Serbia: Pet Travel, Any problems? (1 Viewer)

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
We will shortly be travelling to Greece via, among other places, Serbia. Has anyone any information about what is required when transiting that country.

A brief history of our saga:
I contacted our vet three months ago and told them about our travel plans. Our vet told us we needed to contact DEFRA (APHA) who would have all of the information. Through DEFRA I originally spent some time going through the Pet Travel scheme which was the wrong course of action as Pet Travel is only for pets in the EU. Our vet then pointed me in the correct direction only to meet with the most convoluted numbered telephone response but I eventually got through. They sent me forms to fill out and I could see that these forms were not suitable as they were concerned with Pet Export but they did have a bit which asked for Transit Countries. So, I filled it out and sent it off by eMail. I got a phone call three days later to say they couldn't authorise the form as the final destination country was the UK, not Greece. I was advised to contact the respective embassies to find out what information I needed. Over time, all but two of the Balkan countries replied that a Pet Passport was sufficient. Serbia and Montenegro being the two that, in addition to the pet passport, required a Vet Certificate to be signed by, well, a vet. My vet is refusing to sign the certificate because it is not an official DEFRA document or has not been approved by them. I've been doing this Magic Roundabout for about three weeks now, we leave on the 10th April and it's still not sorted.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We took our dog to Greece via Montengro a couple of years ago and only had the Pet passport. We didn't have any problems, and in fact no-one at the border even checked her passport. I can't speak for Serbia. The first thing I would do is change your vet - he doesn't sound very helpful!!

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
In my current predicament, changing the vet isn't helpful either. On the Montenegro side we're going to chance it as it's on the way back, as for Serbia, we may go through Romania and Bulgaria. It's an extra 100 miles but for piece of mind will probably be worth it.

Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
One reason why your vet will not sign anything is that to enter Serbia your dog will need a document (vetinary certificate) in which the authorised veterinarian certifies that no case of rabies has been reported in the place of the animals origin in the last 6 months.
The document must be translated into Serbian. You can download a sample of the vet certificate here:- serbiaembusa.org/upfiles/PsiVetUverenje.doc
Animals imported or transiting into Serbia are not subject to quarantine but they are subject to a mandatory examination by the border vetinary service, regardless of you already having the appropriate certificate and for which you'll be charged the mandatory tax for the border vet exam. To enter and exit Serbia, you have to stop and show documentation (passport & vehicle log book (V5C)
We'll be travelling through Greece this summer with our 2 standard Poodles, but intend coming home via Bulgaria and Romania.
Also beware that when re-entering the UK that the UK border agency are well aware of which border you have passed through on your travels!

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Pete,

the reason the vet won't sign it, I stuck the same form in front of my vet two weeks ago, is because of the term, "Official Veterinarian", I thought this just meant an official veterinarian (no capital letters), but in the vet world, "Official Veterinarian" is a title which has been earned, due to 'special' training and, as part of which they must obey a certain set of rules, they probably have a secret handshake as well. One of those rules is that they cannot sign a document that has not been authorised by DEFRA or the APHA, which the form I was sent by the embassy and the form to which you sent a link, is not. I have had this confirmed by three local vets, the APHA and the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. All of this despite DEFRA/APHA telling me to go to the respective embassies to obtain the forms in the first place. I spoke with someone from the APHA today who have told me to go back to the Serbian embassy and try to get them to issue me with a 'private' vet certificate, one without the term, Official Veterinarian. Considering the last time I contacted the Serbian Embassy they took nearly two weeks to get back to me and we leave a week on Monday I think we'll be doing the circuitous route through Romania and Bulgaria.

The Serbian form does not contain any information regarding previous countries visited whether they are rabies free or not. It merely contains the same information that is in Storm, my dog's, Pet Passport. So if the term "Official Veterinarian" is replace by the term "Competent Veterinarian", surely the Vet's second in command could sign it, unless of course, the term "Competent Veterinarian" is a rank within the great order of Veterinarians, I would assume somewhere below that of "Official Veterinarian".

I started this process nearly three months ago so it's not as if I've left it to the last minute on purpose.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I can feel your frustration from here, which is why I never entertained the thought of going via Serbia (trust me, after driving through there on our way to Turkey for 3 years, you're not missing anything). Just console yourselves with the thought that you'll be able to take advantage of the cheaper fuel prices in Romania and Bulgaria.

Pete

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Pete, shame though as it's a box I'd like to tick off the bucket list if you will. I've done both Bulgaria and Romania when I was in the Navy but it will be an experience driving through under my own steam.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
My son wild camped in tents with friends in romania and found some beautiful places. 100miles is nothing, do the diversion and save yourself a lot of angst!

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, that's pretty much what we're going to do now. Four days and counting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back