter change and check over, cost £195.
Sounds a lot to me or am I getting tight in my old age :Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends what the first service consists of I suppose ... sounds a little bit expensive to me but not a massive amount over what I'd expect.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes and no . I guess they must change £80 an hour or more plus oil and filter etc. Trouble is now nothing can be done on any motor without a computer and all the other technology nowadays and it's all got to be paid for. Gone are the days of your mate doing it on the side of a weekend with minimum tools.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... of course you don't HAVE to use a Fiat dealership to do the service, you can take it elsewhere so long as they use comparable or OEM parts and are VAT registered.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
... of course you don't HAVE to use a Fiat dealership to do the service, you can take it elsewhere so long as they use comparable or OEM parts and are VAT registered.

Trouble is main dealer service record always looks better when selling.
Perhaps a small price to pay .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe, but depends on how often it's been done and when you come to sell it, I'd prefer a full service record, even if its been done at a non-franchised garage, rather than one at a main dealer but not done so often. You need to do what you're happy with.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005

I think you've answered your own question Larry,Especially with your bus

being brand new(y).Go on......you can afford it.

John P:)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You might want to look closer at that comment I did and im still not sure :rolleyes:.

You are of course quite right, the law says so BUT what about years 2/3/4/5/6/7/
as these extra years ie year 2 on, are in addition to your statuary rights,
the dealer can in law apply what terms he desires and it might just be you have to go to him to maintain your free extra to your rights warranty.:Eeek:
who? wants to test it !!!!!????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You might want to look closer at that comment I did and im still not sure :rolleyes:.

You are of course quite right, the law says so BUT what about years 2/3/4/5/6/7/
as these extra years ie year 2 on, are in addition to your statuary rights,
the dealer can in law apply what terms he desires and it might just be you have to go to him to maintain your free extra to your rights warranty.:Eeek:
who? wants to test it !!!!!????
Now I'm totally confused as I can't fathom WHAT you are actually trying to say!!! :D2

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just booked Fiat / Hymer into Fiat main dealer for 1st service, oil & filter change and check over, cost £195.
I'm never surprised at the charges dealers make for servicing .. I expect about half what you paid will be for the oil, filter and disposal.

I have to decide where to take ours in a few weeks and thought may take it back to Becks.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Rip off or making a profit. Any business is designed to try and make a profit but I agree, sometimes it seems excessive. :eek:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Wait til you get to a major service, regardless of what is said about warranties Our 4 year old Fiat based Autotrail is serviced by a local commercial dealer we have know for years, we change oil and filter every year.
I would prefer to use someone I trust rather than a main dealer stranger.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have just had a low mileage check done for year 1 and cost about the same as yours. I did manage to get some "serviceman's" discount and got it A bit lower. If you are interested I could scan my bill for you(y)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
£195 is cheap Larry, our first service Peugeot quoted us £440.
I had the service done by an independent garage at a cost of £120.
I bought a new Harley Davidson in 2000 and they charged £350 for servicing 17 years ago. After the first service I did it myself at a cost of £80 for materials, oil, plugs, filters.
By the way I had the new dash panel fitted by Peugeot 2 weeks ago and had no problems with me using independent garage for the first service.
The only problem that I will have is this March when our van is 3 years old I will have to use Peugeot as they said that they will not perform any electronic updates until our van goes to them for its 3 year old service.

John.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Maybe, but depends on how often it's been done and when you come to sell it, I'd prefer a full service record, even if its been done at a non-franchised garage, rather than one at a main dealer but not done so often. You need to do what you're happy with.

As my op #1 this is the first service , and obviously a near one year old mhome so whilst I have it I will have to pay the price.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have just had a low mileage check done for year 1 and cost about the same as yours. I did manage to get some "serviceman's" discount and got it A bit lower. If you are interested I could scan my bill for you(y)

It sounds the same one as mine, a low mileage (3800) service which is an oil and filter change and check over .

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm never surprised at the charges dealers make for servicing .. I expect about half what you paid will be for the oil, filter and disposal.

I have to decide where to take ours in a few weeks and thought may take it back to Becks.

When I bought from Becks they suggested a Fiat dealership for base vehicle service.
I will take it to Becks for habitation check, hopefully a bit less :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You probably paid up to £50000 for your van so £195 is a drop in the ocean compared to overall cost of vehicle IMHO I would think it's very reasonable for oil and filter and general check up.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
You are in Norfolk Larry so you are expected to be tight:whistle:. Just had tag axle Burstner Delfin on Renault full service inc brake fluid, habitation and damp check. Just under £600 including 10 o/o Burstner club discount. I know could have done hab and damp check myself but may need to sell in august when reach 70.
Over £70 inc vat was oil.
Becks always service our motorhome inc Burstner Solano we purchased new in 2008.
They are so much busier now than 9 years ago, but still great service!
Steve

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When I bought from Becks they suggested a Fiat dealership for base vehicle service.
I will take it to Becks for habitation check, hopefully a bit less :rolleyes:
The problem I had with our last moho (Autocruise/Peugeot 4250kg) was finding a dealer locally with a lift of sufficient capacity for weight and length... for the last 3-4 years I took it to Simpsons who service over a pit and will probably have to go back but will also talk to Ford & Slater in Norwich.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Come on, get serious.

The oil filter is made from silk from the Schau Tang region where the silk for the Emperors' clothing has been made for 2000 years.

The oil is hand pumped, so as not to bruise it, from a well used years ago by Lawrence of Arabia to fill his Brough.

The workshop foreman will have at least 35 years experience and the mechanic will have served a 10 year apprenticeship followed by a masters degree in Cambridge.

This is The World of Hymer. Quite priceless.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Sorry LarryHappyChappy type fellow, you have loaded the gun and so I will fire it ..................................

Miserable OLD tight git. How Win puts up with you I will never understand. If there are two really hard done by ladies, it's her and OldMo's Judy. My god you and him together could so easily make the world a better place ............. cough cough, fares to Switzerland are not that expensive. :devil::Grin:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
With labour rates @ circa £50 per hour +, it's no surprise that servicing seems expensive.
try my part of the world and you are looking at £100+vat an hour,
it doesn't take much and you have a painful bill to pay,

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just had our Carthago serviced at Simpsons, Great Yarmouth. Excellent service as always.
First Fiat service at almost 2 years old and 20k miles.
Labour cost was £146 which included brakefluid change and greasing the AL-CO axle.
Got a bit of discount on the labour because I was cheeky and said they should do the job cheaper as I filled a vacant slot in the workshop just before Christmas = 15% discount. (y) :)

Add in the cost of parts, oil (£80) and vat and the total was £463. :eek:

Richard.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
decent oil and correct oem filter plus drain plug washer and recycling the waste oil is more than half that bill

labour at £50 per hour plus vat is a bargain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back