"Seriously"....... What do you miss most..?????? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I miss the freedom of thought of being able to up sticks and cruise off in the MH, even if we did not go that week, just the thought of the freedom to do it.

Just like on my boat for all those years of upping anchor.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
I'm in a relatively unique position.
I lost everything I held dear a year or so before the virus. The first domino fell... and the whole collapsed like a building being demolished.
the virus struck just as I'd garnered the strength to rebuild. I'd already grieved. Mostly. Assimilated my isolation before the enforced isolation.
luckily my friends had rallied despite my choice to hide away. I'd literally started going out a bit two months before the virus struck. So distanced support wasn't new to us.
when the virus struck the tables turned and it was I who supported them. Suddenly, it seems, I was the strong one. Likewise financially. Suddenly the church mouse was the rich one, well used as she was by scraping by.... those new to reduced circumstances were able to benefit from the wisdoms of her experience.

What do I miss?
good question

I miss intimacy. I miss looking into smiles. I miss reading faces. I miss leisurely navigating supermarkets and not having to get done and get gone in the unpleasantness. I miss spontaneity. I miss finding I have an hour to myself and filling it with pleasantness of coffee with a friend or window shopping, driving off somewhere and finding somewhere beautiful to be.
But
Importantly
I miss things I'd never truly had. Or at least not had enough of. So, for me, the virus has levelled the playing field. I'd been without the things so many take for granted for so long... the virus barely impacted. The last straw was ages before type of thing?

I'm genuinely hopeful that more compassion, tolerance, understanding, self awareness, kindness, grace and loving acceptance are born as a result of this communal trauma. I'm hoping enforced solitude and restriction is acting like a sabbatical and giving individuals the opportunity to reflect and heal so that rather than staying in an egotistical, selfish world we emerge like butterflies, full of love for one another. Which I'm not saying didn't exist but I'm hoping this cascades upwards and outwards.
I'm hopeful that opportunities, previously held away from me (and others) will present.
But the truth is I've reconciled myself to what I have and if nothing changes will be far more content and peaceful than I ever was previously. And it's a seemingly sad but actually happy place to be.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing. It had little impact on me personally thanks to a fantastic host.

The only thing that will change for me when it is all over is wearing a mask in shops will stop. Can't say it is something I am looking forward to as it isn't that much of a hassle.

It will be nice not to fear for elderly relatives and at risk friends.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'll NOT miss seeing pics of my 2 yr old grandson in his hospital bed in the cancer ward at Southampton. I do miss giving him and the 3 other grandchildren especially bigger hugs than ever before (been saving them up since March!)
That made me cry. I can't imagine how you must feel... Hope the little one in hospial gets lots of happy moments from the nurses too. X

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
children and grandchildren, some of whom I have not seen for a whole year, but I think mostly
the ability to “up and go” anywhere from ‘just shopping’ to an overnight/couple of nights /longer time away without wondering about proximity to others, tiers, etc. etc. Etc. I have a sneaky feeling that the mask thing will linger, but that’s not a problem.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure how to put this among all your posts of not seeing your grandchildren, but I am lucky in that way as all mine live within a hundred yards of me, some in the same house, so about the only thing it's done for me is not going to France in the van, everything else is just normal for me, don't go in pubs, very rarely go shopping, don't do swimming pools or gyms, cinemas or anything else really,
Maybe you will say I am sad but it's pretty much normal for me. (y)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Not sure how to put this among all your posts of not seeing your grandchildren, but I am lucky in that way as all mine live within a hundred yards of me, some in the same house, so about the only thing it's done for me is not going to France in the van, everything else is just normal for me, don't go in pubs, very rarely go shopping, don't do swimming pools or gyms, cinemas or anything else really,
No chaser , it’s not sad! You are very lucky to be content with your lot! I think a lot of people are realising that it’s the small things that are important - family, friends & home. Being able to travel is a luxury, & I hope to get back to it soon, but it’s my family & friends that are most important to me!

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Same here -been fed OK ,even having "take away "meal once a week from local pub .Simple life we"ve got "what you've never had "--Missed the freedom of going out where /when I want but been finding things to do at home /walks/garage etc. Luckier than a lot of folk though !

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
I'll NOT miss seeing pics of my 2 yr old grandson in his hospital bed in the cancer ward at Southampton. I do miss giving him and the 3 other grandchildren especially bigger hugs than ever before (been saving them up since March!)
I feel so well hugged and blessed to know you all. Thanks

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
We live a simple life really - don't see the children and grandchildren that often anyway, so my list is:
Jumble Sales - I have a year's 'stuff' under the bed, ready to go
Charity Shop - same thing really, lots of scrap for the ragman as well as pre-loved treasures to donate
Quilting groups - will they ever get together again ?...... and I'm sure I've forgotten their names
and the freedom to book holidays without fretting.
Choosing my own shopping at the supermarket.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I miss normality at work ,when you work with the public head on all day every day trying to make them adhere to covid rules and restrictions is very stressfull and has created a very anxious and stressful envirnoment to work in .Most of the public dont like being told what to do :mad: we have to get pretty angry with some of them .But anyway hopefully the vaccine will be a game changer and we can get back to some sort of normality in the not to distant future.
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back