Serious alko chassis question (1 Viewer)

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
Whilst away in spain we were put on a pitch that had quite a serious slope. We were unable to drive in head first or reverse because the pitch was broad as opposed to long (if you get my drift).

Anyway, we had to chock up on the two offfside wheels on milenco triple up chocks. It's a 4500kg van by the way.

Whilst walking about in the van we noticed an awful grinding noise coming from the lifted side so we got off the chocks, realigned and tried again. All seemed ok at first but then when I got up during the night this grinding noise was awful. We tried unsuccessfully to ramp up a few times without succes, each time the noise becoming worse. (We also lost everything in the freezer as it caused it to stop working). We eventually moved to a more level pitch, just chocking up on the driver wheel only.

Anyway, after this we developed a fault with the loo leaking into the garage and the bathroom of the van, soaking the carpet. This has happened a few times since. The flap that goes in front of the toilet cassette to hide it has also gone out of line.

Even now, parked on the flat , the chassis still makes a clunking, grinding noise. So what i want to know is, can an alko chassis be damaged by extreme levelling?

OP
OP
Stand Off

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
I would have thought the grinding noise was comming from the hand brake.

Yes that's possible, but the noise is still there even with handbrake off. And to be honest it's the alignment problem that's bugging me now. But then again, it could be coincidental.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
What age is the van?
When was the Al-KO chassis last greased?
I grease ours every year, just to be sure.
Hope this helps.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Get under and then get someone to move about in the van. May be a creaking rubber bush, shock absorber etc.

Is the van suspension sitting evenly when on level ground?
Does the rear end roll and crunch / bang when swerving our cornering?

OP
OP
Stand Off

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
Get under and then get someone to move about in the van. May be a creaking rubber bush, shock absorber etc.

Is the van suspension sitting evenly when on level ground?
Does the rear end roll and crunch / bang when swerving our cornering?

All seems ok when looking at the van. There is no discernible lean.

As for the noise when driving.......I have the radio that loud I probably wouldn't notice. I'll check though your other thoughts though.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I would be wary of putting any "excessive" twist into any coachbuilt
motorhome , as they are not "rigid" chassis . Those that are built for "expedition" type usage usually have anti twist mounting system on the habitation area , even Landrover box ladder chassis has a surprising range of movement in its quite short wheelbase. Having said all that front to rear or side to side leveling should not induce such stresses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't expect leveling on ramps to cause any damage. Sounds like the rubber bushes settling in the axle, worse case could be a torsion bar failing, I would get it checked out as a matter of urgency. If won't be much fun if the axle fails while driving.

OP
OP
Stand Off

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
The van is going back in next week for them to have a look at. I thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone had had the same or similar problems. Forearmed is forewarned and all that.

If i get a chance to take a pic beforehand, I will. It's kept in storage at the moment.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
N never had problems with ours on a maxi Alko chassis and have hydraulic jacks that will tip van side to side or end to end.
Some times the rear shocks creak a bit or the handbrake may creak but that's all one thing I always do is chock the wheels to stop movement

OP
OP
Stand Off

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
N never had problems with ours on a maxi Alko chassis and have hydraulic jacks that will tip van side to side or end to end.
Some times the rear shocks creak a bit or the handbrake may creak but that's all one thing I always do is chock the wheels to stop movement

Thanks for that Steve. The fact that a few things seem to have gone out of line since the chocking up in spain. Along with the cassette flap, the bathroom door has also gone extremely out of line. As you say, it's probably something and nothing but it doesn't stop me worrying. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I would be wary of putting any "excessive" twist into any coachbuilt
motorhome , as they are not "rigid" chassis . Those that are built for "expedition" type usage usually have anti twist mounting system on the habitation area , even Landrover box ladder chassis has a surprising range of movement in its quite short wheelbase. Having said all that front to rear or side to side leveling should not induce such stresses.
Having seen a 'naked' FIAT steel camping Base chassis at the NEC I find the idea of flexing very hard to believe. Putting a motorhome on a glorified aluminium caravan chassis I do find the idea of flexing believeable (and wouldn't go near one) which sounds like what may have happened here.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Could it be that there was already something wrong with the van and that putting it on to the ramps just highlighted a hitherto hidden problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Having seen a 'naked' FIAT steel camping Base chassis at the NEC I find the idea of flexing very hard to believe. Putting a motorhome on a glorified aluminium caravan chassis I do find the idea of flexing believeable (and wouldn't go near one) which sounds like what may have happened here.
Not aware of any motorhomes built on an aluminum chassis.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Needs to be up on a lift to try jacking various corners, it should soon reveal itself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back