Free Member
Oct 31, 2007
cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
Just to set the record straight went to vosa to clear up the service history saga,
and was given a leaflet.
MOTCompl/1632/sep 07

I quote

How diesel emissions are tested.
The test has been developed so that it should not damage your engine.
The tester will check the maintenance history of your vehicle by asking you some questions. The tester must refuse to test your vehicle if he thinks that the smoke test may
damage your vehicle.

When i asked if this was comming into force, i was told a lot of garages are asking for this
because a lot of claims have been made.

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so if the garage does ask, it will be a verbal check not a documentational check......

The tester will check the maintenance history of your vehicle by asking you some questions

so the lack of maintainance records is no reason to refuse a test as he could have asked the relevent questions.

OP
OP
monacosteve

monacosteve

Free Member
Oct 31, 2007
cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mot

I supose it will be down to the individual doing the test, and wether or not he is a jobsworth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I quote

How diesel emissions are tested.
The test has been developed so that it should not damage your engine.
The tester will check the maintenance history of your vehicle by asking you some questions. The tester must refuse to test your vehicle if he thinks that the smoke test may
damage your vehicle.

When i asked if this was coming into force, i was told a lot of garages are asking for this
because a lot of claims have been made.

Steve
This will prove very interesting as i'm due an MOT on my van next week.

I'm wondering if this has more to do with some potty HSE business about 'smoke' fumes affecting garage employees than 'damaging the vehicle'. After all, if any engine is smoking so badly then it's already pretty much 'shot' anyway and most certainly isn't going to pass an emmisions test.

They currently use a probe in the exhaust and as far as i'm aware still do. I can't see that ever being able to cause any damage.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
the damage VOSA / MOT tester refer to is surely to so with the cambelt change (or lack of), and that's why they question the history...
if it is unclear from the owner when the belt was changed, the MOT tester should really refuse to do test, or at least make the owner realise the tester is not liable..

the engine needs to be held Wide-Open to complete the exhaust gas analysis... a few times...

if any engine is smoking so badly then it's already pretty much 'shot'

noo...

there are different reasons for a smoker, and a lot of them dont consign an engine to the bin :)

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
the damage VOSA / MOT tester refer to is surely to so with the cambelt change (or lack of), and that's why they question the history...
if it is unclear from the owner when the belt was changed, the MOT tester should really refuse to do test, or at least make the owner realise the tester is not liable..

the engine needs to be held Wide-Open to complete the exhaust gas analysis... a few times...
Usually taken up to normal running temp with readings taken at different settings. Maybe Geo could give more precise detail on this? Not sure of the exact rpm's but it's never maxed as that would actually read lower than if it was on idle.

there are different reasons for a smoker, and a lot of them dont consign an engine to the bin :)
Like knackered piston rings, worn bores or running on crap oil....all of which will eventually consign that engine to the breakers yard. Either way, if it doesn't meet the emmision test figures set for that model engine, then it's a failure. If it's a carburetter engine, then adjustment may be possible there.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
yep Bullet :)

Going to emission test my petrol chevy tomorrow! brought an old analyser last week :Eeek:

my deisel runs on WVO happily :ROFLMAO:

Soundman

Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
I had an MOT done last Friday (Merc diesel).
The emissions test was done immediatley I got there while the engine was still warm.
One full thottle push. Passed OK :thumb:

Soundman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Usually taken up to normal running temp with readings taken at different settings. Maybe Geo could give more precise detail on this? Not sure of the exact rpm's but it's never maxed as that would actually read lower than if it was on idle..

if its a diesel then it WILL be revved to the governer momenterily, usually 3 times to get an average reading.

as a diesel has no throttle as such, just maximum air flow at all revs and the amount of fuel injected controls the revs , it will produce most smoke/soot at full revs...constant max air flow, max fuel injection.

temp probe is to determine oil temp prior to smoke test.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I take my winnie V8 petrol to the ministry station (That's the one owned by the ministry) in 07 at its first test they had a problem doing the exhaust gas test but eventually sorted it, last year he said we ain't got the gear to test it anymore, ours only does diesels "you have it serviced don't you?" yes says I, "that's good enough" says he. ::bigsmile:

My brother who like Geo is a tester was right ****ed off, "bloody ministry, if I did that they would take away my licence"

Olley

Last edited:

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
agree :)

one other thing I did learn last weekend..

for diesels, pressing the throttle while cranking makes sod all difference to anything :)

the pedal simply is a gov'ner restriction, and as such, only comes into play when the engine is actually running :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I take my winnie V8 petrol to the ministry station (That's the one owned by the ministry) in 07 at its first test they had a problem doing the exhaust gas test but eventually sorted it, last year he said we ain't got the gear to test it anymore, ours only does diesels "you have it serviced don't you?" yes says I, "that's good enough" says he. ::bigsmile:

My brother who like Geo is a tester was right ****ed off, "bloody ministry, if I did that they would take away my licence"

Olley

have a job doing that now....its all computerised and recorded. :Angry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hell John you have got me thinking now (not nice) I can remember moving the rack on the side of a simms, but can't remember whether the throttle lever moved it or not.

Mind you it was 20 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi john simms inline injection pump, the other type was the rotary Lucas DPA which were pigs to bleed. :Sad:

simms02.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
have a job doing that now....its all computerised and recorded. :Angry:

Hi papa, they are computerised, but the tester enters the figures in himself, so he can stick in what he likes. And who's going to check on what the ministry do themselves anyway?

olley

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back