Service suggestions and costs? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The rubber seal on the filter cartridge - it's sort of o-ringy
Ah yes, thought you meant the sump plug washer. Seen that done a few times over the years by an apprentice, junior mechanic and muppets at the like of sh!tfit. Car or van using oil and brought in with a "fault" when checked it was the sump plug. Worst was cross threaded plug

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They managed to flood their workshop floor with oil when they managed to miss the O-ring off the filter on a change they did for me on a Jag years ago... Luckily realised whilst it was on the lift and stopped the engine quickly and no damage done
That would have been one fitter at one depot,,does not mean they are all useless,,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I use Hollis Autotech Ltd at Frognall, Deeping St James. 01778348831
Very good service at sensible prices. He will test your brake fluid and only change if it is required. He will also replace your pollen filter if fitted. Normally takes all the wheels off to ensure noting seized and it is better to check brake pads.
Can't find last price but it was very reasonable.

Reactions: M-J
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That would have been one fitter at one depot,,does not mean they are all useless,,,BUSBY.
Can't think of any visit to a garage that hasn't been bad for the car at the time. MOT excepted (when it passed).
Oil change - no filter seal oil pi$$ed everywhere.
Brake pipe for MOT - stopped MOT 12 months later when said brake pipe blew.
MOT fail on split driveshaft gaiter - replaced by garage to pass MOT. Gaiter came away from outer joint on the way home and chucked the grease everywhere.
Aircon pressure check and regas - lasted about 10 miles before warm air started coming through again - burst aircon pipe.
Rumbling from rear - garage fitted new diff, no change until I replaced a knackered wheel bearing.
The list goes on. This is why anything that isn't MOT or special equipment is now DIY

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
Very good service at sensible prices. He will test your brake fluid and only change if it is required. He will also replace your pollen filter if fitted. Normally takes all the wheels off to ensure noting seized and it is better to check brake pads.
Same here, used them twice now, first for cambelt and water pump. Secondly minor service -oil and filter change with general check over plus MOT(outsourced). Certainly will use again,

Reactions: M-J
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Same here, used them twice now, first for cambelt and water pump. Secondly minor service -oil and filter change with general check over plus MOT(outsourced). Certainly will use again,

Also known as Peterborough Motorhomes...

steveh57 any chance you can remember how much the minor service and mot was?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just a thought here just on an oil change, Oil is around £7.50 per Litre and you need six litre's and an oil filter is about £15, plus sump washer. You may be able to shop around and get it cheaper but that's the dealer price so your looking at around £65 for parts. Average Salary for a Commercial vehicle Technician is around £30K, the actual labour cost based on an hours work is £15, this now comes to £80.

On top of that you have: Holiday Pay, Waste disposal costs, rent, rates, depreciation Workshop costs, plus Supervisor, receptionist, Accountant, accountancy, security fees, stocking costs etc lets assume you pay £120 for a filer and oil change. I cant see Much profit being made out of that so are you being ripped off probably not.

But if you can do it cheaper yourself I do not think anyone is saying you shouldn't.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Also known as Peterborough Motorhomes...

steveh57 any chance you can remember how much the minor service and mot was?
Including the VAT and the MOT £152

Thank you, I am just waiting for a call back to confirm price including fuel filter and diary availability.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Depends to some extent upon your mileage since the last service.
I don't ask what's 'available' but I tell them what I want done. E.g. I don't want to pay garage rates for someone to top up my washer bottle, brake fluid, check tyre pressures, wiper blades, lights, oil the door hinges etc.
You need to check if it's due a replacement cambelt (usually accompanied by water pump and belt tensioner).
Otherwise I request a change of oil and engine and fuel filters.
I would never use a main dealer with extortionate labour rates.
If you indicate where you are maybe someone can recommend an independent.
If you live in the Aldridge, Walsall, North East Birmingham area I use North Birmingham Motors in Aldridge who can accommodate my 3.2 metre high Moho. They have a website if you Google the name. It is there right now having some brakes attended to and the MOT. Not expensive and small, family run outfit which I have used for the past 11 years. They will even deliver back to you.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Thank you, I am just waiting for a call back to confirm price including fuel filter and diary availability.

All booked, £150 for the interim service, £75 for the filter if I need it (will check previous services) £50 for the MOT

Turns out I know the owners and they live about 100 yards from me in the next street!

Thank you for all the replies/suggestions.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
All booked, £150 for the interim service, £75 for the filter if I need it (will check previous services) £50 for the MOT

Turns out I know the owners and they live about 100 yards from me in the next street!

Thank you for all the replies/suggestions.

All done, £267.06 including fuel filter and they are even delivering it back to me this evening.

(y) :clap:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back