Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
Me again after some advice from you knowledgable folks.
If I'm buying a van from a reputable dealer and will get 12 months warranty, full service and habitation check / certificate, is it a problem that they have no service history present ? They have said if the cam belt needs doing they will do that . 41000 miles on clock

Deleted User
It is when you come to sell it in the future that you may have a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Would still want history , any wriggle room for not honouring warranty will be foremost for company not wanting to repair

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What does kit mean?

it's the cam belt plus tension pulleys .. comes in a 'kit'

generic image
71736716.jpg

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I would ask for a full service to be carried out, and as others have said the belt/kit done.

You then know both jobs have been done, so can get on with enjoying your MH.

I would ask for docs for works to keep for when I sold on, and would keep any further receipts in a folder (any further services or works you do yourself)

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wouldn't worry about stamps in a book, but a nice pile of receipts showing what been done over the years is a must.

Mine shows me my battery is 7 years old, the cam belt was done 8k miles ago, in 2011 it only did 92 miles, the aux belts are nearly new, the van has a history of squeaky belts and all the tyres are getting on a bit despite having plenty of tread on them.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If all servicing was done at the same garage then presumably the garage would have a continuous record, although you'd probably need the previous owner to ask them for a copy, due to data protection rules. Only guessing here by the way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the advice , I have looked up reviews on them and they have achieved gold standard customer service for the last two years , they are a family run business and have already said they would do cam belt so think I will take my husband to look tomorrow and maybe buying our first MH together

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If you buy a motorhome with or without service history do some due diligence.

Check steering wheel for alignment.
Check steering wheel for wear.
Check steering for play
Check pedal rubbers for wear.
Check panels are all spaced correctly.
Check under bonnet for oil leaks
Take off oil cap and check for gunge on and around it
Check exhaust for soot on first start up.

Test drive for a few miles and make sure the engine gets up to temperature and go up and down all the gears.

Check the tyres for wear, age and that they all have the same tread pattern ( a well looked after van will have all the same tyres)
Tyres shouldn't be anymore than 5 years old.

Check inside all the cupboards and under all the seats for damp patches or musty smells.

Don't be shy in doing these checks as the salesman won't have checked all these for himself but will try to reassure you all the time.

If you find anything wrong with the van let the salesman know about it and agree for it to be rectified before you collect it.

If you are getting a 1 year warranty with the van, it is to cover future issues not for the things that maybe wrong before you buy.

If you pick up on issues after you get the van it maybe harder to get them sorted after collection.

Remember it is a buyers market and there are plenty of vans to chose from.

Having said all this reputable dealers don't like aftersales issues.

Good luck and welcome to fun.

Bobby.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Would not touch anything without full service history and stamped book...

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What does kit mean?

It means .
Cam belt
Any relevant tensioners and pulleys
And the water pump.
May also in some cases require an Auxillary belt.

If the Can belt is replaced but not the pulleys or water pump and they go the belt will snap anyway. No point in changing just the belt.

Best do the lot ! Belt and braces if you like.

Personally I would NOT buy an expensive vehicle that does not have proper service history no matter what !

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
[QUOTE="Charlie,Personally I would NOT buy an expensive vehicle that does not have proper service history no matter what ![/QUOTE]

Service history book stamped up means nothing.

Example; Broken Link Removed

(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Don't think I have ever bought a vehicle with much in the way of service history and not had a bad one yet but then again never had a Fiat (joke before I get banned) Always service and repair in our own workshops and keep all receipts and mot's.

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
[QUOTE="Charlie,Personally I would NOT buy an expensive vehicle that does not have proper service history no matter what !

(y)[/QUOTE]

Try telling a sales exec that if you are trying to part Ex in a vehicle...

Sorry but your comment is absolute rubbish.

Service history proves that a vehicle has at least had the required maintenance required to help keep it fit and healthy.

Many buyers of prestige vehicles will simply not even look at a car like say a BMW or a Jaguar that does not have full and proper Dealer history.

Anyone who buys expensive vehicles without checking with the dealers that the book is backed up by the computer records is being remiss to say the least !

Your link shows what is clearly available but for anyone to make up service history and use it to sell a vehicle is committing a criminal offence. Its called Fraud....

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think I have ever bought a vehicle with much in the way of service history and not had a bad one yet but then again never had a Fiat (joke before I get banned) Always service and repair in our own workshops and keep all receipts and mot's.
Going by your avatar, you won't need any service history with your van , as long as you can keep the body on it , it will run for ever(y)(y):)

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

(y)
.[/QUOTE]

Really!! You might do well to read my post again!!:whistle:

I will not hold my breath for a reply

(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
image.jpeg

This is our old one , wouldn't know a service history if it run over it but took us round France , Italy and Spain more than once, this is in the Alps.
We havnt got it anymore but it's still on the road with someone else

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Really!! You might do well to read my post again!!:whistle:

I will not hold my breath for a reply

(y)[/QUOTE]

Your post said "Service history book stamped up means nothing"

How do you think this reads ?

It could be that having no service history has no impact on either value or saleabilty of the vehicle. In this case we are talking Motor Homes so with even at the budget end of the scale expensive must surely apply ...

Or it could be that its so easy to buy a service book and fake it. That is as I said above a fraudulent criminal act and one that is so easily exposed if the buyer checks the history is valid.

I am man enough to apologise if I have insulted you in some way . I take it I have due to your sarcastic post above,

Service history is very important on vehicles of high value. Of course when the value decreases to small amounts its less important. Me ? No way would I pay out my hard earned for any vehicle that has not been maintained.

Upvote 0

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I would insist on a cam belt change, it is the only major problem you could have outside of the warranty period, you will pick up on any other issues during a short period of ownership. Make sure both the vehicle and leisure batteries are good, again you may find this out during the warranty period. Personally from experience I don't trust service histories, I have sold cars to dealers before with no service history then seen them advertised with full service history, I guess they just put their own stamps in the empty dates.

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I would insist on a cam belt change, it is the only major problem you could have outside of the warranty period, you will pick up on any other issues during a short period of ownership. Make sure both the vehicle and leisure batteries are good, again you may find this out during the warranty period. Personally from experience I don't trust service histories, I have sold cars to dealers before with no service history then seen them advertised with full service history, I guess they just put their own stamps in the empty dates.

So other than a cam belt change nothing else can go wrong with a vehicle ?

Please show me a warranty that covers batteries ?

It is entirely possible to replicate a service history IF it is traceable. IE its on the manufacturers or dealers mainframe computers.

Dealers will take cars in PX with no history but at a reduced value. If of course they have been diligent and checked the vehicle out then they could take a vehicle in at a reduced value and easily replicate the service history book.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Just a thought, if it was a coachbuilt I would be much more concerned about the condition of the body than the mechanicals reading numerous reports on hereabout damp and bits falling off. But they all come with a habitation certificate so must be OK mustn't they.

Upvote 0

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
You are right Charlie batteries are not covered, I should have said make sure they are in good condition before driving away but I am sure most dealers would change a faulty battery if a problem occurred in the first couple of weeks...not all though.

A service history may be traceable but due to cost many opt to do the service themselves or indeed use a mobile service agent who may or may not be able to stamp your book, thus records will not be complete. Regarding the reduced value you are right, many dealers will reduce the value by the cost of a service or two so you are better off getting it done, it is expensive but now I get my services done with non-frachise agents that can officially stamp the service book.

My next problem in February will be trying to find an independent service agent that can do my MH. We have a local VW van agent but that is pricy and there is a Mercedes commercial vehicle agent, I have seen MH's in there so might see if they do 'other' vans.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Personally from experience I don't trust service histories, I have sold cars to dealers before with no service history then seen them advertised with full service history, I guess they just put their own stamps in the empty dates.

I have sold one owner vehicles & part .ex'd them here with full service histories , only to see them appear a couple of weeks later with 20 or 30k kms less on them & no mention of service history.It is like the UK in the 70's here re clocking. :LOL: Like the wild west.:(

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You are right Charlie batteries are not covered, I should have said make sure they are in good condition before driving away but I am sure most dealers would change a faulty battery if a problem occurred in the first couple of weeks...not all though.

A service history may be traceable but due to cost many opt to do the service themselves or indeed use a mobile service agent who may or may not be able to stamp your book, thus records will not be complete. Regarding the reduced value you are right, many dealers will reduce the value by the cost of a service or two so you are better off getting it done, it is expensive but now I get my services done with non-frachise agents that can officially stamp the service book.

My next problem in February will be trying to find an independent service agent that can do my MH. We have a local VW van agent but that is pricy and there is a Mercedes commercial vehicle agent, I have seen MH's in there so might see if they do 'other' vans.

Any competent garage can do the service on your van.. It is after all the same as mine IE just a commercial vehicle with a motorhome body on it. Same engines same gearboxes there are few mechanical differences.

My main point is many and that includes me will not even go to view a vehicle that has no service history.
I once sold a BMW M3 that had not had the 1100 mile running in service stamped in the book. A chap committed to buying it dropped out immediately it became apparent. As it was I managed to ascertain it had been done and duly got the stamp in the book. By this time I had lost the buyer.

These vehicles of ours cost a blooming lot of money. They work hard do the mechanicals heaving a heavy old load.

Why on earth would we part with our cash unless we know they have been looked after ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back